Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM

76 posts, read 174,488 times

Advertisements

My brother is building a house here in Austin. The builder is ready for the house closing in March 2010. But due to kid's schools, my brother is not going to be able to move into the house. Is it possible to extend the closing date to June 2010?

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,033,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0109 View Post
My brother is building a house here in Austin. The builder is ready for the house closing in March 2010. But due to kid's schools, my brother is not going to be able to move into the house. Is it possible to extend the closing date to June 2010?

Joe
its all a negotiation. What vallue is it for the builder (none I would think)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,698,016 times
There is probably something in the contract that says "you will close within X amount of days after completion". If he knew he didn't want to close until June, he should not have contracted so early. There are tons of tricks to delay, like at the design center and such, but too late at this stage.

The builders want inventory off their books asap so they can stop paying taxes and insurance, so I don't see why they would extend for three months out of the kindness of their heart without asking for compensation for what they lose too.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,977,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0109 View Post

Joe
It's possible if the builder agrees, but I doubt they will. Why should they? The buyer can close on time and delay the move as they see fit, but it's not the builder's responsibility to accommodate the logistical preferences of the buyer unless it was negotiated into the deal up front in writing.

Check the contract. It will answer the question.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,740,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There is probably something in the contract that says "you will close within X amount of days after completion". If he knew he didn't want to close until June, he should not have contracted so early. There are tons of tricks to delay, like at the design center and such, but too late at this stage.

The builders want inventory off their books asap so they can stop paying taxes and insurance, so I don't see why they would extend for three months out of the kindness of their heart without asking for compensation for what they lose too.
Agree with this.

(except i think the builders "want inventory off their books" because they want their MONEY. - Since the taxes that builders pay are on the dirt & are minimal & are paid at year end.....but mostly they want their MONEY which they won't get till it closes.)

Are they working with an independent mortgage company or the builder's preferred or affiliated mortgage company?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM

76 posts, read 174,488 times
They are working with builder's mortgage company but it has not yet been 45 days before closing so they can probably use different mortgage company - if it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin