Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 AM

140 posts, read 508,541 times

Advertisements

Hi I was hoping to find a post on this but I guess its not as exciting to people in Austin as I had thought it was. Why do the tickets go so fast? Is it out of towners? Is there any way to listen to the music near the park site? Is Zilker Park totally closed to non ticket holders? What about joggers...??? I'm just curious how closed to the public the park is over the weekend..
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,867,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineshallow View Post
Hi I was hoping to find a post on this but I guess its not as exciting to people in Austin as I had thought it was. Why do the tickets go so fast? Is it out of towners? Is there any way to listen to the music near the park site? Is Zilker Park totally closed to non ticket holders? What about joggers...??? I'm just curious how closed to the public the park is over the weekend..
thanks!
There is probably a lot of out-of-towners that purchase the tickets so fast. Locals too, but maybe not the demographic of this board. You can hear the music outside Zilker, even in some of the West Austin neighborhoods. Parts of the park may be open to non-ticket holders, but parking would be so ridiculous I wouldn't try that. The trail is open, and you can park elsewhere along it then just take a long walk... But you can't see anything. Only hear it.

If you are content just hearing it, the coolest way (IMO), is rent a kayak and then just float as close as you can to the music. Texas Rowing center or The Rowing Doc are good places to rent. There is also a place by the Barton Springs pool.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,570,713 times
I actually know a lot of people that are going, myself included. You have to figure that a lot of the area College kids snatch up tickets just because it's a fun event to attend even if you're not a huge music fan. Plus, tickets went extra fast this year due to Pearl Jam. They haven't played a show in Texas in years and I've seen on a lot of fan forums that many people are traveling here to see them.

I normally buy tickets to ACL before they even announce the lineup in April each year so I can get in at a cheaper price per ticket. You will be able to hear some music if you just hang out near the fence. There are normally a couple stages close to the entrance, but there are 8 stages going, so you might not be able to hear the band that you want to hear.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,372,788 times
People that have gone to ACL in years past and enjoyed it get on an email list that notifies them when tickets are going on sale. That doesn't guarantee you a ticket, because they release them in batches and you have to be one of the ones to act fast enough (basically as fast as the email goes out) in order to get one of the few thousand in that batch (I know, I've tried), even though they limit the number of tickets you can buy that way. That's one reason - and a lot of those folks are local, not out of towners.

It's just a very popular event, tickets start going on sale pretty early in the batch format above, and folks are all ready to snap them up when they do go on.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,150,743 times
I'm going for one day - when Dave Matthews is playing. Tickets go fast because it is one hell of an event.

I would get little satisfaction from hearing but not seeing them from a distance. Remember many stages are active simultaneously so I don't see how you can per se choose who to listen to if you're not in the festival itself.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,923,469 times
Why would you go? It's usually overcrowded, cramped, and parking is horrible.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:14 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,111 times
tickets go fast cuz it is so good and so fun. as others have said, they release around 4,000 in the spring for a little lower price for the locals and they are gone immediately. i buy them then knowing that if i have a conflict come october i can sell them in a snap. imagine, go to the park for a few hours, walk on over to barton springs for an ice cold dip, then meander back to the evening music.....ah, so austin

Old 09-27-2009, 04:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,150,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you been? I bet not. It seems that except for the time it was a hot dust bowl every one that goes enjoys it. Must be a reason for continued popularity. Could it be the music is good?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,923,469 times
I've heard people have enjoyed it. I prefer smaller concerts.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,537,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Yeah, "It's so crowded, nobody goes there any more!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin