Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,646,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Cap Metros CEO just "retired" so if the next person is qualified, I would expect some improvements in bus service.

As for CM "forgetting about rail for awhile" - I guess I agree. That's why I will support the CITY OF AUSTIN/CAMPO urban rail plan that they are currently preparing. I think it looks like an excellent, well-thought out project - and might be part of a much larger planning development project that will include road infrastructure, sidewalks and bike lanes. Hopefully Austinites won't be reactionary and vote NO as soon as they hear the word "rail" by associating it with CMs boondoggle metrorail project.

Busses suck just about everywhere. They're just big, herky-jerky vans that get stuck in traffic just like cars.

Is the CAMPO system similar to the one that wants to run lines from SA up through RR (possibly Hutto/Taylor?G'Town) or was that a different company? I think it was in the Community Update paper at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,646,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Capital Metro is a joke.

That being said, efficient, reliable, and comprehensive mass transit should be a priority for any city which purports to be a green, progressive locale, especially one which is experiencing the type of growth which Austin is experiencing. Austin will never be at the level of say D.C., Boston, or even Portland, Oregon, when it comes to its mass transit investments, but so much of that has to do with what twange cited. The reactionary and resounding "NOs!" which drown out proponents of mass transit always have their way because people don't want to be inconvenienced by construction or are simply not even willing to try and ride mass transit. I don't own a car, so I don't have a choice in the matter, but those who do have a choice in the matter, more often than not, choose not to ride public transportation if only because it is notoriously unreliable. Failure becomes an inevitable self-fulfilling prophesy.

I've always ridden public transportation (buses in Austin and trains elsewhere), I recognize that far too many Austinites are not going to give up driving their cars. Texas is a car-centric state. Encouraging public transportation use and investment requires a seismic shift in the way people are used to living. When someone lives in the core or more dense neighborhoods (Hyde Park, Travis Heights, Bouldin Creek) it's quite conceivable that one could walk to dinner, to a local watering hole to the video store, and then home; but Austin is far too spread out for its lackluster bus system to be of much use. The buses are never on time, routes really don't go where you need them to go, and yes, the drivers are usually exceptionally rude and uninformed. That's why I just plan my route in advance so as to avoid hassling with them.

With regard to OP's criticisms of vulgarity, etc., I just put on my headphones, bury my head in my reading material and that's that. For me, I don't mind that there are homeless people on the buses. They pay their fare, they should be permitted to ride. Besides, that's the real world. It's full of people who sometimes smell, curse, drink too much, but need to get somewhere. Alas, the overcrowded, unruly tint of public transportation is part of its charm to me. One day, before I take the old dirt bath, I hope to go to a fun place like Thailand and ride a nice claptrap bus with livestock. That's not a joke. It really is a dream of mine.
I wish Austin would just bite the bullet and make their public transportation far reaching. One thing I loved about Denver pt is that you could be in ANY part of the city or ANY suburb and get a bus to get you somewhere. And now they even have far reaching rail service. This piddly Leander to downtown train route and bus service that doesn't leave downtown could never hope to increase ridership because it serves such a narrow area.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,885,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Is the CAMPO system similar to the one that wants to run lines from SA up through RR (possibly Hutto/Taylor?G'Town) or was that a different company? I think it was in the Community Update paper at one time.
It was mentioned as part of their 2030 plan (though that plan has been updated since 2005 and will be replaced in June 2010 as People, Planning and Preparing for the Future: Your 25 Year Transportation Plan, The Austin downtown rail plan would most likely be constructed first, at least as far as rail projects is concerned. The plan is regional and also includes roads etc...But here is what was mentioned in the 2005 plan:

"The proposed passenger rail system may run along existing Union Pacific right-of-way that parallels IH-35. The rail system is envisioned to run from Georgetown to San Antonio with 13 stations, including stations in Austin, Round Rock, Buda/Kyle, San Marcos, and New Braunfels. Sixty- three miles of the 110-mile system would lie within the CAMPO study area."

CAMPO - - www.campotexas.org

The SA to Dallas/Ft Worth routes are technically already running (Amtrak) but of course Amtrak "rents" tracks from freight which gets priority - hence the "flexible" ETAs

BTW, for anyone who hasn't read/looked at the downtown rail plan presented last year (designed by the ROMA design group), here's a link with lots of pics and boiled down info, including cost and phasing:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/...ief_072408.pdf

I love this quote as a summary:

"a system in the spirit of Austin’s original streetcar network which
radiated from Downtown."

Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,606,842 times
I totally agree with you.

Also did you know that CAP METRO just hired an new CEO?

From what I remember, his annual salary is in the mid 220K range.

Also on the news they stated that they are going to hike the price to ride the bus.

So yea... you get $hit service, bad wait / route times and that new ceo should not get any where near that salary until there is better service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
In addition to driving my car, I've been riding the local bus system, Capital Metro, to get around town. I decided to utilize the cities' public services for two reasons -- one, because friends of mine have told me that it can be a true cosmopolitan experience; one that entails interacting with people from all different walks of life, from all over the city.

Two, because I have heard that the system is extremely incompetant and inefficent. In riding the bus for the past two weeks, I can attest to both of these points.

My observations:

1. Many of the buses that operate in and around central Austin/UT are FILTHY. There's often used, trampled beer cans, bottles, and wrappers rolling around, littering the floor.

2. Many of the busses smell horrid - a mixture of body odor, a lack of cleanliness, and stale air.

3. A number of the bus drivers are extremely rude, and not knowledgeable about their own routes and how long it takes to get somewhere. If you try to get clarification on a particular route, or bus, you get attitude and are told to look at the bus schedule.

4. It takes ridiculous amounts of time to get places on the north side that are within five minutes of eachother in a car. For instance, it takes over an hour and a half to get from Wells Branch to The Domain.

5. The system itself seems very unorganized, with needless stops abounding and lots of non-sensical detours and transfers.

6. If you've yet to experience the bus system here, when I make reference to a cosmopolitan experience, I mean get ready to experience everything.

Case in point, there are homeless people who haven't showered in weeks, thugs of all ethnicities, little old ladies with bags of groceries, people who appear to hold professional jobs, students, artists, and everything in between.

There's also quite a bit of vulgar language, gestures, and innuendo thrown about which made me quite uncomfortable. There are often verbal altercations between either the bus driver and someone on the bus, or two people on the bus. I had the misfortune of seeing a physical altercation between two passengers.

7. If you look like you have money, you are setting yourself up for trouble. Purposefully dress down and do not wear any flashy or expensive jewelry. It only makes you a target.

Conclusion: The few dollars you save in gas is not worth the hassle of transfers, waiting, a poorly planned bus route, rude drivers, and/or crazy passengers. I mean, by the time you get to your destination, you're worn out, dirty, and possibly traumatized.

While the experience may have been cosmopolitan, I can attest definitively that the bus will continue to be my last resort as a form of transportation. My deepest condolences to those who rely on public transportation in this city.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,885,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I totally agree with you.

Also did you know that CAP METRO just hired an new CEO?

From what I remember, his annual salary is in the mid 220K range.

Also on the news they stated that they are going to hike the price to ride the bus.

So yea... you get $hit service, bad wait / route times and that new ceo should not get any where near that salary until there is better service.

Well, if they're going to hike the price of rides, they damn sure better use it to improve service. I understand your cynicism regarding this new CEOs salary, but I will wait to find out more info on him before sharpening my axe. He's also listed as "interim CEO", quote:

"With new Board appointments expected by the end of the year, today the Board recommended waiting until January to begin a national search for a new President/CEO."

And for wiw, Cap Metros fares are pretty dang low compared to service in other cities - low quality withstanding. Cleveland, Ohio where I'm originally from - while having a much broader, older and more established service - is still considered pretty useless by most choice rider standards. And the fare is $2.25.

Austin has a way better chance of giving customers good service for the money considering the current size and growing density of the city limits. Cleveland on the other hand, has a fairly low populated city core compared to Austin, which means that even with good PT connectivity, usage is limited. Most people live in suburbs there, whereas Austin has a very desirable city core. People use it for special occasions like sporting events and public events like parades and such. The average user is poor and car-less.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,984,573 times
[quote=mark311;11157588 Are there cities where this isn't the case for riding the bus?[/quote]

YES! There are places where the bus is CLEAN, air conditioned and even smells good. The driver has control over the bus and the people riding know the rules. I remember riding them and we knew we could lose our riding privilege if we acted like jerks.

Personally, I don't think there is any reason why the bus ride has to be what you described OP.

I think there is a line and if the bus has turned into a pigsty then something needs to change. All my opinion of course.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM

44 posts, read 134,514 times
I guess I'm really super lucky with the bus route I take... it's great! I love being able to read on my commute.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,290,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
If Austin doesnt pick a stance pretty soon the entire city will grind to a halt and the people will leave.
Really???

Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,774,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Really???
No I was making **** up. If you dont agree with me just say so I'm not into playing snide games.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,290,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
No I was making **** up. If you dont agree with me just say so I'm not into playing snide games.
Oh, no, I'm not disagreeing. I thought you were being a bit dramatic, that's all. The thought of gridlock driving away most of Austin doesn't overly upset me, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin