Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzatina View Post
Hello Austinites,

After spending days trolling Craigslist and trying to sort out Austin's many neighborhoods, I was hoping you might help...I'm moving from Brooklyn and would love to maintain a pedestrian/bicycle lifestyle, is it possible? I would really like to rent in a historic area (not big on the huge luxury complex)...would love to be around farmers markets/health food store/vegetarian restaurants/coffee/yoga...I am looking for a liberal area...Can you point me in the right direction? South Austin?

Many Thanks
What is your budget? Are you looking to rent or buy? Do you have a job lined up in Austin?

Only a few neighborhoods in Austin are really going to fit your criteria. Your best bets are Hyde Park, Travis Heights, Clarksville, and Rosedale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
To be accurate, you don't care for it at all, even if hate is too strong a word. My sense from reading your posts this past year is that you find it backwards and you hold a certain amount of contempt for the area and good number of its residents. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, in a lot of ways I felt the same way about Seattle. However, despite my distaste for the culture and climate in Seattle, I am willing to accept that it works for a lot of people and if they want to live there, more power to them. I think the same can be said for Austin. It all comes down to what individuals value. Many people from the the NE move here and love it and I am sure many, like you, move here and hate it. It all comes down to expectations and individual preferences.
As long as you feel comfortable portraying my opinions more accurately that I can, the only thing that makes me feel contemptuous is the rabid over hyping of Austin here by people whose only frame of reference is Houston.

Austin is a nice, medium sized city. It has some nice amenities, pretty lousy food and limited cultural opportunities. The university is excellent, and the people within Austin are generally smart. (However being part of Texas there's still a bit too much Jesus and too little science) The winter weather is quite nice, the summer is oppressively hot. I don't like narrowminded, antisemitic homophobes anywhere, whether they be in Austin or New York.

Travel a bit, compare, live outside of Texas. You're still entitled to feel that Austin is the greatest place on Earth. For some it is. However, as you noted many people come from the Northeast with high expectations to encounter disappointment and that side of the story should be told as well.

I have no ulterior motive except to inform (and ridicule biased, racist, beliefs and Christian Hegemony)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
For what it is worth, I usually find that mlassoff tells it like it is!

His perspective is particularly valuable for folks from the NE who often don't really just how much they take for granted in their daily lives (amenities and attitudes that they take for granted and mistakenly assume will exist everywhere).

Perhaps a grain of salt is needed once in a while, but I find his opinion valuable (unlike y'all know who).

Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
For people thinking of moving to Texas, if you think that Christianity is deserving of attack and ridicule, then Texas, and even Austin, may not be for you. I am looking forward to a more wholesome place to raise my family. Those on the coasts are free to attack it, as long as they stay on the coasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As long as you feel comfortable portraying my opinions more accurately that I can, the only thing that makes me feel contemptuous is the rabid over hyping of Austin here by people whose only frame of reference is Houston.

Austin is a nice, medium sized city. It has some nice amenities, pretty lousy food and limited cultural opportunities. The university is excellent, and the people within Austin are generally smart. (However being part of Texas there's still a bit too much Jesus and too little science) The winter weather is quite nice, the summer is oppressively hot. I don't like narrowminded, antisemitic homophobes anywhere, whether they be in Austin or New York.

Travel a bit, compare, live outside of Texas. You're still entitled to feel that Austin is the greatest place on Earth. For some it is. However, as you noted many people come from the Northeast with high expectations to encounter disappointment and that side of the story should be told as well.

I have no ulterior motive except to inform (and ridicule biased, racist, beliefs and Christian Hegemony)

Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks for proving my point. Why does Christanity make a place more family-friendly and wholesome. As if a Jewish neighborhood wouldn't have those values? Nauseating arrogance.

If you think that being against Christian hegemony is the same thing as ridicule and attack, then I question where your defensiveness stems from.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
To be accurate, you don't care for it at all, even if hate is too strong a word. My sense from reading your posts this past year is that you find it backwards and you hold a certain amount of contempt for the area and good number of its residents. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, in a lot of ways I felt the same way about Seattle. However, despite my distaste for the culture and climate in Seattle, I am willing to accept that it works for a lot of people and if they want to live there, more power to them. I think the same can be said for Austin. It all comes down to what individuals value. Many people from the the NE move here and love it and I am sure many, like you, move here and hate it. It all comes down to expectations and individual preferences.
Why do people take offense if someone gives an honest opinion about a potential move? I would imagine one wouldn't want to hear just good stuff, if reality doesn't jive 100% with the same.....everyone has an opinion, and chiming in with one is what the questioners want, I presume...otherwise, they can just contact the local chamber of commerce and real estate agents for a 100% "just great" opinion.....

Reality is a mix of good and bad, just like life itself....and even great cities are not suited for everyone.....if you know a place that everyone in the world would be thrilled with, let me know.....

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Why do people take offense if someone gives an honest opinion about a potential move? I would imagine one wouldn't want to hear just good stuff, if reality doesn't jive 100% with the same.....everyone has an opinion, and chiming in with one is what the questioners want, I presume...otherwise, they can just contact the local chamber of commerce and real estate agents for a 100% "just great" opinion.....

Reality is a mix of good and bad, just like life itself....and even great cities are not suited for everyone.....if you know a place that everyone in the world would be thrilled with, let me know.....
I wasn't offended at all. I was just pointing out that his threads demonstrate he really isn't terribly neutral about the place. And yes sometimes his posts drip with contempt for some of the people that live here. But that doesn't mean that I am offended by it. Just pointing it out. As you may have gathered by now, I am pretty thick skinned.

BTW, I am an agnostic and don't find there to be "too much Jesus" here. It's fine that some of the people I know here are Christian. I have not felt threatened or judged by them. I guess I am just more tolerant of differences.

Last edited by Jennibc; 09-24-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: adding a final thought

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
BTW, I am an agnostic and don't find there to be "too much Jesus" here. It's fine that some of the people I know here are Christian. I have not felt threatened or judged by them. I guess I am just more tolerant of differences.
Yes, obviously you're a warrior for tolerance and I am an intolerant SOB. I just can't bring myself to tolerate intolerance. After all it's Christianity that makes things "wholesome and family friendly, right?

My comment about "too much Jesus" was more a reference to continuing events like the Texas State BoE trying to back door Christian Theology in to public high schools, organized prayer before public school sporting events, displays of Christmas related items on public land. On your property do you what you want. On public property-- well, I've said this before: I don't expect your tax dollars to support my Judaism, so why should mine support your Christianity.

Where you have public officials trying to argue theology as an alternative to science, you have too much Jesus.

Again, I think its something you can only understand if you are Jewish, Muslim or some other religious minority here-- and even then not every Jew feels as I do...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, obviously you're a warrior for tolerance and I am an intolerant SOB. I just can't bring myself to tolerate intolerance. After all it's Christianity that makes things "wholesome and family friendly, right?

My comment about "too much Jesus" was more a reference to continuing events like the Texas State BoE trying to back door Christian Theology in to public high schools, organized prayer before public school sporting events, displays of Christmas related items on public land. On your property do you what you want. On public property-- well, I've said this before: I don't expect your tax dollars to support my Judaism, so why should mine support your Christianity.

Where you have public officials trying to argue theology as an alternative to science, you have too much Jesus.

Again, I think its something you can only understand if you are Jewish, Muslim or some other religious minority here-- and even then not every Jew feels as I do...
So being a nonbeliever, I am not in the minority? I didn't say you weren't tolerant, I just have a feeling I am more tolerant of differing religions than you are, that's all. I wasn't the poster who wrote about Christianity making things more wholesome either - and that's not really what blakesq wrote anyway. He got defensive because he perceived that you took a slam at Christianity.

I just spent the last eight years in a city where people openly sneered about Christians and I found it very ugly. Just like I find it ugly when people use racial slurs or make derogatory comments about homosexuals. But I'm consistent that way. So if I see any of those things on this board I am going to call it out.

Note to ITC, the tone of this response should be read as calm and inquisitive

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM

60 posts, read 188,864 times
Quote:
I just spent the last eight years in a city where people openly sneered about Christians and I found it very ugly.
Wait a minute! You mean to tell me there is a city in the US where people openly sneer about Christians? Where were you living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin