Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,908 times

Advertisements

hey TexasHorseLady, go here Play this game! navigate through Austin and join in the fun. I'm sure YOU know Austin like the back of your hand right? then come in and prove it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I saw that thread, and yeah, I do (when you've watched most of the roads being built and used them for donkey's years, you do learn your way around), but I'm thinking, do I really want to give up my secret routes? I've been reserving those for my clients as a part of my service!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I would like for it to work - it's a solution to at least one of the problems that our phenomenal growth has caused. It's going to need a lot of work in order to be really effective, though - right now, it's clearly a test line and won't serve the city as a whole all that much. Actually getting running would be a good first step, though!

Do I think that the city will become any less dependent on cars as a result? Not really. That's not our culture, and however much people try to overlay a culture from a different kind of topography/part of the country on ours because it works so well there, that rarely works. Heck, it took 7 or 9 votes to get it passed in the first place! (That's one thing I REALLY hate about the city councils in past, and for all I know the current and future ones. The people say no. The council puts it up for a vote again. The people say no. The council puts it up for a vote again The people say, "HELL NO!" and the council keeps putting it up for a vote until they wear the people down and get their way, much like a toddler whining until they wear their parents down. That, to me, is not what they're elected for, and there should be at least a "three votes and you're out" law, in my opinion.

But I digress. I'd like for it to work, I think it can work for limited purposes, but I don't think it's going to make us give up our cars, like some people clearly hope.
Now see here in your comments. you are CLEARLY torn on keeping Austin "down homey" like you really like it vs. taking Austin into the future which you like but with moderation.

personally, I don't want the rail system because it's more hassle and cons than pros to me. if they wanted to put a train in Austin they should've done it from day one like Chicago or New yOrk. not wait until you got your city planned out, then dump a train on top of it. more proof that Austin doesn't need that. ...not to mention criminals hitching rides to areas they wouldn't else go to.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I saw that thread, and yeah, I do (when you've watched most of the roads being built and used them for donkey's years, you do learn your way around), but I'm thinking, do I really want to give up my secret routes? I've been reserving those for my clients as a part of my service!

lol..haha boo@ secret routes. I bet I know yours without even you telling me. I have some too....lol

Old 01-05-2010, 03:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Well, JayBrown80, I guess you'd have to take that MoPac thing up with the Missouri-Pacific Railroad (after which Mopac is named because the railroad was there first) itself. The name Mopac (and its pronunciation) WAY predates the roadway.
Well, not really THL, I don't need to take up anything with the railroad at all (especially since it doesn't exist anymore), because I am one of the live and let live people who don't insult people for not pronouncing things my way. I think MOPAC is A-ok, but wanted to check with the natives before I made a fool of myself.

Quote:
Well, JayBrown80, I guess you'd have to take that MoPac thing up with the Missouri-Pacific Railroad (after which Mopac is named because the railroad was there first) itself. The name Mopac (and its pronunciation) WAY predates the roadway.

???

I know.

That's what I wrote in my post.

This is what you wrote in yours.

Quote:
But if it's REALLY supposed to represent South Congress, the pronunciation currently used is all wrong.
...which you wrote in response to people using the phrase SoCo for south congress. I was just confused why people who came here from another state and call South Congress "SoCo" is irritating to you. BUT, people who come here from another state and call The Missouri Pacific "mopac" is not irritating to you (which is what they did when they ran their train thru our town). Especially given your response to the poster who said "In New York NoHo means north of houston and tribeca is triangle below the canal."

Now while Mopac is easier to write on the side of a train then Missouri Pacific, it doesn't change the fact that it is an acceptable abbreviation. And abbreviated and "mispronounced" almost the exact same way as SoCo. Yet others have said that "no one from around here talks like that" along with many other derogatory things and aspersions to people who do talk like that.

So if someone moved to Austin from California, and opened a clothing store on South Congress, would they be allowed to call it the SoCo Boutique? It is their buisness after all. Or would that not be fitting in with the spirit of Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
dumb.
or
Quote:
ghetto.
or
Quote:
pretentious
or ad infinitum, ad infinitum.

Once again, so my message isn't lost. I have no problem with all the TexasHorseladies in the world choosing not to use the term ATX because they feel it's stupid. I have no problem with all the Austin-Steve's in the world automatically thinking you have a "low IQ" for using ATX. That is their right.

I do have a problem with putting someone down and calling them dumb, stupid and pretentious just for the way they speak. As I said before, don't we as southerners get that enough.

Why do I have a problem with that? Because your thought has then turned to action. Thoughts are yours. Actions are done to people.

The only time I had a problem with this thread is when it turned from "I wouldn't say that, it sounds silly...." to "If you say that, you are not from around here, and you don't know the right way to talk, and you have to accept by definition as the correct one." (paraphrasing both).

Why do I have a problem with that. Because the first is YOU controlling YOUR behavior (I dont' want to talk like that). The second is YOU controlling MY behavior (and you can't talk like that either).

Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Now see here in your comments. you are CLEARLY torn on keeping Austin "down homey" like you really like it vs. taking Austin into the future which you like but with moderation.

personally, I don't want the rail system because it's more hassle and cons than pros to me. if they wanted to put a train in Austin they should've done it from day one like Chicago or New yOrk. not wait until you got your city planned out, then dump a train on top of it. more proof that Austin doesn't need that. ...not to mention criminals hitching rides to areas they wouldn't else go to.
I think that it's entirely possible for Austin to go into the future (not "be taken" - that's the part I object to, really) and maintain its "down home" vibe. But, as you say, it must be done with moderation, and occur naturally, not dragged there by people from elsewhere (whether they've moved here or just want to influence here or are from here but think that being just like someplace else must just be SO much better) who think they know what's best for those of us who've been here a while specifically BECAUSE of the way the city already is.

Like I said, the city councils (and I'd have to go back and look to see who was on them when) kept pushing and pushing and pushing because someone else kept being very loud about how we just had to have light rail, in the face of the voters' very loud and very clear, "NO"! Those who thought that the only way for Austin to be taken into the future was to emulate other places kept pushing, and, obviously, nagging does work, eventually, if only in the doomed hope that the nagger will just HUSH UP! (Never happens - they get one thing, and then they want to change something else, it's never ending.)

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,422 times
Default You gone learn t'day! ;-)

A is Austin
TX is Texas

Maybe now your brains will work!!!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,422 times
Quote:
Its just a dumb attempt to sound ghetto. Its Austin not ATX. Anyone that calls Austin ATX should go move to Atlanta.
Gotta say, ATX for Austin TX makes more sense than Atlanta Georgia.
Maybe Atalanta should actually be AGA!!!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfad10 View Post
A is Austin
TX is Texas

Seriously? You dredged up a thread that was almost 3 years old for that lame A**** comment?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfad10 View Post
A is Arlington, Amarillo, Abilene, Allen, just to name a few of the larger ones
TX is Texas

Fixed it for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin