Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,034,816 times

Advertisements

I include myself in this category.....how can we possibly spend so much time "much ado about nothing"? I honestly can't think of anything I learned by being on this post so often that I didn't know before. I was in the city a year before I discovered CD, and found out far more by just seeing everything firsthand and reading the local papers than the entire collection of postings here. I still find out anything worth doing here by word-of-mouth or the Chronicle.

What and why in God's name have I spent the better part of a year noodling on this website? At what point can you call a single-handed obsession with chatting about a metro simply narcissism, especially in light of the fact that this is adding nothing to the experience? Actually, even the conversations are a dead-end, as seems like every point, if you can call it that, is simply debated to death, rather than adding anything enlightening or of worth to the conversation....

To sum, I think we are just exhibiting a collective mass display of narcissism by maintaining a single-handed obsession with one metropolis.
What more can one possibly say anyway here that has not been said?

Lastly, what in the hell are these people doing on here with 1,000,000 posts or so on the Austin board, or what seems like it....do they LIVE on this website? Are they inside my hard-drive? Are they actually getting out to see, live, and enjoy life in Austin? Do they work? Do they surf the computer 24/7 AT work?

Sorry, but I've finally been bored to tears writing about the same subject on here........

Taking leave to chat/talk about something else besides AUSTIN, INTHECUT signing out........

After wasting a good 8 months on this damn thing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 AM

244 posts, read 803,696 times
It's because austinites are obessesed with themselves, but little do they no... no one else cares. Austin is a great city if you subtract all the posers and wannabees. It could be such a great city but no one there is real or genuine...except for a select few who are probably from somewhere else.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
OMG, you really made me laugh at this one! Inthecut, you are the master of perseveration, with constant new threads all on nearly the same subject - having everyone collectively gazing at their Austin city navals. You just started one yesterday on whether Austin is "hip", and today you turn around and say you are bored with it all?! No problem; we all change an move into new phases in our lives. Good luck to you, where ever you go, or where ever you post, or just where ever.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,564,815 times
Drama.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 AM

20 posts, read 43,996 times
While I haven't been to Austin I do visit different city sites on this forum, and they are all interesting for me.

The replies on this thread have been good.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Many, many new posters come on to this forum, hence it is not the same people talking about the same subject - it is new people and the subjects are likely new to them.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Drama.

Seriously!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,316 times
Narcissism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure you are using the idea of narcissism correctly. How do you see people posting information about a city as self-love connected to the ego. I think you can characterize some posters as being obsessive (me included- I must check CD everyday!) and there are certainly a few posters here with bona fide personality disorders that exhibit themselves in just about every post, however, I don't think posting on CD about Austin amounts to narcissism.

PS- haven't you already asked this question in a previous thread?

Last edited by Jennibc; 10-02-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: add the PS

Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM

532 posts, read 1,391,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Narcissism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure you are using the idea of narcissism correctly. How do you see people posting information about a city as self-love connected to the ego. I think you can characterize some posters as being obsessive (me included- I must check CD everyday!) and there are certainly a few posters here with bona fide personality disorders that exhibit themselves in just about every post, however, I don't think posting on CD about Austin amounts to narcissism.

PS- haven't you already asked this question in a previous thread?
Yes, he's posted this same question 4 or 5 times now, about every 2 months. He also posted it a few times over a year ago under a different username, then disappeared, and came back a few months later as "inthecut" and started the whole process all over again. I have absolutely no doubt that he'll eventually be back (probably with a third new username), and begin the same pattern again.

Last edited by Paulmmm; 10-02-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are lots of other forums about things other than Austin on CityData. I mostly utilize the Austin & Boston ones, but I'm sure there are other forums about being a mom/dad, religion, real estate, etc...

Any time someone posts on one of those forums, it shows up as a post.

These forums are a great source of information for people. The Austin forum was VERY helpful to me in moving here. And the Boston forum is proving somewhat helpful as well. I found lots of great places to eat, moving companies, job boards, etc... all from this board. Sure, some threads are totally inane (mostly yours ) but lots of threads are very helpful and informative.

Personally, my job is either insanely busy 10 hour days. Or days spent with nothing to do other than goof off online and pretend to look busy. This CD comes in handy for something interesting to do on the boring days.

I hope that answers your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin