Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
In the UK they give the homeless papers to sell. Called the 'Big Issue', aka the Big Issue of course being homelessness. The homeless write about their lives, about their past, it was fairly apolitical. I always thought that would be a good idea in Austin rather than just having these people beg. Give them a voice, a face, and a written word.
Seattle has one too, it is called "Real Change" and I always felt better buying their paper than just handing out money. Yes, I agree, there should be something like that here in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
there is a thin line between aggressive panhandling and strong arm robbery.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsloane View Post
Seattle has one too, it is called "Real Change" and I always felt better buying their paper than just handing out money. Yes, I agree, there should be something like that here in Austin.
Also as it stands now the people with no dignity have a leg up. I'm sure theres many homeless who refuse to beg.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM

101 posts, read 383,661 times
That's a great point Orbius. I've bought a few copies of the Big Issue over the years. The model of the Big Issue is that genuinely homeless people are given a just a few copies to sell, thereafter they have to buy them at 50% of the cover price. If all of the revenue is spent on, whatever, then they receive no more copies. Doesn't seem a bad stab at establishing some link between the homeless and how the rest of us try and live.

The photo ID that the Big Issue seller displays, gives one the belief, at least, that they are in touch with an organisation that is supporting them. The giver is getting something in return, and its often not a bad read. I have never encountered an aggressive Big Issue seller. I believe they might get their ID revoked if such behaviour is reported.

I see no reason why Austin couldn't get something like this off of the ground - there are so many kindhearted people here.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM

198 posts, read 500,653 times
We used to buy the Big Issue from the seller outside Sainsbury's (grocery store). The guy was quite nice and recognized us after awhile. As a magazine the Big Issue was, in my opinion, not worth reading. It certainly wasn't quality objective journalism and I recall a token story about a homeless person or family in each issue with the remainder of the magazine comprised of ads, and dotty people complaining. The one story I found amusing was a glowing account of Cynthia McKinney, which certainly was inconsistent with her record as a Congresswoman and general demeanor as a human being. This on the heals of her confrontation with a Capitol security guard

Our neighbors thought it a bit scandalous that we would even buy the Big Issue.

That said, I liked the idea behind the Big Issue and was happy to help our local seller.

I second southsidechap; I think a project like this would be beneficial to Austin's homeless if done with a good plan and not another rabbit warren of people seeking power.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsloane View Post
They also have that in the Bay Area (California), altho I forgot the name of the paper. I'd see homeless guys out in Berkeley on Telegraph hawking those papers.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
When I worked in Tulsa, many of the people who were homeless were people who were refusing mental health services, housing and social assistance. The agency I worked for had a "homeless team" and would go out and physically check on the homeless, encourage them to come in for physical health and mental health services. The people who often chose not to spend the night in the homeless centers were people who chose not to follow the rules (can't be high or use drugs, have to be polite to other residents and staff, respect curfew, etc.). I once gave a panhandler asking for money a business card so that she could utilize the free progams I knew would help her specific issues. Realisitically, she probably tossed my card, but hopefully she used it.

I know in OKC the news tries to encourage people not to give money to panhandlers but rather give them bus passes to the downtown homeless center for a hot meal and social assistance. It does irritate me seeing the same people over and over again on the same corners begging for food. I swear to you on two different occassions, I have seen these panhandlers step away from their corners and start counting the thick wad of money in their pocket!!! I have also called the police a few times on a couple that has the mother panhandling while the father and an infant in a stroller hide off to the side and watch her. I called the police out of a general wellness concern for the infant. The times I saw them they were out in over 100 degree weather with an infant without shade. I haven't seen them in a long while. I have seen many male/female panhandling teams that use the female to panhandle while the male is typically a few feet away under a tree watching her.

In Dallas we witnessed two male panhandlers get into a physical altercation over who had rights to a certain corner for that day's panhandling!

I don't give money b/c I feel it encourages the panhandling behavior. As someone who has worked in the field, I know there are services available, it's a matter of some of the panhandlers not wanting to comply with program rules and "chosing" to take the easier path.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
I know some of their signs, etc are heartbreaking. But don't be duped. Again, donate to a local charity or service organization if you want to help the homeless.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I know some of their signs, etc are heartbreaking. But don't be duped. Again, donate to a local charity or service organization if you want to help the homeless.
I saw a new angle earlier this summer....an old van parked at Walmart with a dog tied up outside and a sign..."Dog hungry...need money to feed him."

Looked pretty well-fed to me, LOL!!

I've had others approach me right before I load my stuff in my car, offering to stack them just right for $1.00. After 3 NOs, he then said he was a vet. One asked for a dollar, then after that NO, he said, "Well, how about fifty cents?"

This was in New Mexico, but same old stuff.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
In the UK they give the homeless papers to sell. Called the 'Big Issue', aka the Big Issue of course being homelessness. The homeless write about their lives, about their past, it was fairly apolitical. I always thought that would be a good idea in Austin rather than just having these people beg. Give them a voice, a face, and a written word.

What a GREAT idea but their "truth" isn't something some of those in power want to hear. However, the stories need to be told. I'd subscribe. Count me in. How do we get one started? And not to be pushy but to those people wanting to donate...United Way is on the front lines. (or used to be so correct me if I'm wrong...scandals in the past, yes, I know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin