Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM

110 posts, read 523,508 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. To respond to some of the posts:

I didn't know about the 8% legislation; that would make it easier for others from good schools to get in. Don't know the numbers this would free up, but does anyone know if UT does plan to use this legislation to accept more applicants from the "better" TX high schools?

Yes, Rice would be great, but it costs around $50K will all fees/room/board/etc. If rankings mean anything, it's Rice, then UT, then A&M, then SMU, Baylor, TCU. For public schools which give an in-state tuition break, it's just UT, A&M, then Texas Tech.

Thank you for the advice on getting in via branch schools like UTSA. I'm glad this is a proven path for good students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionid View Post
Thanks everyone. To respond to some of the posts:

I didn't know about the 8% legislation; that would make it easier for others from good schools to get in. Don't know the numbers this would free up, but does anyone know if UT does plan to use this legislation to accept more applicants from the "better" TX high schools?

Yes, Rice would be great, but it costs around $50K will all fees/room/board/etc. If rankings mean anything, it's Rice, then UT, then A&M, then SMU, Baylor, TCU. For public schools which give an in-state tuition break, it's just UT, A&M, then Texas Tech.

Thank you for the advice on getting in via branch schools like UTSA. I'm glad this is a proven path for good students.
I would rank Baylor and TCU ahead of SMU for undergrad. Baylor is a much better school than SMU any day of the week.

Also, UT-Dallas is a very good university though it does not offer the same college experience as some of the others you listed due to the fact that it started life as a graduate school and is still mainly a commuter school. It is definitely not a slouch school.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM

110 posts, read 523,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Of course our daughter wants NYU, Northwestern, USC - any college that would set me back $30K+/yr she seems interested in.
Just my opinion: I would steer her clear of USC... it might be a highly ranked school with exciting football, etc, but the campus isn't great and is literally across the street from some of the worst gang turf in the city.

Northwestern is very nice, and Chicago is a great city. The University of Chicago is even better, depending on what she wants to study. Very expensive tho.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

I'm actually quite impressed with Texas State in San Marcos, and we're thinking that might be a good option also. My wife is an alum of SWT. It's changed from her days (when drinking age was 18) and it was a notorious party school.

Steve
Our daughter is also looking closely at Texas State. She still has a year to go, so we have time to do proper research. We attended an info session for State and were impressed with the picture they presented. If everything they say is true, it looks like a good combination of small town/private type college, with a full solid curriculum, at public university prices.

From what the State person said, it sounds like they have received a lot of grant money in the last few years and have really improved upon the school.

Also, she will only have turned 18 when she heads off the college. I sort of like the idea of her only being 1 hour away instead of 18 if she headed off to some of the out of state schools she is also looking at.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
I went to Texas State (was Southwest Texas State) University. My husband went to UT so I got to experience a little of both worlds. For me, Texas State was a great fit. I got a great education and really appreciated the time and effort my profs put into their teaching. Iceshots, I think the way you described it is very accurate, small town with a full college. There are 30K students at Texas State so you know it is a popular destination for many. I think I would have gotten lost in the crowd at UT. My husband got into UT under the 10% rule and doesn't think he would have gotten in without it.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
My understanding is that the "space gained" from the move to 8% will be used for musicians, artists, geosciences, where it is hard to get both the necessary skills and very high grades across the board.

The sticker price at Rice and other smaller, highly selective college may be high but remember very few people pay full freight! These types of schools have lots of need-based and merit-based aid available.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Our daughter is also looking closely at Texas State. She still has a year to go, so we have time to do proper research. We attended an info session for State and were impressed with the picture they presented. If everything they say is true, it looks like a good combination of small town/private type college, with a full solid curriculum, at public university prices.

From what the State person said, it sounds like they have received a lot of grant money in the last few years and have really improved upon the school.

Also, she will only have turned 18 when she heads off the college. I sort of like the idea of her only being 1 hour away instead of 18 if she headed off to some of the out of state schools she is also looking at.
That was my impression, though it was my wife and daughter why went for the visit, but I have a friend whose son is probably going to go there and they did their homework also. It's a beautiful campus.

Quote:
Just my opinion: I would steer her clear of USC... it might be a highly ranked school with exciting football, etc, but the campus isn't great and is literally across the street from some of the worst gang turf in the city.
I've ruled it out already, though daughter doesn't know it. Too many whacky things going on there in California. It ain't gonna happen, no way.

It's an interesting time in our lives, approaching college and all the decisions and choices to consider. She wants to be a professional actress. In my mind actress=waitress, and I don't want to spend the big bucks producing a waitress waiting for the big break. But I also want to be supportive of her dreams and passions in life. We'll see how it all turns out I guess.

Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Steve,

I teach at the university level and I always search my rosters for theater majors! They tend to be very smart, strategic thinkers with excellent reading and critical thinking skills. Not to mention fabulous presentation skills. I would not discourage a college major in theater at all!

But, yes, there is tremendous competition for folks who want to be professional actors. It takes a tremendous of luck as well as skill (at least she doesn't want to be a humanities professor! The competition is as great or greater than acting and requires a decade in grad school!)

Theater training will go a long way in many professions!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
UT-Dallas is probably a much better university than UT-Austin. A lot of their programs rank really well. They have the leading chess team. From what I hear everything at UT-Dallas is academic and student focused which is another plus.

UT-Austin is sports obsessed which isn't bad if you love college football. They also have a theme that focuses on "what can you do for the university" and "sameness". So you have to be willing to lay your plans down and go out of your way to appease the college.

I prefer universities that go out of their way to please me. Those are the best ones imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Also, UT-Dallas is a very good university though it does not offer the same college experience as some of the others you listed due to the fact that it started life as a graduate school and is still mainly a commuter school. It is definitely not a slouch school.

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-20-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Actually it is hard to get a reliable paying job in theater. You have to be willing to travel the globe or the states. Students should be warned about that. They should do their own research and not listen to what every professor tells them to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Steve,

I teach at the university level and I always search my rosters for theater majors! They tend to be very smart, strategic thinkers with excellent reading and critical thinking skills. Not to mention fabulous presentation skills. I would not discourage a college major in theater at all!

But, yes, there is tremendous competition for folks who want to be professional actors. It takes a tremendous of luck as well as skill (at least she doesn't want to be a humanities professor! The competition is as great or greater than acting and requires a decade in grad school!)

Theater training will go a long way in many professions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin