Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM

989 posts, read 2,493,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

I like their burgers & I've enjoyed a couple of shows there. If i lived in Belterra, I'd consider it a perk.
Heck yeah. I'd love to be able to walk to the Nutty Brown. I'd be there all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,910,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
That really sucks. Nutty Brown is probably the best venue in the area!!!

Since when was live music and good times a bad thing?
When it prevents every one who lives within a mile from sleeping, its a bad thing. You would come to hate it quickly if it were keeping you and your children awake at night.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
CptnRon, did you read the comments over at the KXAN article on it? Lots of people over there who live a lot CLOSER than a mile from it (one who says they live in a mobile home about a tenth of a mile away and their windows don't rattle and if anyone's would, theirs would) who have no problems with it, aren't disturbed, their windows don't rattle, the music isn't loud - even one who lives on top of a hill nearby and would seem to be the one most likely to have issues.

That's why I think it would be a good idea to have the decibel readings done at the complainant's locations, just to get the facts and nothing but the facts. Once that's done, then possible solutions separate from shutting down the Nutty Brown Cafe or the music itself could be considered. Including perhaps improving the insulation of the homes that are having troubles to match that of those that aren't.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Yes, I read all of the comments that were posted as of this AM. A few people said they liked the music and enjoyed listening to it. So what, that doesn't mean others should have to listen to it in their homes if they don't want to. Some people like Country Western music, some people hate it. If it were rap music there would probably be far more people up at arms against it. The fact is, if it is not something you enjoy, then its just "NOISE", and no one should have to tolerate it. I'm sure you would be outraged if someone next door to your home played loud rap music until midnight several times a week.

As TrainWreck pointed out earlier, sound can bounce around and do funny things because if the terrain. One person may not hear it at their place while it is rattling the windows at a house next door. Its not a bad idea to measure the sound level at the properties in question. But I don't think it should be the property owners responsibility to add insulation to their home in order to not have to listen to the NOISE. Aren't you entitled to sit on your patio and enjoy the peace and quiet?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
If they are getting noise and their neighbor isn't, chances are they're spending more on their utilities than their neighbor is and adding insulation would pay them in other ways.

But that was just one suggestion. Thing is, everybody's going to need to work together on this, not against each other, in order to come to an amicable solution. Right now, they seem to be pretty diametrically opposed and that's not going to get anybody anywhere, and if the complainants DO prevail, there's going to be a lot of bad blood between them and their neighbors, surely not something that's going to make them MORE comfortable in their homes and community. So in order to avoid this the Nutty Brown Cafe may need to make a few adjustments (more than they already have, and, yes, they have made concessions), and the complainants are going to have to do so, as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,771,739 times
Noise can travel in a still night. There was a traintrack like 2 miles from my house that would often wake me up at 3am with its train hoot.
Theres got to be some middle ground here.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
When it prevents every one who lives within a mile from sleeping, its a bad thing. You would come to hate it quickly if it were keeping you and your children awake at night.

The kid next door can play the **** out of an electric guitar. He and his buddies jam in their garage with the door open all the time. It is way over 90db easy.

When I'm in my old rickety house, I can't hear them at all.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,470,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Gosh, I never want to get so old I say stuff like this.
LOL ... I totally agree. I live a couple miles from the Nutty and we think they're a pretty awesome neighbor. Great food and music, family-friendly atmosphere, and just a really lovely asset to the community.

It's maddening that people voluntarily move to an area in close proximity to a long-standing venue such as this and then embark on public campaigns to put an end to it. I'd have a hard time holding my tongue in a debate with people like that.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,822,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It's maddening that people voluntarily move to an area in close proximity to a long-standing venue such as this and then embark on public campaigns to put an end to it. I'd have a hard time holding my tongue in a debate with people like that.
I agree, that's the lamest of the lame.

As an outsider, it really makes you kinda wish the owners of the Nutty Brown would just give the 30 homeowners what they want and shut it down... then convert it to a rock quarry or something. That way, no TABC regulations, and they could make much higher noise levels, especially in the early morning. On top of that, they could still have bands and might actually make a decent profit quarrying limestone.

But hopefully the sensible homeowners will prevail, and the 30 or so that choose to move in next to a music venue can enjoy their good resale value and find another place to live... and then complain about later.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Come on people, get your facts straight. Nutty Brown is the newcomer and trouble maker here.

Neighbors urging TABC to muzzle Nutty Brown Cafe (http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/2009/10/1022nuttybrown.html - broken link)

Quote:
Manuel Peña, 57, is one of a number of residents who say they can hear music from the cafe often enough that it disturbs their sleep. He says the complaints aren't coming from new residents moving next to the longtime music venue; he says he's lived in the Heritage Oaks subdivision for 24 years and the average complainant has been living in the area for 15 years. He says that as owner Mike Farr has expanded Nutty Brown's outdoor stage over the past three years, "the concerts ... there have gotten louder and noisier and more disruptive to the people who live around here. We're not trying to put him out of business. But I'd like for Mr. Farr to take a good look at the way his actions are affecting the neighborhood."

The cafe opened in 2000 and has offered live music from the start, typically hosting country and blues bands. Farr bought it in 2002, and two years later, he expanded the original 200-square-foot stage to 350 square feet. To attract bigger-name artists, Farr said he also had a larger professional-grade stage built in 2006, which has 35-foot towers on both sides.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-22-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin