Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Bigger is definitely not better when it comes to Macy's in this town. The best one in my opinion is at the Domain. Yes, it's the smallest but at least it's not filled with tons of junk. The next best one is at Lakeline. I have never been to the Hill Country Galleria so not sure if there is one there. That would be worth checking out.
Nope, no Macy's at HCG, unfortunately. I wish, as I'm only 10 minutes away. There are however a handful of other great stores there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I might be mistaken, but I want to say that Macy's didn't even exist in Austin when I moved here three and a half years ago. Didn't they buy another department store out and just move into their spaces? I think the only one that was actually built to be a Macy's is the one in the domain.

edit: I think it was Foley's that Macy's took over. I think the only "true" Macy's in the Austin area is the domain location.

Last edited by mark311; 11-06-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
Macy's bought out Foley's. Still seems like the same store to me, but I don't do a lot of dept. store shopping. They even do the Red Apple Sales.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,708 times
I'm from Northern California where our Macy's stores are usually 2 separate stores. 3 levels of Men's stuff with housewares on Top in one building and 3 levels of Women's stuff with Children's fashions on Top. The Macy's in Union Square in San Francisco is an entire city block with 4 levels.

I will start at Lakeline then make my way to The Domaine.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Foleys was part of Federated which also owned the Bon Marche and I think possibly Filenes or another big department store in the NE. Macy's bought them out quite a while ago but in the past few years has been changing all of the names of the federated stores to "Macy's" So Macy's probably owned Foleys for quite some time before the name changed.

Just did some reading and Federated always owned Foley and Macy's has always been a part of Federated. Federated apparently changed it's name to Macy's Inc. and then started rebranding all of the federated stores likely to cash in on the world famous Macy's name.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Foley's was actually owned by May Co. In 2005 Macy's bought out may co., and in fall 2006 changed all former may co. stores to the Macy's Brand. In 2008 they changed from Federated to Macy's inc. which also owns Bloomingdales.
Before the merger macy's had no stores in Austin, nor were there any plans to open any, the only stores in Texas were at the Galleria Dallas, Houston Galleria, North Star mall in San Antonio and Stonebriar Center in Frisco. The domain was a planned Foley's store, it's very similar in style to the San Antonio La Cantera store which was the last prototype for May Co.
Since then true macy's stores were opened in Fairview north of Dallas and Pearland a suburb of Houston.
Macy's doesn't really know what to do with the Austin stores, the upper management for the Austin area is actually based out of San Antonio, and no Austin store is considered "Flagship" while Dallas has two, Houston has three, and San Antonio has one.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Foley's was actually owned by May Co. In 2005 Macy's bought out may co., and in fall 2006 changed all former may co. stores to the Macy's Brand. In 2008 they changed from Federated to Macy's inc. which also owns Bloomingdales.
Before the merger macy's had no stores in Austin, nor were there any plans to open any, the only stores in Texas were at the Galleria Dallas, Houston Galleria, North Star mall in San Antonio and Stonebriar Center in Frisco. The domain was a planned Foley's store, it's very similar in style to the San Antonio La Cantera store which was the last prototype for May Co.
Since then true macy's stores were opened in Fairview north of Dallas and Pearland a suburb of Houston.
Macy's doesn't really know what to do with the Austin stores, the upper management for the Austin area is actually based out of San Antonio, and no Austin store is considered "Flagship" while Dallas has two, Houston has three, and San Antonio has one.
I don't doubt you, I was relying on Wikipedia for my info on Federated related to Foleys it reads:
"Macy's Inc. was founded as Federated Department Stores in 1929 in Columbus, Ohio. Federated was originally a department store holding company for Abraham & Straus, F&R Lazarus & Company (including its Cincinnati division, then known as The John Shillito Company) and William Filene's Sons of Boston. Bloomingdale Brothers joined the organization in 1930. Federated moved its corporate offices to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1945.
Over the next few decades, Federated expanded nationwide, adding Rike Kumler of Dayton, Ohio (merged into Shillito's in the 1980s to become Shillito-Rike's); Burdines of Miami, Florida; Rich's of Atlanta, Georgia; Foley's of Houston, Texas; Sanger Brothers and A. Harris, both of Dallas, Texas (which was merged with Sanger Brothers to form Sanger-Harris); Boston Store of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; MainStreet of Chicago, Illinois; Bullock's, of Los Angeles; I. Magnin, of San Francisco, California; Gold Circle; and Richway Discount Department Stores of Worthington, Ohio. In 1982, Federated acquired the Twin Fair, Inc. discount store chain based in Buffalo, New York and merged it with Gold Circle.[4]"

When did May Company acquire Foleys? 1988: May acquires Foley's in Houston and Filene's in Boston from Federated. So depending on when the store in Barton Creek was built pre 88, part of Federated, post 88 part of May.

Last edited by Jennibc; 11-07-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: answered my own question about acquisition.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
[quote=smuboy86;11520029]Foley's was actually owned by May Co. In 2005 Macy's bought out may co., and in fall 2006 changed all former may co. stores to the Macy's Brand. In 2008 they changed from Federated to Macy's inc. which also owns Bloomingdales.
Macy's doesn't really know what to do with the Austin stores, the upper management for the Austin area is actually based out of San Antonio, and no Austin store is considered "Flagship" while Dallas has two, Houston has three, and San Antonio has one.[/quote]

Macy's had a conundrum in Atlanta also. When Macy's and Rich's "merged", some malls had BOTH stores. In some ways, Rich's had more appeal to Georgians than did Macy's, given its local roots. Quite a bit of overlap, merchandise-wise between the two. Of course, regional chains overlap national ones in many places...one wonders why you need a Dillards, Nordstroms, Neimans, Saks,Macys, Belk, Parisian(sp?), JCPennys, Sears, Bealls, etc, etc all within a couple of miles of each other or, in many cases, in the SAME mall or shopping center. The redundancy of brands/categories among dept. stores is but one reason so many are having a hard time competing. Never mind the Kohls, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Bed, Bath, Beyond, Linens&Things, etc., etc., that are 'off-price' yet carry the same mdse. frequently found in the mall stores. I'm glad I got my marketing degree a couple of decades ago...life was so simple then
Bit of a disclaimer...I'm aware some of the above mentioned retailers no longer exist...just using them as an example of changes over the years.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Federated didn't start with macy's. They bought up macy's following the company's bankrupcy in 1994. Before that federated was kind of a discount department store.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Back in the late 80's there was a Macy's at Baybrook Mall in Clear Lake (Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin