U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 PM

8,630 posts, read 16,036,890 times
When I say here, I mean Texas, not Austin; sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 PM

109 posts, read 344,973 times
In the summer HOT months (sounds like May thru October), are there periods of relief? Or is it hot & humid ALL of the time, day and night? And is there a point where the high temp just doesn't matter anymore (i.e. above 95 it's all bad)?

In Chicago, summers are pretty oppressive, but there are chances for some really nice weather. On a recent vacation back there, I remember a Cubs game in July a few years back where the weather seemed positively Californian, and stayed that way for days. Of course they lost.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Early morning and late afternoon. Other than that, just chase the shade. May and June aren't really that bad. July and August are awful. September and October it starts to cool down a bit, again. Cloudy days, if they come, are a reprieve. If it rains, it doesn't always cool things down. Feels like your in a rain forest. Today, so far, is nice. The weather in Texas changes often. What I said above is general. What I get a kick out of is how the weather can be different on one street. I mean like, it can be raining on one half of a street and the other half will be bone dry.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 AM

87 posts, read 262,834 times
The only relief from the summer heat is if an afternoon thunderstorm comes in from the coast (known as seabreaze showers) to cool you off for a couple of hours. So pretty much once it starts to get hot, it stays hot until our first cold front which won't come until late September or Early October if your lucky.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 AM

65 posts, read 331,122 times
Thanks everyone! We went to Austin in the beginning of Oct. last year and I loved it.The year before was the Corpus Christi Camping trip in August!LOL Now this year we will go for a week in Aug. just to test the waters in Austin.

I love heat just not the Phoenix, Vegas kind of blast furnace heat.

I have traveled from Ohio to California many, many times and I have to say, hands down Texas people are the best! I have never met more kind and friendly people as in Texas. I just hope with all the transplants (like me) wanting to move there that they leave any attitudes back where they came from

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Us natives will keep you in line if any transplant attitude comes up >

Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 PM

1,038 posts, read 2,625,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionid View Post
In the summer HOT months (sounds like May thru October), are there periods of relief? Or is it hot & humid ALL of the time, day and night? And is there a point where the high temp just doesn't matter anymore (i.e. above 95 it's all bad)?

In Chicago, summers are pretty oppressive, but there are chances for some really nice weather. On a recent vacation back there, I remember a Cubs game in July a few years back where the weather seemed positively Californian, and stayed that way for days. Of course they lost.
It's really not that humid during the summer, just hot.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:59 PM

LOL Love Roses! I'm glad to hear the true blooded Texans keep the transplants (including me soon) in check. My Dad was born and raised in Texas. He left when he married my Mom and she didn't want to be away from her family. Whe he left, he stopped the car and cut some grass and carried it in his wallet. When he passed away 35 yrs later, I opened his wallet and there it was, that grass was still there.

He left his heart in Texas.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 PM

259 posts, read 1,451,972 times
omg island sunshine...i just got major goose bumps (chicken skin) as we call it here in hawaii....when reading your story,...that is one of the sweetest stories i've ever heard!

Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Oh Thanks for the comment Terrie! That was nice of you. I actually graduated from UH. Lived there for 10 yrs. I miss the Lau Lau, Lomi Lomi salmon, squid luau, etc. I listen to Brother IZ all the time

Aloha a hui hou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin