U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 16,283,565 times

Advertisements

I wonder what people who homeschool do for diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,463,355 times
Homeschool groups...I'm guessing, anyway. My neighbor homeschools so maybe I'll ask her.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM

8,161 posts, read 13,558,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I wonder what people who homeschool do for diversity?
Just interact in the neighborhood. A neighbor who is homeschooled lives next to an Indian family, across the street from a Pakistani family on one corner and a Puerto Rican family on the other...just a few doors down from a Canadian family---all with kids around her age. Did I mention the rodeo clown that lives on the other side? There are AA families just down the street as well...not sure about the ages of the kids. Ah...the 'burbs! Diversity at its best!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 PM

6,388 posts, read 11,549,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Central Austin - Very interesting that private school would be more diverse.

All-

I picked where I live, which is far cheaper than many of you assume b/c we live in a small, old, un-updated house. While diversity is important to me, a home with a soul, close to work, good schools and a nice walking neighborhood was just as important. I expected a mostly white hood, just wasn't prepared for an all white school.

We are white. Very pasty. I just grew up somewhere different, it a nice neighborhood like I live in now, but literally with people of every color. I know first hand know the benefits of growing up in such an environment, and a little sensitive to raising my kids in the polar opposite environment.

I consider myself extremely libertarian. Wishing the US/Austin were less segregated shouldn't be a liberal/conservative tagged desire.

Is NW Austin, Westlake, Steiner Ranch any less white?

laurel mountain elem is 32% asian, canyon vista middle school like 28% and westwood is around 30% minority (16%asian,10%hispanic)

They are also 3 of the top schools in austin .

In contrast westlake is 85% white, 7.6% asian, 5.6% hispanic

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM

7,184 posts, read 16,283,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
laurel mountain elem is 32% asian, canyon vista middle school like 28% and westwood is around 30% minority (16%asian,10%hispanic)

They are also 3 of the top schools in austin .

In contrast westlake is 85% white, 7.6% asian, 5.6% hispanic
Let's be honest though. That's not the diversity anyone here is really talking about. When white people say diversity, they mean this:

#14 Having Black Friends Stuff White People Like

Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 AM

491 posts, read 1,469,746 times
It's all in the eye of the beholder. Our realtor told us that Austin was very diverse and tolerant relative to other cities in Texas. Only later did I realize he was talking about the acceptance of gays in the community.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 4,800,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Let's be honest though. That's not the diversity anyone here is really talking about. When white people say diversity, they mean this:

#14 Having Black Friends Stuff White People Like
my son picked up a book at a store called, All the Things White Boys Like, or something like that. It was pretty funny. Not entirely true, but funny.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,463,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder. Our realtor told us that Austin was very diverse and tolerant relative to other cities in Texas. Only later did I realize he was talking about the acceptance of gays in the community.

I don't really think Austin is more diverse or tolerant than the other cities in Texas.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 AM

3,696 posts, read 5,814,989 times
Compared to other cities in Texas? I'm not sure how to interpret that but it made me laugh nevertheless.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM

4,420 posts, read 5,600,805 times
I don't believe that growing up in an all-white community will automatically make kids racist. I grew that way, but my family talked about issues, and it was perfectly clear to us that our parents were against racism. It was also clear when they did meet someone of another race that they were treated as any other person would be treated. Racism is not the default for children. They are naturally accepting of all people, and have to be taught to be racist. Teach you child to be a moral person, and be an example of that, and it will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin