U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Southwest Austin
5,002 posts, read 9,901,482 times
Reputation: 3497

Advertisements

Quote:
I would definitely rather vacation in Hawaii than Austin, heh. Sorry Steve, but I didn't find Hawaii to be over-rated AT ALL!
I think I've worked so hard for so many years, and am so ADD that I have a hard time winding down and just kicking back and relaxing. I literally laid under a palm tree in a chase lounge, enjoying the ocean and the sounds for about 37 minutes before I became restless. I was on the big island though, so maybe there is more to do on the other ones. I did go up and see the volcano, and bummed around a bit in Kona. The nightly events at the hotel seemed cheeky and touristy to me. Maybe that's my problem. I don't like being a tourist. I'd rather be a "visitor" to a city and enjoy what the locals enjoy.

Thusly, I think a 78704 vacation would be perfect for people like me who like variety and change and something different every day, and mixing with locals. Maybe not so great for others.

At any rate, the OP still hasn't defined pretentious or shared the actual events or experiences in Austin that warrant the label.

Steve

 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,220 posts, read 5,110,840 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
what DO you like to do?
Be with my Friends and Family
Travel
Theater & Movies
Shop
Concerts 80's, Classic Rock
Go to Professional Sporting Events
Dine Out (Don't get me started on Austin Restaurants)
Hike Outside
Visit Coffeeshops and Bookstores

Yes, all of these things can be done in Austin. However the opportunities to see world class theater, see pro sports, have higher quality dinning experiences, Hike without having a heat stroke, etc., lie elsewhere.
 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,502 posts, read 22,978,962 times
Reputation: 12805
Yes, you can do all of those things in Austin. (I've never had a heat stroke from hiking, nor have any of the hikers in my family, by the way - we use common sense, and there's a LOT of the year that one can hike quite comfortably.)

I think that you're trying very hard to justify by badmouthing Austin what is, when you get right down to it, a very personal decision based on things other than what the city actually has to offer. It's okay for Austin not to be for you without it having to be "overhyped" or to badmouth it in any other way. Really, it is, you don't have to tear something down. Your own preferences should be able to stand on their own without that, don't you think?

I've eaten in a lot of places besides Austin, by the way, including places you'd consider to offer "world class dining". So don't be trying to pull that particular wool over my eyes.
 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
12,898 posts, read 13,303,134 times
Reputation: 8029
Mlassoff - do you actually go to pro sports events? Honest question.

Other than MLB, only a few of my wealthiest friends will pony up the money for an NFL or NBA game.

One of the last things I would do with my money is spend $125 (the average Dallas Cowboys ticket price) to make Jerry Jones wealthier.

Just me though....
 
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,220 posts, read 5,110,840 times
Reputation: 3879
THL: If it's just about my personal perceptions how come you and a few others defensively coming running to Austin's aid whenever someone gives an opinion that isn't congruent with your rose colored perspective? Because your opinion is more correct or valid? Because you have a real estate business thats effected if they stop moving in? Because you need everyone to believe that you hike comfortably in 102 degree heat? (Common sense would dictate don't hike when it's 102 like it was for 62 days this summer... Which means the activity isn't available in Austin...)

If you real believe that Austin has world class dining compared to some other cities because you have "eaten places other than Austin," than you truly are just trying to be a cheerleader/spokesperson for Austin without any type of critical eye. I know when I say NY, Boston and New Haven, CT all have better dining scenes you are going to cry foul about city size, making an irrelevant argument...

You cheerlead Austin without ever seeing any faults or criticism. At least I see the good and the bad. Then again, I'm not selling real estate and don't need to generate business and referrals.

hodddano:

Yes, saw the Yankees x 3 this year, Spurs x 2, Mets x 1, Going to see NHL hockey this weekend. Also saw the RR Express, the Bridgeport Bluefish, the Camden Sharks, the Rochester Whatevers and the Iowa Cubs on the Minor League Baseball Circuit.

I hate Jerry Jones.
 
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,502 posts, read 22,978,962 times
Reputation: 12805
Actually, one of the places that I have eaten in excellent restaurants is Boston, as my son lived there for a while. Also Washington, D.C. (truly excellent Afghan restaurant there that hooked me on Afghan food, among others). My son lived in NYC for several years, as well. Then a few places in London. So I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the cities that you consider to have so much better food. (Oops!) And, yes, they do have excellent restaurants, but that doesn't mean that Austin doesn't, as well.

My business does not depend on people moving into the area, much as you'd love to have that be the only reason for anyone having an opinion regarding Austin that doesn't match your negative one. People move around within the community and the area, as well. And I've lived here for a heck of a lot longer than I've been involved in real estate beyond being a renter or an owner.

Is Austin all things to all people? No, it's not, any more than Boston, NYC, or New Haven are (I realize it's likely a great shock to you to know that there are people for whom those communities are not a perfect fit, but it's a fact). That does not mean that it's a terrible place, simply that it doesn't fit you (and, evidently, vice versa).

Again, your preferences shouldn't need badmouthing a place that doesn't fit you,and vice versa, in order to stand on their own. And that has nothing to do with people here pointing out the fallacies of your particular criticisms of Austin beyond the obvious - that you find it necessary to badmouth a place if you decide you've made a mistake in moving there, because it absolutely has to be the fault of the place, it couldn't possibly be yours - or, for that matter, there has to be fault, rather than simply a mismatch.

By the way, you never did answer the question, did you actually read the list of things that I provided at your request, most of which were NOT clubs?
 
Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,220 posts, read 5,110,840 times
Reputation: 3879
Yes I did. A mix of seasonal events, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, tiny, tiny, tiny art activities that would take about :30 minutes. I found little of it engaging, or delicious.
 
Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: SoCal
2,262 posts, read 4,551,203 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think I've worked so hard for so many years, and am so ADD that I have a hard time winding down and just kicking back and relaxing. I literally laid under a palm tree in a chase lounge, enjoying the ocean and the sounds for about 37 minutes before I became restless. I was on the big island though, so maybe there is more to do on the other ones. I did go up and see the volcano, and bummed around a bit in Kona. The nightly events at the hotel seemed cheeky and touristy to me. Maybe that's my problem. I don't like being a tourist. I'd rather be a "visitor" to a city and enjoy what the locals enjoy.

Steve

We had different experiences, then. I DO like to lay back and relax, however, I did very little of that in Hawaii. Every day was action packed! Especially on Maui. The Big Island is the only one I haven't been to, actually. Kaui was MUCH more laid back and didn't seem like it had a whole lot to do other than relax. And Oahu was more of a "party" island (although that would depend on what part of the island you're at). I spent my Maui vacation snorkeling, swimming in waterfalls, helcopter ride, riding in boats, biking, the aquarium, and driving that road to Hana.

I was exhausted, and needed a vacation of relaxing after my Hawaii vacation, heh.

As for "world class dining," I think Austin is great. I never found great Italian, Chinese, or Indian, however. Boston & NYC are better, but of course they're also bigger. Some of the food in LA is better than Austin (Italian & Indian), but not the pizza! Mexican is better here, of course. All around american food is great here, as well. Especially the steaks... best steak I ever had was here. Best cheesesteak, too. (I somehow managed to visit Philly without ever getting a cheesesteak, heh).

As for heat stroke in Austin, um, I think I had that just standing around for less than an hour in the shade one time (or rather, I got a horrible heat blister on my FACE back in July that I still have a slight scar from). I can't IMAGINE hiking in the summer here. But, then again, you don't have to shovel the heat (unlike the snow on the east coast). Quite honestly, both are unbearably horrible.

But, then, I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff. I used to think nothing was worse than cold... until I moved here. This summer was really brutal for me. Being pregnant probably didn't help, either
 
Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Status: "sigh....." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
2,784 posts, read 5,704,705 times
Reputation: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes I did. A mix of seasonal events, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, tiny, tiny, tiny art activities that would take about :30 minutes. I found little of it engaging, or delicious.
But the whole point of this argument is that just because you didn't like it and Austin is not a good fit for you doesn't make it a bad place in general or a good place for others. The funny thing is, most of the people on this board are not going to agree with you because we like it here. That doesn't mean you're not entitled to dislike it, just that you'll never convice this audience that it's as bad as you make it out to be.
 
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM
 
1,037 posts, read 1,151,220 times
Reputation: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
THL: If it's just about my personal perceptions how come you and a few others defensively coming running to Austin's aid whenever someone gives an opinion that isn't congruent with your rose colored perspective? Because your opinion is more correct or valid? Because you have a real estate business thats effected if they stop moving in? Because you need everyone to believe that you hike comfortably in 102 degree heat? (Common sense would dictate don't hike when it's 102 like it was for 62 days this summer... Which means the activity isn't available in Austin...)

If you real believe that Austin has world class dining compared to some other cities because you have "eaten places other than Austin," than you truly are just trying to be a cheerleader/spokesperson for Austin without any type of critical eye. I know when I say NY, Boston and New Haven, CT all have better dining scenes you are going to cry foul about city size, making an irrelevant argument...

You cheerlead Austin without ever seeing any faults or criticism. At least I see the good and the bad. Then again, I'm not selling real estate and don't need to generate business and referrals.

hodddano:

Yes, saw the Yankees x 3 this year, Spurs x 2, Mets x 1, Going to see NHL hockey this weekend. Also saw the RR Express, the Bridgeport Bluefish, the Camden Sharks, the Rochester Whatevers and the Iowa Cubs on the Minor League Baseball Circuit.

I hate Jerry Jones.
Dude, I am writing from freezing, grey, cheerless New Haven. New Haven a better dining scene than Austin - better Pizza, much better Pizza absolutely, but otherwise it is a culinary wilderness up here. Have you tried eating Asian food in New Haven???! I had a bowl of pho last night that would have done dishwater proud. Mexican food - shudder! I would agree that many Austin restaurants leave much to be desired, but after a week in New Haven, Austin is starting to look like Paris ( that's France,not Texas) You walk three blocks from Yale and, even though things are much better than when I was last here - five years ago - you are in abandoned building zone. And you find East Austin gritty! Things might be better in the suburbs, but besides Italian - eating here has been grim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top