Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I plan on moving to Austin. We have some of the same concerns as another person whom posted some very similar questions. We are in our late fifties and I am very active (physically). My wife prefers community activities. We don't have a huge budget but we hoped to find something clean, safe and close to things for about 325K. My son tells me Austin is awesome and everyone I have spoken to has the same opinion. An active adult community is not out of the question but 'active' is vital. Neither of us is interested in nor do we need assisted living or three meals provided to us. Condo's are a second choice and with the right stuff could become a first choice very easily. If anyone has any ideas on places we might check out please let us know. I'm leaving in the early a.m. for Austin. I plan on returning if necessary but I am also hoping one trip will be enough. I hear downtown is great but we may not have downtown money! Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
Sounds like it's just you and your wife? The downtown lifestyle is wonderful here, much moreso than in most cities because you have easy access to places to bike, hike, swim, be in nature, all without getting in a car. And if you're within walking distance of Whole Foods, then you'll never need to cook again.

There are countless other options for living in small places in beautiful green central Austin neighborhoods, or larger houses in a huge variety of outlying areas. I wish you the best in having a successful visit, it won't be easy to take it all in with one trip. You could end up spending most of your time caught in traffic in an area you don't like, so choose your tour guide carefully!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,373 times
I agree with downtown. $325K won't get you much but you can probably find a good condo close to downtown. They are certainly building a lot of them right now! Of course, don't forget to factor in the property taxes which will be around $8K a year, plus assocation fees.

I don't know what "community activities" your wife prefers, but there are a lot of groups and associations downtown. It's really a great place to live.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
Since you mentioned that an active adult community is a possibility, you should consider Sun City by Georgetown if you haven't already. There's enough activities there and stores in Georgetown now with Wolfe Ranch, that you'll hardly ever need to leave the city.

http://www.suncity.com/texas

Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
The Georgetown Sun City is a really nice place, but for people in their late 50s I think it's a bit too much. Maybe in another decade or two they'll be ready for it. Georgetown is a really nice place, though, and it doesn't suffer (yet) from the crush of people crowding into Austin. It has a nice healthy economy, a top-notch private university, wonderful downtown... and speaking of that downtown, there might be some good deals around there that would balance the best of both worlds for a much more reasonable price than can be had in Austin.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,840 times
This is a very active town, low crime, and great weather all-year around.

I've never seen so many people biking or running before--NY, PA, VA, or GA.

I think Lance Armstrong fueled the biking crazy here and there's a road race every weekend downtown in Zilker Park.

I have people doing Tai Chi in the park next to my house at 7 AM and I see about 2 dozen different neighbors walking their dogs 1-2 times per day.

In Atlanta, people starred at us when we walked the dogs.

I heard that the Lake scene is also out of control for active people--Lake Travis and Lakeway.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM

107 posts, read 285,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
The Georgetown Sun City is a really nice place, but for people in their late 50s I think it's a bit too much. Maybe in another decade or two they'll be ready for it. Georgetown is a really nice place, though, and it doesn't suffer (yet) from the crush of people crowding into Austin. It has a nice healthy economy, a top-notch private university, wonderful downtown... and speaking of that downtown, there might be some good deals around there that would balance the best of both worlds for a much more reasonable price than can be had in Austin.
My husband and I barely made it in here this last year. He took an early retirement. Have you actually visited Sun City? Heck, most people that live here are in great shape. Happy with all the activities they are in and living life to its fullest. I honestly did not expect this when we were considering moving here, but I see many people here of all ages working out, playing sports and being in tip top shape. Sun City isn't for everyone, but there is more here than just a bunch of elderly waiting for the finale in life to come upon us.... We live, love and play.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-27-2009, 04:51 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
My husband and I are in our late 50s, and thinking of moving to Lakeway. Its a mixed age community that seems to have lots of activities. Our viewpoint, however, is biased because we want to live close to my sister, who lives out there. I'm sure we will go into Austin for some activities, but we are not "city folk", and are retired, so no commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin