Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,014,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
City of Austin - Water Treatment Plant

Note that all of Austin's water treatment plants are on the West side of town, uphill from Austin.

Actually, Austin's water supply is less polluted then most Cities because there are no large Cities and few industries upstream to pollute the river.

Some of the water flowing into the river is aquifer water, such as what flows out of Barton Springs and down into Town Lake. I'm sure there are some other small hill country springs that contribute to the water in the Colorado River, like Krause Springs, but by far the most of it is surface run off.
Well, I suppose you technically can filter most things out of the water, but, with the statements on here per the smell of tapwater, and the look, you wonder what they are missing....

BTW, my tapwater in my apartment in north austin in 07 had lots of floaters, little white thingies that were dispersed throughout the glass, and it tasted like scum......I often wonder what was in that, now that I read all these posts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,063,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
No kiddin'?

Looks like I'll be buying distilled water from HEEB for my coffee/drinking water from now on!
Seems like it would be much more economical, not to mention more ecologically sound, to filter the tap water, either whole house or under the sink. Lots of people in Austin do that, I understand. Do most people find that an acceptable alternative?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Seems like it would be much more economical, not to mention more ecologically sound, to filter the tap water, either whole house or under the sink. Lots of people in Austin do that, I understand. Do most people find that an acceptable alternative?
After seeing "floaters" in the water, and tasting the scum-like residue, I really would rather get fresh spring water(not the danali filterered tap water crap pepsico sells, but real spring water), in gallons from Heeb....

I believe Austin has one of the highest usages of Hinckley/Schmitt type delivery services per capita, so sounds like many folks are going that route here as well...

Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Austin's water is perfectly safe. But I know lots of people have a strange paranoia about drinking water, thus all the bottled water sales, which are now shown to be dangerous because of the plastics they contain.

I feel safe drinking the Austin water, but we do filter it at the refrigerator otherwise lime deposites clog up the ice maker. So we also take most of our drinking water from the water tap on the refrigerator, since it has no oder. The City website says:

Quote:
City of Austin - Index
The drinking water provided to you in 2008 met all national and state water quality standards.
Additional information on test results can be found in the tables in the What's in the Water web page. EPA requires water systems to test up to 97 constituents. Only those found are reported here, all others are not detected.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,697,840 times
Cities with best and worst tap water | Yahoo! Green

Found this link today on yahoo! Austin is rated in top 10 for tap water! Interesting...given several peoples opinions on how bad the water is here...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post

Found this link today on yahoo! Austin is rated in top 10 for tap water! Interesting...given several peoples opinions on how bad the water is here...
I would not expect anything less.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM

oh boy, another top 10 list for Austin!....Austin might be the first metro famous for being ON top 10 lists, with top ten lists actually responsible for much of its growth/notoriety....unfortunately, it is really akin to being famous for BEING famous, ala Paris Hilton or Corey Feldman...

What happens when Austin stops appearing on top ten lists? Will it fall off the face of the earth? Implode? One can only imagine the possiblilities!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,775 times
Corey Feldman earned fame through "Stand by Me" and "Goonies" - not in the same vein as Paris Hilton at all.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 456,911 times
Not to worry. I saw a listing of top 10 performing high schools last week. IIRC it was from US News & World Report. Austin, and surrounding bedroom bergs, did not place.

On the water issue, we've only noticed "pond water" smells when filling a bathtub or running a shower at certain times of the year. The big box and local hardware stores all sell complete kits for adding a filtered water tap to a sink. We bought the individual components considerably cheaper at the same store and the filtered water has no off flavors or smells at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
oh boy, another top 10 list for Austin!....Austin might be the first metro famous for being ON top 10 lists, with top ten lists actually responsible for much of its growth/notoriety....unfortunately, it is really akin to being famous for BEING famous, ala Paris Hilton or Corey Feldman...

What happens when Austin stops appearing on top ten lists? Will it fall off the face of the earth? Implode? One can only imagine the possiblilities!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post

The water is definitely bad. Where I live now isnt as bad as I have had it in Austin (I can drink straight out of the tap most of the time) but sometimes the water does smell. Sometimes it smells very strongly of chemicals, sometimes it smells musty like dirt.

At our office though it isnt acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin