Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

WHOO HOOO!!! Hutto votes YES for the YMCA, and YES to everything else but the sports complex, (so the news says so far).

I voted and I'm happy we're getting more paths to bike and walk on!!! Plus I'm thrilled about the Y!!!

YAY!!! Go Hippo's!!!

now back to sleep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,729 times
there are a zillion websites that track local/state political issues. you can sign up to get email updates for free, without giving them money (if you just want info). they really get rolling when the legislature is about/is meeting. i encourage all to get at least that involved.
one already mentioned here is the league of women voters....leagueofwomenvoters.com. every single one has it's perspective, so i encourage you to try to find one on the left/right/middle.
others are american's for prosperity (rt), texas public policy (fiscally rt) etc, etc.
it's so easy to get involved now.
btw--march brings the governor's primary. this year it will provide an unusual opportunity to get involved. on the republican side it will be perry v hutchinson v medina (if medina is unknown to you you can go here....medinafortexas.com)
democrats will pick between kinky, just declared candidate ...Shami, i think the present mayor of houston, i think his name is White.
please start reading up

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
The way they can have these major ballot items on these tiny elections no one knows about is really shady.
Theres one ballot item on a local election that would enable some restaurant owner to raise sales taxes by 1.5% so he can create some big restaurant complex or something.
Seems like these ballots are a way for the rich and powerful to game the system their way and vote themselves gifts. While very few even know whats on the ballot or that there is even an election.

Last edited by orbius; 11-04-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The way they can have these major ballot items on these tiny elections no one knows about is really shady.
Theres one ballot item on a local election that would enable some restaurant owner to raise sales taxes by 1.5% so he can create some big restaurant complex or something.
Seems like these ballots are a way for the rich and powerful to game the system their way and vote themselves gifts. While very few even know whats on the ballot or that there is even an election.
agreed it seems like we should have an amendment that says that if we get less than X% voter turnout, then the vote doesnt count.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Seems to me, here in Williamson County anyway, that the election was really well advertised. Robocalls, little flyers home from school, flyers in the mail, facebook page for Hutto, etc....They even had people out with signs at different intersections around town.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Prop 2 protects rich people.
I don't see this at all. Any homeowner whose property might be worth more if it is used differently would be subject to higher valuations. A $100K home close to a commercial growth area might be worth more as just land to the future developers. But I think it is wrong to tax it for other than its current legal use.

Nothing wrong with protecting rich people if it is the right thing to do.

I'm glad the Prop passed.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You never get notifications unless a candidate or some party is motivated to get you to the polls.

I voted. Most notably for Prop 11 - limiting eminent domain.
Hurray! I cried after the supreme court handed down its ruling in Kelso v. New London.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Is there an active League of Women Voters down here? I think they are the organization where I used to live that was nonpartisan and always had mailings before elections explaining initiatives.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I voted "no" on #'s 1,2,3,5,8 and "yes" for the rest. Anything that was a new tax or exemption of a special group from a tax I voted against.

Prop 2 protects rich people.
Oh, really?

Let's say you're an older person who's retired (or your parents are) and on a fixed income. You've worked all your life, you bought the house decades ago that you plan to be carried out of, and it's paid for. You can get by, because the house is taxed as a residence, which it has always been and still is.

Imagine that the city grows around you. Under Proposition 2, the tax appraiser would have to appraise that house based upon its current usage, your home, rather than on the usage that they would prefer that it be taxed on, that will get the taxing authority more money, and thus drive you out of your home using taxing it as a commercial property.

Imagine that you inherited the family homestead (been in the family for a couple of generations) from your parents and you are living there and plan to live there for the rest of your life. Same scenario, just a younger person who is likely going to be forced by the tax appraiser to sell the family homestead because it's appraised at commercial rates, not its actual use.

How exactly is it that this protects "rich people"? Those would perhaps be the same "rich people" who want to purchase that property for the use of their commercial enterprise, wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin