U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

1,617 posts, read 1,870,291 times
On the highway, I have no problem getting out of the left lane if someone's coming up from behind, going faster than I am. I don't drive slowly and I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing. However, the aggression of someone barreling down and tailgating extremely close when that driver knows you cannot get over, with a stream of cars on the right and some in front of you is inexcusable. In the moment, it's a dangerous tantrum. In a split second, it could very well be that emergency they were headed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,605,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
On the highway, I have no problem getting out of the left lane if someone's coming up from behind, going faster than I am. I don't drive slowly and I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing. However, the aggression of someone barreling down and tailgating extremely close when that driver knows you cannot get over, with a stream of cars on the right and some in front of you is inexcusable. In the moment, it's a dangerous tantrum. In a split second, it could very well be that emergency they were headed to.
What you mention, the car in back of you in the fast lane trying to "teach" you a lesson by swooping up on you, is one of the nastier X-way experiences(others being a quick lane change in front of you, and getting intentionally 'blocked" when trying to change lanes)......some will swoop right on your bumper practically trying to get you to move....

Funny how asinine we are when we get in our cars, and the things that bother us....and we forget the incident shortly therafter, but while it happens, that R-complex(reptilian) part of our brain surely gets us into the immediacy of the moment.....

Let's face it, freeway driving pretty much sucks period...probably one of the most unpleasant things we do daily...if it wasn't for radio stations and personal CD's/IPODS, along with cell phones(another whole universe of driver obnoxiousness I won't get into....BTW, my old home city of Chicago
bans "texting" Jan 1 next year while driving), we would prob all go mad from freeway driving......

Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 AM

2,709 posts, read 5,464,752 times
Know what though? The things that provoke the most anger in me are not the aggressive drivers. It's all too easy to get out of the way of a tailgater or otherwise crazy driver. They rarely bother me and honestly, I don't encounter that many of them. The ones that are the most difficult to drive with are the "meek" ones. The left lane slowpokes and worse yet, the ones who won't make a conscious effort to merge. I'm beseiged with those on a daily basis and I know they are probably as frustrated as I am sometimes.

I was forced to cut someone off the other day. I saw them in the merge lane so I slowed, then braked and watched as they crept along making no effort to accelerate and move into traffic (the speed limit was 55). At that point, I had easily slowed 10 or 15 MPH and they still wouldn't pull out. Finally, I accelerated and blew past them and they were forced to stop where the lane ended. I felt bad for cutting them off, but by golly, if they would have just made some effort to pull out, even if I had to slow more, it wouldn't have been that bad. There's a big difference between cautious and not making an effort to merge safely. Going slower than the speed of traffic is sometimes just as dangerous as going too fast.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 AM

16,210 posts, read 21,973,454 times
You aren't talking about someone merging onto the freeway, are you? Because slowing on the freeway to allow someone to enter it, unless traffic is going VERY slowly (and if you slowed 10 to 15 mph it wasn't), is dangerous (think of cars behind you that are going the speed limit) and there are rules of right of way to deal with those situations and when people start playing free and easy with them, they cause the very problems they're in place to prevent.

Now, if you're talking about a merge lane where two lanes come together, that's a whole 'nother matter and people should (a) start merging where the sign indicates that they will have to rather than zooming ahead to the front of the line (hey, we all should have learned better than that in kindergarten!) and (b) allow people who do that to merge at that point (as you describe, if you're talking about this situation).

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 5,464,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You aren't talking about someone merging onto the freeway, are you? Because slowing on the freeway to allow someone to enter it, unless traffic is going VERY slowly (and if you slowed 10 to 15 mph it wasn't), is dangerous (think of cars behind you that are going the speed limit) and there are rules of right of way to deal with those situations and when people start playing free and easy with them, they cause the very problems they're in place to prevent.

Now, if you're talking about a merge lane where two lanes come together, that's a whole 'nother matter and people should (a) start merging where the sign indicates that they will have to rather than zooming ahead to the front of the line (hey, we all should have learned better than that in kindergarten!) and (b) allow people who do that to merge at that point (as you describe, if you're talking about this situation).
LOL, I should have reworded that - I slowed down BY 10 - 15 MPH. It was on 360, so traffic ebbs and flows anyway with the lights. But you are absolutely right about the two lanes coming together. I've decided people don't have a clue what those signs mean - you know the ones that look something like this:

/ |
| |

Last week, on Spicewood springs going west right past Mesa - it forms one lane to the right. I saw a Suburban get in the left lane and right as he got parallel to the other car (also a Suburban), he was forced back in behind the first Suburban. He then proceeded to "chase" the other vehicle all the way down 360 until it turned off onto Lakewood. He was clearly in the wrong. I stayed behind in the right lane to get away from him, but I tried to speed up so I could get his license plate and call the cops. I know they try to dumb down the highway signs, but they really should put "LEFT LANE ENDS" along with that little sign. I see this almost daily.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

16,210 posts, read 21,973,454 times
Eek! I haven't seen one of those signs without the verbiage - BAD idea!

And sense of entitlement much on the part of the "gentleman" in Suburban One in your story? I think that's a great deal of the problem, an overweening sense of entitlement on the part of some drivers that makes them think that, yes, it IS their road and everyone else should get out of their way and the rules and laws of the road don't apply to them. From that grows all the rest of the mess we're discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin