U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 AM

5 posts, read 15,593 times

Advertisements

This is not meant to be a joke - we'd like to build a house and assuming the view is the same in all directions, which way should your house face?

Do you want the setting sun, the morning sun - and why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 AM

37 posts, read 84,785 times
This of course depends on many factors but the conventional wisdom would be to have the long dimension of the house facing north | south and the short dimension facing east | west. East | west light is low in the sky and harder to control when it comes into windows ... also afternoon sun tends to be the worst in regards to heat gains, etc. so typically reducing east west exposure is preferred. South exposure is more easily controlled with overhangs which block summer sun but let in the low mid-day sun in the winter ... but really other factors siting, views and entry sequence can and often do override these design intentions.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM

74,956 posts, read 35,666,890 times
North-South facing for passive solar. The breezes here run out of the north in the winter and out of the south in the summer. Very few to no windows on west ..avoid the setting sun.

My house is north/south facing. The front is towards north and the back towards south.
My kitchen gets the rising sun which isn't too bad even in the summer. I do have covered front and back porches and eaves long enough to block direct sun when it hits 11am or so.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM

14,405 posts, read 20,713,263 times
The above advice on orientation is correct, except for a quibble regarding wind direction.

Predominate wind directions for 11 months of the year are out of the South Southeast. The month of Dec. is the only month when winds out of the N NNE are more common then out of the South.

wind direction in Austin

Wind Roses 1984 - 1992 - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.state.tx.us

Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 AM

16,395 posts, read 22,627,024 times
Out here in the country north of Austin, with porches on front and back (back for the rising sun, front for the setting sun), and with no big buildings around to confuse things, the prevailing winds reliably come from the south/southeast in the warm months of the year, and from the north/northwest in the cold months of the year. .

What you'd want to do to decide how to situate your house is to pay attention to the lot. Not just the view, but everything about it. Also, the surroundings of the lot. Hang out on it at different times of day, see how it feels, what the prevailing breezes are on that particular lot, etc.

I'd think if you're going to have a breakfast area in your house, you'd want it to get the morning sun. You want as little of the western sun, in this part of the world, as possible - do plantings on that side. I don't think you should rule out windows on any side of the house, but, then, I live in a house that was built in the early 20th century, pre-air-conditioning, and with the windows placed properly, we can be comfortable long after everyone else has cranked up the AC, simply by opening the windows and, if necessary, turning on the ceiling fans. If we had no windows on the west side of the house, we couldn't do that.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM

14,405 posts, read 20,713,263 times
You definitely need to take into consideration the local terrain and landscaping. If your propert is on the North side of a hill you are not going to get many breezes from the South.

You definitely should consider adding trees to shade your house especially on the East and West.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 AM

650 posts, read 1,174,645 times
I'd do it so that your rear roof slant is facing south to allow for solar panels that don't muck up your curb appeal some time in the future.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:37 PM

8,633 posts, read 16,229,949 times
Our house faces North/South. We have windows on the West side of the house but planted trees near them to block some of the sunlight.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 PM

284 posts, read 475,630 times
ummmm, the street?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

74,956 posts, read 35,666,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't think you should rule out windows on any side of the house,...
I agree with that. I do have windows on all 4 sides..I have 2 bathrooms on the west side of the house and both have windows that open.

The breezes flow nicely through the house on the cools days when you can have all the windows open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: