Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

When I first came to Austin in '98 I stayed at a hotel on that corner. I thought the location was nothing special then with an interstate, 6-lane road, and restaurants like Jack in the box and chinese food you'd want to avoid. Only good things about location is you can walk to downtown and proximity to the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I remember reading the initial press release for Star Riverside a year or two ago, and all I could say was "oh brother". It never had a chance, period.

It was a stupid concept, way over priced, and it truly amazed me that anyone could be so dumb as to think that a super high end, luxury project would make it in that specific location. It's not "downtown". The quotes from the developers in the news article were fantasy, wishful thinking, and very naive. The people are not from around here. They could have asked a few Realtors and been told quickly "ain't gonna fly in that location".

How do people this dumb get access to so much money? And who are the bankers that looked at the initial project and thought "looks good"?

Steve
I remember the Australian developer wanted to price the higher-end units at 1 mil+, describing them as the "un-gettable get" (with scenic views of the occasional dead body floating under the 35 bridge). The price told me that the developer was trying to prematurely transfer the risk onto the buyer. The units might be worth that 15 years from now.

You wouldn't buy a stock for 50% more than it was worth because your broker told you to do so, would you?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I remember the Australian developer wanted to price the higher-end units at 1 mil+, describing them as the "un-gettable get" (with scenic views of the occasional dead body floating under the 35 bridge). The price told me that the developer was trying to prematurely transfer the risk onto the buyer. The units might be worth that 15 years from now.

You wouldn't buy a stock for 50% more than it was worth because your broker told you to do so, would you?
the difficulty is knowing what something is worth. The most reliable way to price real estate is by ignoring the appreciation and treating it on a discounted cash flow basis. For example, sum the cash flows over the next 10 years and compare that to other investment vehicles. If you want you can incorporate some appreciation (say 3%-5%).

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
I think real estate as an investment vehicle has jumped the shark essentially permanently now. 5% is on the high side, actually, even in Austin, for the next 5-10 years....look more for a long term 2-3% tops, hardly the stock market alternative of 2003-2006. If you want high returns, buy a paycheck loan store franchise for 25% returns..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I think real estate as an investment vehicle has jumped the shark essentially permanently now. 5% is on the high side, actually, even in Austin, for the next 5-10 years....look more for a long term 2-3% tops, hardly the stock market alternative of 2003-2006. If you want high returns, buy a paycheck loan store franchise for 25% returns..
no kidding. You want an investment? You should have bought CIT stock in early November at 25 cents a share. It's now worth over 27 bucks. What do I know, though.. I don't see how a house is a preferred investment unless it's an extra house for which you receive dividends (rent), or it's a superhot market (which we won't see here).

Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
no kidding. You want an investment? You should have bought CIT stock in early November at 25 cents a share. It's now worth over 27 bucks. What do I know, though.. I don't see how a house is a preferred investment unless it's an extra house for which you receive dividends (rent), or it's a superhot market (which we won't see here).
You won't see it ANYWHERE in the nation....heck, we can't even fund our roads and infrastructure anymore(including in Austin)...yet, we are going to build out exuburbs and city high rise condos for eternity?.....hardly.....actually, we will look back on the hyped/overbuilt residential/condo/retail circa 2001-2006 like we do now per the disco late 70s...just really bad cheesy excess...think McMansions and a Starbucks/Kohls/Target on every corner..

Homes and stores are to live and shop in, not a freakin' poker game!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
The fact is, the city plan was to have a huge corridor of high-rise condos down both sides of Riverside, down to Zilker and I-35, and another two canyons down S. Congress and Lamar.....that turned out to be an absolute bust, just like Las Vegas' idea of canyoning the "Strip" with 1M condos......and the reason for Austin's high-rise condo bust was as much that this city can't support that amount of luxury high-rises as the fact that lending sources dried up at the till....

So, no, the article itself was misleading, not MY commentary....
Dallas and ATL made that same mistake in regards to high rise living, I can't see how developers thought there was this huge market for $400K high rise condos. Houston on the other hand built few high rise condos but shot it's self in the foot with overbuilding 2-3 story condos/townhomes.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Dallas and ATL made that same mistake in regards to high rise living, I can't see how developers thought there was this huge market for $400K high rise condos. Houston on the other hand built few high rise condos but shot it's self in the foot with overbuilding 2-3 story condos/townhomes.
building too many highrise condos is way better than building too few. It may hurt developers, but it will create affordable housing in the area. The demand will always fill the supply - at the right price. This will get more people living downtown which will absolutely driving spending and activity downtown.

In any case there still arent enough downtown condos for a targeted 20K people living downtown.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
building too many highrise condos is way better than building too few. It may hurt developers, but it will create affordable housing in the area. The demand will always fill the supply - at the right price. This will get more people living downtown which will absolutely driving spending and activity downtown.

In any case there still arent enough downtown condos for a targeted 20K people living downtown.
There aren't enough people in the area that can afford a unit DT at the prices the builders would charge. If it was affordable, sure, you could get 20K of people DT, but builders only build out high-end now, or it isn't worth their while.

Now, if you are talking 20K people living in apartments DT, affordable ones, sure, that can happen as well, but, again, it isn't worth the builders while to build affordable rental units either.

Basically, if they build out at all, it will only be for luxury, or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: