Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
The Uniform Vehicle Code as created by the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Laws and Ordinances states: "Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic". Nowhere does it state that it applies only to those driving under the speed limit. It means if normal existing traffic is going 75 mph, you need to stay with the flow of that traffic, or move to the right.

Self-righteous civilian enforcement of traffic laws is a HUGE part of the road rage problem. If you are in the fast lane and a car comes up on your rear bumper, simply move over and let them pass, regardless of how fast you are driving. It's not up to you to determine the personality of the driver behind you and decide whether or not you are going fast enough to not need to get over to let him/her pass. It's a proven fact that one car moving to the right lane and back again after being passed is a lot safer than a car having to pass on the right in order to get back into the fast lane again.

Driving friendly means showing consideration regardless of how you feel about the jerkoff behind you. For all you know he/she may be experiencing a true emergency, one that means ignoring the present speed limit. Playing judge behind the wheel can be as dangerous as driving over the speed limit. Let the speeder pass you by and get themselves a speeding ticket rather than pissing them off and raising the potential for an accident.
All of the jerkoffs who I've been irritated enough to follow because I was curious if they had a serious emergency didn't have one. They went to a house or to a shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
All of the jerkoffs who I've been irritated enough to follow because I was curious if they had a serious emergency didn't have one. They went to a house or to a shopping center.
Wow ... that's actually ... kind of creepy. Seriously.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
As is a compulsion to justify one's speeding by saying that it's the people who AREN'T exceeding the legal speed limit who are the cause of the problem. Seriously.

Again, if everyone obeyed the speed limit, the whole argument about "normal flow of traffic" would be moot, because there would be no problem. It's only when some feel that it is their God-given right to go faster than the speed limit that a problem arises. If they weren't doing that, the "normal flow of traffic" would be within the legal speed limit. Not rocket science.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As is a compulsion to justify one's speeding by saying that it's the people who AREN'T exceeding the legal speed limit who are the cause of the problem. Seriously.

Again, if everyone obeyed the speed limit, the whole argument about "normal flow of traffic" would be moot, because there would be no problem. It's only when some feel that it is their God-given right to go faster than the speed limit that a problem arises. If they weren't doing that, the "normal flow of traffic" would be within the legal speed limit. Not rocket science.
I think that you are taking this subject way too seriously, and your replies are becoming a bit emotional. You don't like speeders. I get that. You now assume I'm a speeder just because I posted accurate information from a government source that disputed a previous post of yours. As a result, your assumption that I drive unsafely is as creepy as someone following a complete stranger to their destination out of 'curiousity'.

Hmm ... alrighty then.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 PM

5,844 posts, read 11,832,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
The trouble with that is that people do that to you even if you ARE in the right hand lane.
If I'm in the right lane and doing the speed limit or less (depending on traffic) and someone comes up behind me and tailgates, I just slow down even more. As far as I'm concerned, it's their problem not mine. If they want to pass, fine, if they can't or won't, I don't let them stress me out - I know I'm not blocking the left lane and I have a reason to be going slower - usually because the traffic warrants it.

On a lighter note, I had one of those a-holes tailgate me for quite awhile and when one of us finally turned off, I honked and waved. My husband said "WTH?" and I said "We were close".

Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
I think that you are taking this subject way too seriously, and your replies are becoming a bit emotional. You don't like speeders. I get that. You now assume I'm a speeder just because I posted accurate information from a government source that disputed a previous post of yours. As a result, your assumption that I drive unsafely is as creepy as someone following a complete stranger to their destination out of 'curiousity'.

Hmm ... alrighty then.
I didn't say YOU drive unsafely or are creepy. I said

"As is a compulsion to justify one's speeding by saying that it's the people who AREN'T exceeding the legal speed limit who are the cause of the problem. Seriously."

There are people to whom that applies, some of whom are posting in this thread who are not you. If you're not someone who does this, then it doesn't apply to you.

I find it creepy to work so hard (as some do) to make the law-abiding citizens out to be the ones with the problem rather than those who break the law. Makes me wonder what other laws they might just decide don't apply to them, sooner or later.

For the record, that applies whether or not it's someone posting in this thread or on City-Data.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't say YOU drive unsafely or are creepy. I said

"As is a compulsion to justify one's speeding by saying that it's the people who AREN'T exceeding the legal speed limit who are the cause of the problem. Seriously."

There are people to whom that applies, some of whom are posting in this thread who are not you. If you're not someone who does this, then it doesn't apply to you.

I find it creepy to work so hard (as some do) to make the law-abiding citizens out to be the ones with the problem rather than those who break the law. Makes me wonder what other laws they might just decide don't apply to them, sooner or later.

For the record, that applies whether or not it's someone posting in this thread or on City-Data.
I think the fact that you quoted my post in your reply, and included things I said in a previous post in "quotation marks" pretty much made it clear that you were referring to me. Anyway, we're now off-topic, so I'll leave you to continue your pattern of making judgements of others.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
Quote:
I pull over, too, when someone with an overweening sense of entitlement comes zooming up behind me to try to get me to either drive faster than I already am.... or to move over and let A Real Man (yeah, right) by!
I'm not going to weigh in about the left lane issue. But I think in general, whenever a driver tries to "send a message" to another driver by driving his car a certain (often dangerous) way, he/she is a hazard on the road. Personally, I think it's good to be courteous. But short of courtesy, just legal driving is enough. Our obligation is to get from point A to point B while following the laws. We should not be "teaching each other lessons". People who do this, in my book, have personality problems. They should be talking with someone about why they feel a need to "express themselves" by imperiling the lives of others.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
It's not something I do all the time, in fact almost never, but a few times I was just curious about what the massive hurry was about. It's not like I sat outside and monitored their every move or followed them across 12 counties. I'm really not creepy like that. I'd venture a guess I'm not the only one who's ever done that. In fact, I happen to know of a couple of other people who succumbed to it as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Hmm ... alrighty then.
If you're tailgating people in the fast lane because them going 75 is too slow for you, then you're creepy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin