U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 AM

2,522 posts, read 5,245,842 times

Advertisements

This is one I never saw yet on here...

I think many people here from out-of-state identify with themselves far more as an Austinite than a Texan. What's more, I can't imagine many folks go home and describe themselves as a "Texan", and always preface our place as Austin in conversation(going back to Austin..i live in Austin...Austin is a cool city..), rather than mentioning Texas only or specifically in your references to your new homeplace...

I remember people moving to the state in the early 80's to work in Houston's oil industry in the midwest would just say they were moving to Texas....never Houston.....Is it considered declass for those new people to say the same, especially those from places that would look askance if you just mentioned you were "moving to Texas"?

After three years, I find myself identifying far more with being a Texan than an Austinite....the ethos and culture is actually getting into my blood, and I have seen most of the state by car last three years, going often to SA and Houston just for the fun of it....

Most of all, I admire the rebellious, wildcat nature of the state, impossible to yoke down, even refusing fed funds so as not to be beholden and retain independence from fed "money with strings"......People here seem to have in general a very upbeat nature, and are emotional and lovers of life, not to mention they sure love getting outside on a nice day/night to
socialize, listen to music, laugh, drink, whatever......

It all comes back to the original Texas settlers......

Just a few sentences from a book I'm reading about the original Texas settlers and rangers says it all.....

"The Texas frontier promised both opportunity and liberty from the tyranny and class structure, in return for the harsh reality of a life in which each man depended for his survival on his own wits and labor. The hardy Texas frontiersmen and women were a particularly rowdy lot ill disposed to taxes
and to any attempt to curtail their individual liberty. They were also skilled in the use of firearms to hunt game and protect the land they occupied.

In other words, I'm liking and understanding this state the longer I live here....

Welcome to Texas Rangers - Law Enforcement Association

Last edited by inthecut; 11-15-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,634,198 times
Wait, let me get my protective gear on...

After 19 years here, I still don't consider myself a Texan or an Austinite. I never identify myself as such. When asked where I'm from, I always say, "Philadelphia," and then add that I live in Austin, Texas now. And I still refer to Pennsylvania as home - as in, "We're not going to be able to make it home for Christmas this year."

OK, bash away.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 PM

362 posts, read 915,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post

After 19 years here, I still don't consider myself a Texan or an Austinite. I never identify myself as such. When asked where I'm from, I always say, "Philadelphia," and then add that I live in Austin, Texas now. And I still refer to Pennsylvania as home - as in, "We're not going to be able to make it home for Christmas this year."

OK, bash away.
I feel the same way. Texas isn't 'home', and I will always be from Detroit and living in Austin.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,050,019 times
I think many people here from out-of-state identify with themselves far more as an Austinite than a Texan. What's more, I can't imagine many folks go home and describe themselves as a "Texan", and always preface our place as Austin in conversation(going back to Austin..i live in Austin...Austin is a cool city..), rather than mentioning Texas only or specifically in your references to your new homeplace...

Someone not born in Texas would not be expected to move back home or elsewhere...and call themselves a Texan. It makes sense that you wouldn't identify with Texas.

Just because I now live in New Mexico...does not make me a New Mexican.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:55 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,400,716 times
Same for me, like Cathy4017 I always considered myself a Texan the whole time we were in Colorado.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,400,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post

OK, bash away.
One of my husbands best friends lives in Houston and has since he was a teenager. He's late 40's now and still considers himself a Philly boy (never lost the accent either). His dad lives in Houston as well but his mom and some of his brothers are still in Philly and he spends lots of time up there too....so I won't bash ya!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,050,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Same for me, like Cathy4017 I always considered myself a Texan the whole time we were in Colorado.
Exactly.

I will have to remember to remove my old Texas state inspection sticker before I go to CO....LOL!!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,634,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
One of my husbands best friends lives in Houston and has since he was a teenager. He's late 40's now and still considers himself a Philly boy (never lost the accent either). His dad lives in Houston as well but his mom and some of his brothers are still in Philly and he spends lots of time up there too....so I won't bash ya!

I am also still an unabashed Eagles fan.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
I consider myself to be (and always will be) a New Yorker. My daughter, on the other hand, is a true Texan.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 PM

144 posts, read 290,555 times
As a New Orleanian by birth, I associate with the independent nature of Texas, but the liberal ethos of Austin. So, I am more of Austinite than a Texan, but I do like where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or