Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 AM

249 posts, read 649,919 times

Advertisements

F&N
how do you like Round Rock? My husband and i are planning on moving to texas and have been looking at Round Rock. Does anyone out there have any other towns they can recommend? We have a 2 yr old and want a nice community feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 AM
F&N F&N started this thread

24 posts, read 77,569 times
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it! We're trying to convince my mom to move out here now, she's coming for a visit in February. Round Rock has a different feel than anywhere else. Not quite sure how to explain it. I feel very safe around here. Great family community so far, we're moving into our new house in Teravista next week. The weather here is awesome so far, love seeing the sun just about everyday! So far we're VERY happy! You should definitely come check it out, good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Buffet Palace across from the Home Depot at the corner of I35 and Toll 45 is pretty good. They have a large buffet selection including salad, soup, sushi, and multiple deserts. The food is usually very fresh. My kids get a kick out of the spicy miniature octopus dish. This is making me hungry. I think I might have to make a trip over there for lunch.
I only ate there once and found that food terrible. It was all overcooked! I haven't returned since.

I too am yet to find any good Chinese food out here. It's so much better in California.
We did the same thing a couple years ago - went twice - did not like it either time and have not/will not go back again.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 AM

249 posts, read 649,919 times
Great thanks, we were online yesterday looking at houses for sale and the prices seem soooo cheap compared to northen NJ... here we would need to spend 400-500k to buy something decent in an "ok" neighborhood ! Not to mention it would be like 150 years old.
thanks for the tip, might come out and check things out on Dec.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Great thanks, we were online yesterday looking at houses for sale and the prices seem soooo cheap compared to northen NJ... here we would need to spend 400-500k to buy something decent in an "ok" neighborhood ! Not to mention it would be like 150 years old.
thanks for the tip, might come out and check things out on Dec.
Funny you say that because to some, the older homes are the creme de le creme, and new construction is cheapo, trashy housing. lol.

personally, another living option I'd give is Pflugerville. I'm a northeast transplant myself, and I really dig the quiet laid back lifestyle where I live. I'm close to major shopping and the toll road. I never go into Austin except for workdays. And it's less expensive.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
I give a hearty thumbs up to Happy Dragon in the Greenlawn shopping center. My Vietnamese boss gave it a thumbs up, and frankly I trust a thumbs up from an Asian person, since he eats Asian food regularly.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I give a hearty thumbs up to Happy Dragon in the Greenlawn shopping center. My Vietnamese boss gave it a thumbs up, and frankly I trust a thumbs up from an Asian person, since he eats Asian food regularly.
Most of the chinese restaurants that people have listed are for americans and don't have actual good chinese food. There are just a couple of places in austin that are pretty good. You can generally tell by the number of actual chinese people in the place. There are no buffets that have good chinese food.

If you are ordering general tso's chicken, orange beef or sweet and sour pork you arent really ordering real chinese food. You are ordering chinese conconctions made for american taste buds.

1) Din-ho used to be really good, though I havent eaten there in several years (not by round rock), it's a long story but supposedly the bbq (first china bbq?) place in chinatown center has similar recipes to din-ho.

2) We like fortune in the chinatown shopping center (north lamar by parmer and I-35). They have a decent peking duck (though the quality varies from excellent to mediocre - luck of the draw I guess). Their dim sum is very good.

3) Asia cafe (formerly asia market). Their quality seems to have slipped, but this is by far the most authentic best chinese food in town. It used to be a hole in the wall in the back of the grocery but they have moved to a standalone restaurant. We usually get the spicy fish filet, ma po tofu and pan fried noodles.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,121,833 times
Lack of Good Chinese food and good Jewish Deli's are things that I have come to deal with here. I make up for it in Texas BBQ and Tex-Mex.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM

108 posts, read 254,419 times
Nah. The best one is called "Asian market". It is the best Chinese food in Austin. It has tons of people during holidays. It is located at 183 and Mcneil drive. Just Google it and you will know!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,780 times
I agree with 2 other posters, China Wall hands down. Best Sesame Chicken i've had, and that's including Chicago and NYC. Everything else is good, well-priced, and of high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin