U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Default Is it possible to get my TX Driver's License with a vehicle tagged out of state?

I recently moved to TX and my DL expires in a few days. I thought no prob, I live here I'll get my license here... Well, apparently I am supposed to get my vehcile tagged here first. Small problem, the company that has lien on my car went out of business so I am unable to get my title until I finish a long drawn out process. So, how can I get my DL in TX? I live here and pay taxes here now... Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 05:23 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,431,738 times
I'm PRETTY sure you can just tell them that you don't own a car. Whatever you do, don't admit that you have one, though, or they'll make you get it registered first.

When I went, I didn't have my registration, they said I couldn't get my license. "But what if I didn't have a car?" I asked. "Then you could get your license today" they replied.

"OK, I don't own a car." I replied.

"Too late, I know that you do! Go away." they answered.

The rudest place on earth, and their system makes no sense. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM

67 posts, read 115,770 times
It is totally inane that you have to show proof that you've registered your car before you can get a driver's license. Just act like you don't own one. They are so a&& backwards at the DPS they'll never figure out if you do.
Oh, and be prepared to waste 2-4 hours of your life before they even talk to you there.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:52 PM

74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
Better yet..see if you can go to one of their satellites and do it. There's one in Georgetown and Taylor I believe. We went to Georgetown to do something once and were in and out in 20 minutes..only 1 person in front of us.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM

60 posts, read 128,496 times
I went to the one in Anderson Mill. I got there about 50 minutes before the place was supposed to open. I was out of there in under 1 hour.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 PM

2,603 posts, read 2,860,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentaylor View Post
It is totally inane that you have to show proof that you've registered your car before you can get a driver's license. Just act like you don't own one. They are so a&& backwards at the DPS they'll never figure out if you do.
Oh, and be prepared to waste 2-4 hours of your life before they even talk to you there.
I have a neighbor who has been here at least 9 years and still has LA plates so I'm thinking they are trying to dissuade folks from avoiding the plate/registration fees. Since this money goes to pay for roads in Texas I think this is a good thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,259,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTisha Cunningham View Post
I recently moved to TX and my DL expires in a few days. I thought no prob, I live here I'll get my license here... Well, apparently I am supposed to get my vehcile tagged here first. Small problem, the company that has lien on my car went out of business so I am unable to get my title until I finish a long drawn out process. So, how can I get my DL in TX? I live here and pay taxes here now... Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
You DO NOT want your out of state license to expire before you get your TX license. You DO NOT want them to find out you have been here more than 30 days(if that is the case).

I would go to the tag office(in the county of your residence) and let them jump through the title hoops. Then, head on down to the DPS office and go through normal channels for your driver's license. Not fun...but better than getting caught. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
My boyfriend and I are going through the same thing! We recently moved down here for his job, and the state of TX will not let him get his liscence until we register our vehicles! Got the same I saw you crap from the DMV office in Aransas Pass. Since we are not married yet we are going down there and transfer all the vehicles to my name. I currently do not have a job here, and spend part of my time in the state our lisences are from, as our family and second home are there. We are trying to comply and yet the state of Texas will not allow you to. As far as I am concerned I will not change my license now, nor will I put tags and titles in TX ever. That is what you get for trying to be an honest citizen! It would be worlds easier to obtain a DL here if I came over the border...Whats wrong with that picture?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 AM

831 posts, read 884,249 times
When I surrendered my CA license and applied for my TX license I just told them I didn't have a car and voila! Got my license and was out the door with nary a problem.

I don't understand why they want to link your license to a particular car, but apparently it's not a requirement to get a license.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,645,160 times
Only rubes are honest.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin