Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,232 times

Advertisements

Islandsunshine....thats Very Cool, You Going To School Here. What Made You Leave? I Would Love To Hear How You Felt After Having To Leave The Island.....i'm Torn, So Worried About Missing The Beauty Of Hawaii....but, It's Just To Expensive To Live Here Any Longer...we Feel Austin Was Good Choice To Move To, Cuz Of The Lakes, Beauty, People Etc......i'm Excited For The Move, But At The Same Time....i Will Truly Miss Hawaii....when Are You Moving To Austin? We Were There In Beginning Of May And It Was So Gorgeous!........ps I Will Have A Local Plate With Some Lomi On The Side, And One Scoop Starch For Ya And Some Dakine Ice Tea With A Mochi Ball For Dessert!...aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM

111 posts, read 332,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
Whe he left, he stopped the car and cut some grass and carried it in his wallet. When he passed away 35 yrs later, I opened his wallet and there it was, that grass was still there.

He left his heart in Texas.
You gave me chills with this. That was so lovely. I teared right up as well.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I listen to Brother IZ all the time

Aloha a hui hou
Do you listen to Keali'i Reichel as well? I LOVE his stuff. I was raised on Oahu, and I miss it too.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
Islandsunshine....thats Very Cool, You Going To School Here. What Made You Leave? I Would Love To Hear How You Felt After Having To Leave The Island.....i'm Torn, So Worried About Missing The Beauty Of Hawaii....but, It's Just To Expensive To Live Here Any Longer...we Feel Austin Was Good Choice To Move To, Cuz Of The Lakes, Beauty, People Etc......i'm Excited For The Move, But At The Same Time....i Will Truly Miss Hawaii....when Are You Moving To Austin? We Were There In Beginning Of May And It Was So Gorgeous!........ps I Will Have A Local Plate With Some Lomi On The Side, And One Scoop Starch For Ya And Some Dakine Ice Tea With A Mochi Ball For Dessert!...aloha
Hi Terrie,
You will miss Hawaii, but you will visit. When you do you will get to ENJOY the beauty and you will REALLY see it. I lived there from 3 months old, to 21 years. I will always be an island girl. As for da local plate, I goin make some dakine kalua pork wen I moov der. Hooo, it goin' be so good, it goin broke my new neighbas mout...
Our current neighbors are sitting shiva that we are leaving. They will miss the Hawaiian food nights. Chicken Katsu, Mac Salad, Kalua Pork, Shoyu Chicken..etc...

Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 PM

65 posts, read 432,467 times
Chicken Katsu, Shoyu Chicken, mac salad and 2 scoops rice...STOP!!! I love Keali'i Reichel . I have about 5 of his Cd's Daisy do you still live there or you left at 21? Which Island? I lived oh Oahu for school but as soon as I was allowed to live off campus I moved to Mililani. Eventually when I move back I will probably to to Maui. I love Makawao and Haiku areas.

Terrie, are yoo for sure going to leave? Oh you will miss it everyday. It gets in your blood and there is no getting it out.

I listen to the music I order in my huli huli sauce LOL, I have Randy Braun and Kim Taylor Reese pictures all over my house....we travel there every year. I would be moving now except I have 2 dogs and don't want them to go into cago. But when they are gone.....

Maui here I come.

Ahhhh thanks for the memories....now I have to go see if I have the things to make some good local grinds

Aloha a nui hou

Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,232 times
islandsunshine.......i'm trying to prepare myself for the 'HAWAII LOSS".....I WILL ENJOY THE ISLAND AND TRAVEL TO THE OTHER ISLANDS AS WELL, BEFORE WE LEAVE. WE'VE LISTED THE PROS AND CONS AND MOVING JUST SEEMS THE LOGICAL, SENSIBLE THING TO DO.....COMES A POINT WHERE WE HAVE TO RELALIZE THE HAWAII DREAM IS ONLY FOR A SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE, MOSTLY FOR THE VERY RICH WHO DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT RETIREMENT.....WE FEEL GOOD ABOUT THE CHOICE WE MADE IN MOVING TO AUSTIN......THE BIGGEST THING I'LL MISS IS JUMPING INTO THE OCEAN (WE LIVE 5 MIN FROM THE WATER) AND FEELING THE WARM SAND ON MY TOES AND THE PERFECT TEMPERMENT OF THE WATER AS I COOL OFF, JUMP THE WAVES, SWIM WITH MY GRANDSON, SUNBATHE FOR AWHILE, THEN TURN AROUND AND DO IT AGAIN THE NEXT DAY!!...OH AND THE KATSU CHICKEN AND FRESH PINEAPPLE...

Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Islandsun, that was a great note about your dad! Take a page from his book, and bring something with you to remind yourself of where you came from.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Daisy do you still live there or you left at 21? Which Island?

Aloha a nui hou
I left Oahu at 21. I am now 42. ;o)
My brother lives near Makawao, he lives in Pukalani. I am fortunate in that I can visit whenever I want, and often do so.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Islandsun, that was a great note about your dad! Take a page from his book, and bring something with you to remind yourself of where you came from.

BUT NOT LAVA! Pele would be VERY angry!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I have Randy Braun and Kim Taylor Reese pictures all over my house
You and me both. I met Kim last time i was on Oahu. He was at his gallery on the North Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin