U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 40,306 times
Default Single Story Vs Two Story House

Hi
I am in search for buying a new house. I have shortlisted the communities Avery Ranch, Silver Oaks and Ranch at Brushy Creek. Most probably I'll end up buying from one of these communities. I would like to get expert opinion from you guys about these communities in respect to appreciation and in future if I have to sell it.

Also a very important question. Is Single story easier to sell than 2 story. I have been hearing these from my friends and also when I drove through Avery Ranch for example I see most the houses that are staying in market longer are 2 story's. any reason why Single story sells easier and faster?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM

2,220 posts, read 5,612,206 times
I'll never live in a 2 story again. My first house was a 2 story to maximize the backyard on a small lot. The stairs got old FAST. IMO, the same sq footage feels a lot more spacious in a 1 story than a 2 story.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM

8,624 posts, read 17,401,323 times
Generally speaking, a 2-story is cheaper, per sq ft, than a single story. So many people looking to maximize space for their money go for the two story. Of course, when you go to sell, it will get less money than a similar sized 1-story. In our neighborhood, they probably move at the same rate, just for a little less money.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 AM

4,889 posts, read 9,429,049 times
1-story homes do sell better, all things considered. You get a smaller back yard due to larger slab area. The cost per square foot is generally a bit higher, all things being equal.

It may be a wash though, as far as "which is better". You pay less to buy the 2-story, and it sells for less later. The appreciation on both will be about the same in a given area though.

Steve

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 10,943 times
I personally like Avery Ranch over Silver Oaks and Ranch at brushy Creek. AR is nice with golf course while other 2 are not golf course community, AR is near close out while other 2 will still have construction going for another 5 years minimum, so you will be competing with builders if you want to sell.AR is better known than other 2 and this will be an advantage while you sell.

About 1 Story Vs 2 Story, I personally prefer Single story since most of the people will go to second floor only to sleep. would like to have a large single storey as opposed to 2 story.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 PM

13 posts, read 65,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azahir View Post
Hi
I am in search for buying a new house. I have shortlisted the communities Avery Ranch, Silver Oaks and Ranch at Brushy Creek. Most probably I'll end up buying from one of these communities. I would like to get expert opinion from you guys about these communities in respect to appreciation and in future if I have to sell it.

Also a very important question. Is Single story easier to sell than 2 story. I have been hearing these from my friends and also when I drove through Avery Ranch for example I see most the houses that are staying in market longer are 2 story's. any reason why Single story sells easier and faster?
not everyone can walk up and down stairs. Heat rises.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 AM

395 posts, read 884,669 times
When my hubby and I are FINALLY ready to buy a home (either in Texas or Oklahoma) we want a two story with the master bedroom downstairs. This may not make sense to those of you who remember that my husband is physically disabled and has chronic pain/mobility issues. We know that two story homes are generally less expensive to heat/cool so the utilities bills will be lower and we want that. Also both of us spent several years growing up in a two story homes that we loved.There are stair lifts that can be installed in a two story.

It also seems that most of the two story homes that I see for sale (online) in the Austin area are better looking than the one story homes. We want some curb appeal and as long as my husband can get into the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen he will be fine. The house we do end up buying will be our first,last and only home that we plan to live in till we both die so we want to make sure that we get what we want. We have been married for eighteen years, are still in our thirties and while we have tried to buy a home before we were not approved for financing. Now I have the credit, just not the down payment and since we will be moving out of this ridiculously overpriced state we will not qualify for assistance.

We did live in Austin from 98 till 2001 and for the most part we loved it and that is why we might return when hubby gets his settlement. The property taxes for the size of home we want might just keep us away though.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 AM

1,209 posts, read 4,446,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
It also seems that most of the two story homes that I see for sale (online) in the Austin area are better looking than the one story homes.
I think your observation is correct. Having come from Phoenix, where the overwhelming majority of homes are single story, they haven't quite figured out the single story look and the single story floor plan here! Arizona takes a lot of its design influences from the West Coast; whereas here there seem to be greater influences from the Midwest and East Coast - a more traditional design style.

Last edited by gigi927; 05-10-2007 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: omission

Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 AM

14,491 posts, read 26,601,844 times
Lots here are smaller---one story houses of specific size take up more land than two-story houses....fact of life for us up here in DFW metroplex where land is really at a premium...

that said---single story houses are making a comeback because more people are discovering how stairs are really a pain, that they want to know what their kids are doing....we are seeing newer two story homes w/all beds down and the media and game rooms upstairs w/full bath so they can be converted to additional beds if need be or used for guests...

think the poster who said that two stories are easier to heat and cool has not been in some of the houses around here....many builders do not size or design a two-story plan for adequate HVAC system....hot air rises (law of physics that can't be ignored)....big open foyers with 2nd floor bridges open to family areas mean you are heating and cooling a two story house like it is a one story with 22 ft ceilings---unless you have the right system, people upstairs are never cool and people downstairs can be cold in winter....and energy costs are getting higher all the time....

also--many empty nesters in my area are moving down in sq ft and price and they want a one-level home for ease of access....

not familiar with buildng in Austin area but just saw the thread...think around here most people would go for one-level if there was enough lot room for house even 2500 sq ft all one story---unfortunately builders want to get as many houses on the land as they can to max profits out of what they paid...

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM

8,624 posts, read 17,401,323 times
Another concern in the aquifer area is the SOS ordinance that limits impervious ground cover. The 2-sotry houses cover less ground, so the percent impervious cover goes down for the same size lot. If you want to put in a pool or large concrete patio, you pretty much have to have a 2-story house and a corner lot, or you will not be able to get a permit due to too much impervious cover.

As for heating/cooling, we have a 2-story house with master downstairs and the other BRs and the bonus room upstairs. We usually have a 1 to 2 degree difference in temperature (with the upstairs warmer), but we can moderate even that quite a bit by closing blinds. Most of the 'economical' houses (not 12 foot ceilings and massive foyers) that are recently built have pretty good AC design. Weekly, Newmark, etc., standard floorplans take heating/cooling into consideration.

Some 2-story houses (and some 1-story) have 2-AC systems. Expensive initially, but you can save a lot of that back in cooling cost and get much better independently controlled temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin