Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times

Advertisements

The history of Aquafest.

Again, people should NOT move into an area, into a new city, from the city to the country, and expect things that were there first to change to suit their preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,966,131 times
Once again, we locals loose because the newcomers don't like our lifestyle. South Lamar has changed so much because of this and now the new citizens are invading South Austin.

It's the new world order: me, me, me.

I should consider relocating to Lubbock but I love Austin too much and have some very cool neighbors. At least Toni Price returned to the Continental Club for her Hippy Hour on Tuesday night.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,977,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Once again, we locals loose because the newcomers don't like our lifestyle. South Lamar has changed so much because of this and now the new citizens are invading South Austin.

It's the new world order: me, me, me.

The "me, me, me" could apply to you, you, you as well.

Everything changes. Everything, always. Nothing ever stays the same. I'm not crazy about change either but that's life.

I've been picking up on the vibes from some of the people that "have lived here their whole life" when I've been out dealing with the public lately. It sucks. Some people should realize there were others here LONG before they were "born" here in Texas. I mean, if we're really going to talk about who Texas or Austin belongs to let's look at history. Let's talk about who really lost what along the way shall we?

The only thing I can suggest to the people that want to keep "their" way of life "theirs" is to build a wall around "your" town and keep everyone out that doesn't qualify.

"Your lifestyle"?? Maybe the locals could have their own compound and keep all of us with other kinds of lifestyles out.

Sorry, but all this "them", "newcomers", "transplants", "invaders", blah, blah, blah gets irritating.

Maybe change will be for the better. Or maybe it won't. Join the human race because it happens each and every day for the rest of us.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,966,131 times
I didn't mean to turn this into a "we" versus "they" discussion. However, my posting sounded like it, so I appreciate your correction.

With that said, I (as in me and myself) have seen a lot of history lost to new things. Some so good, and some I didn't like. I'm not going to apologize. I've worked hard to promote this community and maybe I should just sit back and enjoy it. Unfortunately I have an opinion because I have family and children who were born and raised here. I love this town, the people and what it represents. You didn’t chastise me for my passion and I appreciate that.

The original question was about the Nutty Brown. I’ve eaten a lot of red meat and drank a lot of cold beer at this venue, and enjoyed its scenic views. Now the Belterra clan has moved in and think it’s too noisy. Instead of embracing one local viewpoint (the Nutty Brown), the new neighbors (Belterra) think that they should live their (wherever that it) local lifestyle.

I hate to break the news to you, but we don’t work that way in my Austin. You don’t agree with me but I really couldn’t give a tinkers damn. I watched this same, exact scenario this summer at the Shady Grove, and so far, neither the Grove has closed and I doubt if the neighbors have moved.

At the end of the day we all just choose to get along and appreciate what we as a community collectively bring together.

Thank you for correcting me. However, learn to love and respect Austin.

If you decide to show up at the Continental Club, I am the white haired guy with a straw Stetson hat with a sweat ring on Tuesday night during the Toni Price Hippy Hour.

Old South Austin Guy.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,628,858 times
I know change happens as well, but losing Nutty Brown Cafe isn't one of the good things.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I know change happens as well, but losing Nutty Brown Cafe isn't one of the good things.
Exactly. People moving to the area because, ostensibly, they like it and want to, and then insisting that traditions and icons be changed because they didn't do their homework or find something they didn't count on, over the protests of the people who were there first, isn't one of the good things. Subtracting from the features of a community that make it what it is for the reasons above likewise is rarely a good thing. Adding good things to it, slowly and as long as they don't push out what was here before, could be considered good change.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,276,670 times
I don't care who you are or where you're coming from. If you move somewhere with FULL DISCLOSURE, you shouldn't waste money and time by trying to change it post facto. That's called WHINING. I could understand if Nutty Brown opened up last week, but it didn't. Who are these losers??

Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,700,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The "me, me, me" could apply to you, you, you as well.

Everything changes. Everything, always. Nothing ever stays the same. I'm not crazy about change either but that's life.

I've been picking up on the vibes from some of the people that "have lived here their whole life" when I've been out dealing with the public lately. It sucks. Some people should realize there were others here LONG before they were "born" here in Texas. I mean, if we're really going to talk about who Texas or Austin belongs to let's look at history. Let's talk about who really lost what along the way shall we?

The only thing I can suggest to the people that want to keep "their" way of life "theirs" is to build a wall around "your" town and keep everyone out that doesn't qualify.

"Your lifestyle"?? Maybe the locals could have their own compound and keep all of us with other kinds of lifestyles out.

Sorry, but all this "them", "newcomers", "transplants", "invaders", blah, blah, blah gets irritating.

Maybe change will be for the better. Or maybe it won't. Join the human race because it happens each and every day for the rest of us.
Off the basic topic, but....hence the border patrol issues, immigrants using health care etc...without taxes, having to have EVERYTHING printed in two languages, and the list goes on.....why do those homesteader types have to adapt so radically to those who come into their area with somewhat unreasonable expectations.

Same for Nutty Brown....why do they have to change because someone doesn't "like" it. They knew what they were getting into.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,010,638 times
I haven't attended a live concert there in a couple of years, but I did stop at the red light at Nutty Brown/290 one night driving one of my daughter's friends home to Beltera. I've never seen so many cars stretched all the way down Nutty Brown Rd. past the Beltera entrance. Randy Rogers was playing and it sounded great.

On the way back, I pulled into a spot on the northbound side of NB that a car pulled had just pulled out of and sat and listened to a few songs. They sounded fantatstic! I don't know what the decible level was but I'm sure on a clear night like that was the sound would travel. I could hear it as if I was in the front row. But if it's within the allowable level, then it's allowed.

The Nutty Brown owner's comments regarding the number of inspections, history with TABC, etc. demonstrates an exemplary past. There are rules, he's followed them, period.

Steve

Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times
Kinda like the fisherman that got hung upon the weeds and logs, on every other fish he caught. Mad, he pulled all the weeds and removed the logs, so he would no longer get snagged up. He never caught another fish there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin