Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,137 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm looking ahead of time for a neighborhood close to the University of Texas at Austin campus. What happens is that my son is finishing next year his high school and we likely go to live in Austin.

I live in NYC and I haven't been in Austin, so I appreciate if somebody help me with this topic. What I look for in that neighborhood are:

- close at that university (no more than 20 minutes)
- safe area, this is the most important for us
- it has to have a gym, a healthy grocery store or farmer's market, cafes, library, movie theater
- a park is a big plus
- affordable rent or housing if possible

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,280 times
Please tell us your budget. "Affordable" means many things to different people. Are you planning to rent or buy?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
All the neighborhoods surrounding UT Austin have that stuff. The question is (as stated above), how much is affordable, and what will you/he be looking for? Apartment? Buy a Condo? How about a private dorm? I'll say this -- renting an apartment as a freshman will mean he misses out on a lot of activities / social events that would be provided for him in a private (or on campus) dorm. I would NOT recommend the apartment situation (or a parent buying a condo) right out of high school. You want him to live as close as campus as possible, with the least amount of real-world distractions as possible (things such as apartment rent, driving to/finding parking at school, setting up utilities, cooking, finding his own entertainment, etc.)... Living on campus is optimal. But because that is limited, and sometimes not available, private dorms adjacent to campus (Dobie, Castillian, University Towers, etc) are the next best thing.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Hi I'm looking to rent the first year so, $1200 for 2 bedrooms. After that I would consider into buying a house and my budget is up to $270.000 (+-). I have to say that I have no idea about the cost of living in Austin. I just heard that is a good city, so I'd appreciate if somebody tells me about that. About the activities that are for freshman students...I agree with you in that. In addition, they make new friends which is very good for them too. Is good for the students to live in a dorm because they become more independents and learn to do everything. However, is a worry for me to leave my son alone in a city. Some boys are more mature I'm not sure that my son is ready to leave alone or in a dorm (he is 1 year less than the rest of his classmates), but I'm thinking about it and will take my decision later on. Thank you in advance for you help. Jo

Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
Oh, I see. I misread your initial message... so you are moving here as a family. That's completely different.

In that case, if you are looking to rent a 2-bedroom apartment/duplex in a good neighborhood for $1200, look in the Far West/NW Hills area. It's not right by campus, but it is on the UT shuttle so your son can utilize the University's transportation system. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to campus during non-rush hour times. The area is a combination of students and young professionals (mostly in the apartments/condos), and established families (mostly in the single family homes). It is very safe, even for Austin (which as a whole is very safe).

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 AM

538 posts, read 1,728,547 times
There are a lot of For Rent signs up now in the Hancock neighborhood. Very convenient and easily within your price range especially along Red River.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo47 View Post
Hi I'm looking to rent the first year so, $1200 for 2 bedrooms. After that I would consider into buying a house and my budget is up to $270.000 (+-). I have to say that I have no idea about the cost of living in Austin. I just heard that is a good city, so I'd appreciate if somebody tells me about that. About the activities that are for freshman students...I agree with you in that. In addition, they make new friends which is very good for them too. Is good for the students to live in a dorm because they become more independents and learn to do everything. However, is a worry for me to leave my son alone in a city. Some boys are more mature I'm not sure that my son is ready to leave alone or in a dorm (he is 1 year less than the rest of his classmates), but I'm thinking about it and will take my decision later on. Thank you in advance for you help. Jo
When my son was a freshman (not at UT), he was a year or two younger than the other kids. We had him live in a dorm for that reason. Dorms are great for young students as they don't have to worry about making meals and there is some supervision. Kids who don't live in dorms during the freshman year really do miss out on making connections to others. My son formed friendships on his floor of the dorm that lasted throughout college and beyond. (I, on the other hand, lived at home during my freshman year and missed out on that.) By the junior year, he had moved off campus, but those connections lasted and are a good part of what made his college experience so rewarding. I believe that close friendships form when people share a common experience - like being new on campus, and sharing the anxieties and triumphs of growth. He observed that kids who missed that first year in the dorms didn't form that group of friends because that experience of being new on campus only happens to everyone at once when they are all freshmen together. Of course, you know your own son best, but this is something to keep in mind. My husband still has friends from that freshman dorm experience - and that was 40 years ago!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo47 View Post
I could put you in touch with a real estate agent if you need a good one. In the meantime, I suggest you do some research on cost of living in Austin. Although it's a lot cheaper than NYC (well, just about every city is!), Austin is not really that "cheap" as far as southern cities go. Austin is actually the priciest city in Texas. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
A quick search of the MLS with your criteria in mind shows that your best bets might be just north of Hyde Park and Highland Village (north of 45th, east of Mopac). The Hancock area, as mentioned, is another possibility.

Those are all houses. There are more possibilities available in apartments.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Default I will keep in mind your sugestions....

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I will keep in mind them.

I'm doing some research before taking my decision.

Thanks for all.

Josefina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: