U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM

324 posts, read 892,363 times
my last post. failures of the past and failures of the present. once the taxpayers vote to give them the money, you can never "opt out". when my kids made the same mistakes over and over because they "had faith", they were no longer allowed to make the decision.
I continue to pay, and others ride capitol metro on my dime and as i said in my very first post i am willing to contribute to the basics because there are others that have no other way to get around austin. but giving them an additional fee for light rail was too much for me to allow. even if the light rail was running, cap metro itself say it's ridership would be around 3K/per day. and what it really is is 1500/per day cuz they count the same people that ride into town and then back out as 2 people. i don't even wanna know what the billions spent would breakdown/ride.........yikes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

634 posts, read 819,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
i live way north and west. i stay very local so no need for public transportation.

Leander, Cedar Park area? You'll have to forgive me as I have a difficult time keeping up with where people consider N/S/E/W to be these days given the amoeba-like nature of Austin's borders. I can recall when people would say I lived "far" when I lived off of Ben White and Banister . . . now I live off of Slaughter and hear people refer to it as South Austin when to me there's nothing further from the truth. I feel as though we might as well be living in New Braunfels or just in some strange no man's land.

i only support it because i know that there are some that have no means to get anywhere without it.

That's admirable enough.

as for the light rail, i would love to hop on and get downtown for downtown things. things i rarely do because parking etc is such a hassle. i voted "no" each and every time the light rail was on the ballot cuz i knew it was a good idea but likely to never come to fruition. need i say more?

In what I hope you will find much more diplomatic terms, I'm afraid I have to agree a bit with twange. Why not vote in support in then see how you couldn't contribute to efforts in your community to educate the population as to the benefits of such a transportation investment, rather than it conclude its inevitable failure? Also, if memory serves, the current MetroRail plan as it exists was nothing akin to the two plans submitted nearly ten years ago. The original plan was light rail by definition (i.e. indepedently constructed lines, not using pre-existing freight rail tracks, and would have consisted of non-stop daily trips throughout Austin proper, say along North Lamar/Guadalupe between Rundberg and Ben White, for example). Such a plan, to my mind, would have provided a much better "starter" line for Austin . . . but did it not lose by some 500 votes?

just to clarify, when i am in manhattan or dc or some other big city there is nothing i love more than getting on the subway, metro whatever and having others do the driving

Then it appears you are indeed in the market for worthwhile transit solutions if and when they should ever become available here! Or am I reading too much into your statement? Austin's transit infrastructure will never resemble those of DC, NYC, SF, or Boston; and the transit options in these aforementioned cities have a much more longstanding hisory built around the kinds of density and planning conducive to their needs. I would hope that people in Austin and surrounding communities would at the very least be receptive to solutions tailored to the urban landscape presented here. I think the level of growth experience demands that some type of genuine effort be made to provide mass transit solutions which appeal to citizens of ALL means.
-

Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber991 View Post
Does anyone here know what percent of Capital Metros budget comes from fares? Isn't it something like less than 10%?

YES, found it here:
http://www.capmetro.org/docs/FY2010%20Budget.pdf (broken link)

Look at page 22. Third Party Fares make up 3.6% and regular fares make up 4.9%, bringing their total income from fares to a whopping 8.5%.

I think what they should do is just make the bus service free, and figure out a way to cut their costs by 8.5%. The service itself already sucks balls, at least this will greatly help out people where not having to spend $20 a month on a bus pass would greatly improve their life.

Wow! I mean, just wow! That's insane. Thanks for sharing that link. I'm going to have to go home and glance over that whole thing.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I went to the bus site and found a route planner. I would have to walk about 1.5 miles to get to the bus stop and it will take 1 hour 49 minutes and 2 transfers to get to Barton Creek Mall from my home and cost $4.50 for a round trip.
Bike? Monthly pass? I'm kidding.

And this is the biggest beef I have with Capital Metro. None of the lines are set up to ENCOURAGE use.

I endure the 2 hours to and from work (4 hours total) because I have to. No money for a car and to be quite frank even if I had the money I have other things I'm trying to save up for so the added expense makes no sense for me.

It seem that Capital Metro could start revamping some of their lines, eliminating small, low-use feeder lines, and create more genuine express routes traversing North-South and East-West. The 101 is a laughble excuse for an express route. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've gotten on the bus only to have it passed by the "regular" 1L/1M.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yes, but it can be argued that your money is being wasted now because of the "no" vote in 2000. I'll agree that Capital Metro did a terrible job of making a coherent proposal to the voters in both 2000 and in 2004, but with the benefit of hindsight it's easy to see that we would have been better off with a "yes" vote in 2000 (real light rail) and a "no" vote in 2004 (fake light rail on freight train tracks). That would have been better than a no/no vote, or the no/yes vote that ended up happening.

Agreed. Capital Metro is the absolute worst at packaging and proposing. Too many people there content with cushy government jobs and not out to be committed innovators. The culture of complacency has made the entire organization disposable.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM

2,333 posts, read 5,123,396 times
posted by Nomadic , "...I'm afraid I have to agree a bit with twange"

Please, don't be afraid!

Seriously, I know I came across salty towards chickenfry and if i've offended, all apologies. We are all entitled to our opinions. But I can already see how this is going to go: Next year the city will present their new Urban Rail project (not planned by CM), packaged along with other worthwhile and needed city-wide infrastructure improvements like sidewalks and bike lanes. And as soon as people hear the word "rail", they will act reactionary and vote "no", essentially killing what might be Austin's best next chance (and maybe last for awhile) of getting meaningful PT in a city that has grown and will continue to grow in the for-seeable future. Again, this does not seem congruent with Austin's perceived or real "green", progressive mantra. Utterly frustrating and demoralizing.

I think the only way to overcome this is to restructure and re-brand the CM agency. New leadership, new name and new service. For example: ATA (Austin Transit Authority)

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
posted by Nomadic , "...I'm afraid I have to agree a bit with twange"

Please, don't be afraid!

Cheeky one!

Seriously, I know I came across salty towards chickenfry and if i've offended, all apologies. We are all entitled to our opinions. But I can already see how this is going to go: Next year the city will present their new Urban Rail project (not planned by CM), packaged along with other worthwhile and needed city-wide infrastructure improvements like sidewalks and bike lanes. And as soon as people hear the word "rail", they will act reactionary and vote "no", essentially killing what might be Austin's best next chance (and maybe last for awhile) of getting meaningful PT in a city that has grown and will continue to grow in the for-seeable future. Again, this does not seem congruent with Austin's perceived or real "green", progressive mantra. Utterly frustrating and demoralizing.

Agree, agree, and agree some more. My 2 centavos:

Before any such proposals are made:

*Be sure to express as succinctly as possible that proposed transit plans are in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM the product of Capital Metro. That point will have to driven home and then driven home again. Capital Metro has lost credibility in the eyes of the community so it makes no sense to place them in any marquee position with respect to a plan for risk of having such an association guarantee failure.

*Have community input hearings of some sort. A public transportation investment is nothing without the public's ability to voice where and how such an investment should take shape.

*Establish partnerships with the private sector. Encourage the idea of even more dense development along projected rail corridors so as to encourage ridership. In other words, if people know that a rail stop along their commute is likely to be adjacent to grocery stores, coffee shops, etc, they might be more likely to use the thing? Maybe? What do you think? (You being twange . . . and anyone else.) Upon the establishing of partnerships, work together to publicize and advocate for rail.

*Emphasize how this type of planning is indeed a step in the right direction if Austin does in fact intend to earn its designation as a green city. How green is the following image? Really? Yes I know all cities experience traffic . . . but this isn't going to get better if civic leaders maintain their current grin and bear it attitude. Congestion is the natural result of growth, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be addressed with logical, sensible mass transit solutions.

file:///C:/Users/TIFF%28O%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg (broken link)

I think the only way to overcome this is to restructure and re-brand the CM agency. New leadership, new name and new service. For example: ATA (Austin Transit Authority)

I agree again with a re-branding. But I'd be more expansive. We need surrounding areas who are even remotely interested in partnering in mass transit solutions to feel welcome. Central Texas Metropolitan Transit Authority? I don't know. I'm not a branding expert. There's another opportunity for the powers that be I guess!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,939,487 times
We need bigger roads and fewer stoplights, not more trains and busses!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
We need bigger roads and fewer stoplights, not more trains and busses!

I take it then you have no interest in riding trains or buses?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM

4,013 posts, read 6,113,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Bike? Monthly pass? I'm kidding.

And this is the biggest beef I have with Capital Metro. None of the lines are set up to ENCOURAGE use.

I endure the 2 hours to and from work (4 hours total) because I have to. No money for a car and to be quite frank even if I had the money I have other things I'm trying to save up for so the added expense makes no sense for me.

It seem that Capital Metro could start revamping some of their lines, eliminating small, low-use feeder lines, and create more genuine express routes traversing North-South and East-West. The 101 is a laughble excuse for an express route. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've gotten on the bus only to have it passed by the "regular" 1L/1M.
The reason why govt services generally are bad is that they have no incentive to improve or cut costs. I noticed recently that the shuttle buses at the park and ride place I go to dropped in size by a lot. Those smaller shuttles are probably cheaper and use less gas.

Cap metro should analyze volume and utilize much smaller busses or even shuttles. Maybe large buses to hubs and then smaller shuttles as feeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin