U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM

270 posts, read 863,904 times
Default Retirement communities

Question for ya'll: I've recently moved to Austin and have started researching retirement communities/homes/independant living situations for my mom, as I'd love for her to move here (and she wants to come) but I'm having trouble finding something that I think would be appropriate & fun for her.

She's still quite independent, but ideally I'd like her to be in a community where help is available if needed. Found Sun City in Georgetown, but it doesn't quite provide what we're looking for... it appears there's no 'extra help' or medical staff. The only other options appear to be rest homes (yuck).

Is this true?! I'm finding it hard to believe there aren't more options for senior living here around Austin. What about San Antonio? Anything there? Am I missing something?!?

Thanks for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

14,071 posts, read 18,460,583 times
I don't know a lot about retirement facilities in Austin but I researched it a little and found this google list of retirement facilities.

retirement living austin tx - Google Maps

My impression is that many residents of retirement age move out of the City because of the high property taxes. As best as I can tell from the data I could find, Austin has only about half the number of people over age 65 as the United States average.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,449,712 times
My mom lives at the Wesleyan at Estrella in Georgetown. It is an independent living facility, but they are building an assisted care facility, and they already have an associated nursing home and alzhiemer's unit at a different site. It seems to be quite a bit less expensive than many independent living places because it is supported by the Methodist Church. This may or may not be appropriate for you mom, but it might be worth a visit.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

4,167 posts, read 7,226,874 times
Steiner Ranch is building an assisted living/retirement center.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 PM

11,929 posts, read 11,406,909 times
The Lakeway area is home to hundreds of seniors. Many own their own homes or townhomes but as they age assisted living places are being built in the area.

The senior community in Lakeway is very active. Significant new medical care facilities are under construction in the area too.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,449,712 times
The facility in Lakeway is assisted living. They don't have an independent living home. It depends on whether you are looking for a community with lots of senior resources and people living at home, or an actual independent living place for your mom to live. It also depends on your budget. These places aren't inexpensive.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 PM

270 posts, read 863,904 times
Thanks for the replies. What I'm finding is that most of these places (even the ones further out) are pretty expensive. 2k+/mo. for a studio apt?! apparently lots of local seniors can afford this as these places don't seem to be empty.

It might be better to just have her live with me until she needs assistance that I can't provide. But that brings up a whole host of other problems as I'd like her to be able to walk to amenities and have some nice neighbors to hang with if she chooses. Oy oy oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin