U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 68,552 times

Advertisements

This really is a thread for those who have lived in SA and moved to this area. I was born in San Antonio and lived there until I was 21. I have lived in the Georgetown area for the last 28 years. The one thing my family and I have have really missed about San Antone is the Tex Mex. After reading the thread a few pages back about Austin Tex Mex places I thought I would post this and see if i get any reply's.
After 28 years of trying valiantly to find that SA flavor here I have decided it just does not exist here. Maybe I am just being particular but I have found that Austin Tex Mex is just different from SA. I am hoping there is some place out there that someone familiar with the wonderful flavors of SA Tex Mex has found that I have missed.
I knew I was in trouble 29 years ago when I had the cheese enchiladas on Guadalupe. I swear it had velveeta cheese and hot dog chili sauce on it. I have also noticed most central Texas Tx Mex all seems to have a certain glopishness to it like there are trying to hide something, lack of flavor in their sauces for instance. El Charrito for example. Any of the Taco Shacks, which I am sorry was the worst I have ever tried to eat. The enchilada tin was purely El Paso frozen dinner. I will say the Matt's on South Congress is very close and pretty good.
If you are familiar with SA TX Mex everything is distinctly separate on the plate. Like food at Martha's on Huebner RD, any of the Las Palapas, the Old Corn Shacks, Canos etc.
Any transplants have any more positive experences and please where are they.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,528,496 times
To me San Antonio Tex-Mex means cheese enchiladas with ranchero sauce and refried beans. In Austin it might mean chicken enchiladas with verde sauce and either pinto or black beans.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But I greatly prefer Trudy's, Chuys, or even Pappasito's in Austin to any of the places I have eaten in San Antonio (La Fogata, El Jarro, El Bosque, Mi Tierra, or La Margarita).

Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM

20,413 posts, read 37,797,914 times
There are some great places to eat Tex-Mex in San Antonio, but mostly no one will have heard of them and even fewer would be willing to go inside (much to their loss!). Hint: they are definitely NOT chains and definitely NOT upscale (or even medium-scale, in many case), just have really good food.

blabride, where have you tried in Austin?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 PM

That is exactly what I have discovered. Austin people have a completely different concept about what Tex Mex should be.
By the way my brother in law grew up almost across the street from the famous La Fogata. Great fajitas and el carbon but not much else.
Speaking of chicken dishes you are right I did not know what green enchiladas were until I moved up here. Chicken enchiladas in SA are mostly stewed chicken with white corn tortillas and chili sauce with yellow cheese on top.
The chicken puffy taco was a completely elusive creature until I discovered the Taco place in Round Rock on West Main? I cannot remember the name now. There Puffy Tacos are pure SA.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM

7,183 posts, read 16,267,115 times
There is a La Palapa in Austin, is that the same as Las Palapas in SA?

Also, there are a few places in Austin that have puffy tacos.. Vivo comes to mind (although it's kinda of a hipster place)... I know there are others, but can't think of the name.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Texas Horse lady

It depends on what I am after. For anything chicken Martha's, The Mole there is to die for. For enchiladas and puffy tacos Las Palapas. For old SA Fonda San Miguel. For migas Blanco Cafe. For atmosphere Mi Tierra although the food is hot or cold here depending on the cooks.
Jacala for anything. La Fonda for relleno and seafood.
Many great ones have closed as the third generation of children have moved on into proffesional careers like Mambos, Canos and Las Palmita where the chicken puffy taco was supposedly born.
Oh man I have to stop as I am getting hungry.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,245,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabride View Post
That is exactly what I have discovered. Austin people have a completely different concept about what Tex Mex should be.
By the way my brother in law grew up almost across the street from the famous La Fogata. Great fajitas and el carbon but not much else.
Speaking of chicken dishes you are right I did not know what green enchiladas were until I moved up here. Chicken enchiladas in SA are mostly stewed chicken with white corn tortillas and chili sauce with yellow cheese on top.
The chicken puffy taco was a completely elusive creature until I discovered the Taco place in Round Rock on West Main? I cannot remember the name now. There Puffy Tacos are pure SA.
Tristan tacos in SA....puffy taco heaven.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM

20,413 posts, read 37,797,914 times
Have you tried Aqul Tequila in South Austin (I find their interior Mexican as good as Fonda San Miguel at a third the price, but without paying for the atmosphere - and I LOVE Fonda San Miguel, don't get me wrong - and both places have the best true Margaritas in town)? How about El Azteca in East Austin? (I haven't been in years but that used to be the favorite place of the San Antonio folks I hung out with who'd moved up here.)

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM

2,392 posts, read 8,626,317 times
From SA now in Austin and I have to agree that Tex Mex is not the same in the two towns that are apart by some 70 miles....have not been happy with any of the Mexican food here really..maybe Pappasito but that's to far away for me on a weekly basis to go to (Leander area). Tried Chuy's when I first moved here cause everyone swore by them..not my cup of tea...
ATX-thats a different place all together..

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,485,694 times
I agree there are many differences in the Tex-Mex from SA to Austin, albeit quite subtle most of the time. There were TONS of places I loved to eat at in SA for Tex-Mex, but the only ones my wife and I consistently return to now are Casa Garcia's and/or Morelia Grill in Round Rock and Jardin Corona in NW Austin. I'm sure there are others out there that are good, but out of the 20 or so restaurants we've tried in our 8 years in the Austin area, those are the only ones that were "like home" as we both grew up in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin