Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,991 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving into a home I just purchased in the 78745 and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for hi-speed internet service providers in the area. I was locked into a Time Warner Cable contract as a renter last year, and am looking for an alternative from TWC's terrible service and monopolistic approach to biz. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
-billy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM

111 posts, read 294,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybicket View Post
Hi, I'm moving into a home I just purchased in the 78745 and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for hi-speed internet service providers in the area. I was locked into a Time Warner Cable contract as a renter last year, and am looking for an alternative from TWC's terrible service and monopolistic approach to biz. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
-billy
If you don't like TWC, you are not going to like anyone. Everyone is a bit different, but when you boil them down, you are still looking a the same thing. ATT is no better, costs more, and gives worse service. However, they deliver nicely on the hardware side of things.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cure View Post
hey, my 2c is that you're going to get ripped off by the big name guys no matter what. they charge you so much because they have no competition. i switched over to a streaming internet cable provider that gives me all the channels (like over 600) for less than one month's service with comcast or att.
Unfortunately, your two cents not only consists of a referral link so you get a kick back, but it also consists of basically a useless service that doesn't work. Hopefully nobody that reads your post throws away $50.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybicket View Post
I was locked into a Time Warner Cable contract as a renter last year, and am looking for an alternative from TWC's terrible service and monopolistic approach to biz.
You're pretty much stuck with whatever is offered in your area. In the Austin area, you will be limited to Time Warner, Grande Communications, AT&T Uverse, or a satellite provider like DirecTV or Dish Network. The satellite providers lock you into a 2 year contract from the start. Some outlying cities have Suddenlink cable as their only option other than satellite. Both Grande and AT&T will only be available in certain areas. You should call each one or look on their websites to see if they are offered for your exact address. You might be stuck with TWC as your only non-satellite option.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
If you don't like TWC, you are not going to like anyone. Everyone is a bit different, but when you boil them down, you are still looking a the same thing. ATT is no better, costs more, and gives worse service. However, they deliver nicely on the hardware side of things.
Personally, I have had much better service and quality with ATT over TWC. When we had problems with TWC they consistently tried to tell us that it was our fault and that we didn't know what we were talking about. Their service guys finally showed up and the picture froze and pixelated during the Olympics.... There service guy tried to play it off as that it was their fault... With ATT they showed up on time, the installers made sure everything was working correctly and when we had an issue they came right out and replaced the box.

Pricewise, the cost for TV + internet after the "Promo" deals seemed to be pretty equal. Voip; Vonage is cheapest.

I have been a long time vonage user for my VOIP and they have improved their service if you call internationally.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,550 times
TWC DVR sucks, the interface is slow and outdated.

I've been very happy once Uverse came to my street - make sure it is the fiber to the house if you go that route.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
I've been very happy once Uverse came to my street - make sure it is the fiber to the house if you go that route.
I actually have Uverse and the fiber is only to the front of my neighborhood and it's fine. I still get 700KB/sec downloads and everything else works great.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,991 times
Thx for all of the suggestions folks. Sounds like I'm stuck between TWC and AT&T, and from what it looks like here, AT&T is the better choice. Will ring them up soon. Thx again!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
I'm looking for an ISP for internet only. No cable TV, just a reliable connection.
Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Okay, I'll refine my question:

Has anybody tried a residential, internet-only service in S. Austin (78704)?
I've looked at Clear Wire (4G) and Verizon plans - they seem to offer service for $45-$50 but it looks like only 10 - 15 Mbps DL speed. That's considerably slower than my current TWC Road Runner (20 - 30 Mbps according to speedtest.net) but it's acceptable I think.

All I want is reliable internet connection (i.e. not just picking up whatever WiFi that I can get at home for free) for I guess $50/month maximum. Has anybody tried anything like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: