Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,699,908 times

Advertisements

Dripping Springs and Driftwood is going to be flat land for this price... you've got to go well into the $450-500k rang to get a view there. Spicewood, I know a great house for your price range with 5 acres, but you'll have to add a pool, and it's "only" 2200 sqft.

As everyone is saying, your price range is completely wrong for what you're wanting. You've got to up the price, or lower your expectation. You could have great views in much of Bee Cave in Falconhead West, Lake Pointe, Senna Hills... but again, up the price.

If views were cheap, everyone would have one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Dripping Springs and Driftwood is going to be flat land for this price...
Not necessarily. I've spent quite a lot of time over the past few years with buyers looking out there and have listed there (besides just going there for fun and visiting friends over the years) and not all of it is as expensive as it has the reputation for being, especially if you get out of the subdivisions.

Also, the MLS turned up more than a few in that relative price range just today in that area that weren't "flat land".

Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,787,882 times
The OP should maybe reconsider contacting a realtor. He just needs to find the right one. I think as evidenced by this thread, nothing will beat a realtor with a long-time background in the Austin area. They will know all the places with views -- areas like that aren't just on a list somewhere.. you really have to know about them or they will fly under the radar.

I agree it can be done for $350K if you are willing to travel a good distance from Austin. Closer in, it can be done if you can go down on the square footage by a lot.

THL also makes a great point that building a pool on the type of land that most hill-country view lots sit on can be VERY cost prohibitive. So keep that in mind if a pool is a must; you should find a place that already has one, or assume it will cost close to $75-$100K to build one (to be safe).

Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
We have been searching for a home in Austin and as far as Lakeway and everything in between preferred first then Cedar Park/ Leander anywhere where we can have a private backyard and build a pool in it with a little room left for the pooch and patio.
The home must have gorgeous hills or canyon views like those of crystal falls area, barton creek, etc etc too many too list.
What is hard to find is this in a new home builder or existing home for $350k and less.
We found a builder in Crystal Falls that offers an amazing view but the house was too small. We've been looking by Zilker Park and the homes are in the millions.
Looking for a private backyard with gorgeous views of hills or canyons.
Home is either new or existing. If existing must be updated and room for a pool in both and about 3000 square feet more or less.
Can anyone help? Suggestions of areas? We don't know all the towns in between from Austin to Lakeway and would love someone to help out.
A realtor is an option but hoping for people to help out first as the two I spoke with already have just been sending generic emails out.
Been also looking on Realtor.com and other sites and visiting all of the new home builders around.
At austinhomelistings you can search using a map and can filter the results. I did a search for 350K max, 3000 sq ft min, backs to green belt. The properties that are going to be more of a match will be west of mopac or west of 360. There are 14-15 houses north west/west that match. Backing to green belt doesnt mean that it has a canyon view but if it doesnt have a canyon view it probably doesnt back to greenbelt

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
We have been searching for a home in Austin and as far as Lakeway and everything in between preferred first then Cedar Park/ Leander anywhere where we can have a private backyard and build a pool in it with a little room left for the pooch and patio.
The home must have gorgeous hills or canyon views like those of crystal falls area, barton creek, etc etc too many too list.
What is hard to find is this in a new home builder or existing home for $350k and less.
We found a builder in Crystal Falls that offers an amazing view but the house was too small. We've been looking by Zilker Park and the homes are in the millions.
Looking for a private backyard with gorgeous views of hills or canyons.
Home is either new or existing. If existing must be updated and room for a pool in both and about 3000 square feet more or less.
Can anyone help? Suggestions of areas? We don't know all the towns in between from Austin to Lakeway and would love someone to help out.
A realtor is an option but hoping for people to help out first as the two I spoke with already have just been sending generic emails out.
Been also looking on Realtor.com and other sites and visiting all of the new home builders around.
The one on savannah ridge actually looks pretty good. The trees are tall so it is hard to tell how much of a canyon view you will have. It does look to back to a canyon though. To double check you can enter the addresses into google maps and look at the topographical and satellite views.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM

279 posts, read 1,159,435 times
These views do exist in new construction in Crystal Falls but the homes and yards are too small and now with with most of the mortgage rates dropping i'm keeping my eye on Lakeway as I see some existing homes have the price.
Thanks for the advice, but i'm patient and I see the prices dropping now.
New home builders especially are ready to roll and give a reasonable rate with lending. Its basically a waiting game...which can be done for less then $500k and so does my realtor with Keller Williams...after christmas i'll soon have something

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
And you think this should exist for $350K?

"Gorgeous" views cost money, sometimes lots of money. I think your expectations are not reasonable.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM

279 posts, read 1,159,435 times
The Hills of Lakeway is exactly where i'd probably end up or off 360 in Austin, thank you...Steiner is too far and I have been hearing alot of mixed reviews on that place

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Have you looked in Steiner Ranch, River Place, and the Hills of Lakeway?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM

372 posts, read 1,144,252 times
Quote:
The Hills of Lakeway is exactly where i'd probably end up or off 360 in Austin, thank you...Steiner is too far and I have been hearing alot of mixed reviews on that place
The Hills of Lakeway is actually located off of 620 on the Southwest side of Lake Travis. I think you might be talking about West Lake Hills off of 360. I suggested Steiner Ranch because there are multiple properties in that community that are in your price range. Several of them look like they have nice views and one looked like it had a large fairly flat yard in which you can build a pool. But like others have said, the ground in the hilly areas is very rocky. The limestone starts just a couple of feet down and it is very expensive to build a pool in this type of land.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,088 times
In that price range I would say I love Bee Caves and Southwest Parkway areas for gorgeous views of the hills/convenience to town. I can't narrow down a neighborhood for you but my mother is a professional realtor in the area. My personal favorite are the homes in Westlake Hills / Redbud Trail overlooking the city. I'm sure those are over $350k, but a girl can dream!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,088 times
P.S. Falconhead off Highway 620 may actually fit your needs, my parents live there and they love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin