Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to switch to AT&T. I plan on getting phone and cable. Can someone who has had cable internet and now has DSL tell me which they prefer and why?

I'm thinking of keeping the cable internet and getting the rest AT&T. I'm not sure if I should bother with DSL. If I did get it, I would get the Max version. Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM

102 posts, read 307,093 times
For internet, I've had Time Warner cable (in various cities), ATT DSL, and now ATT Uverse. Of the three I prefer Uverse.

I don't like Time Warner because of multiple bad experiences with the companies' employees and installers. There have been many service outages in the two cities I had them in.

I have only had DSL and Uverse in Austin. Uverse and DSL were fairly comparable in terms of download speed (for the same level of service), except Uverse had a faster upload. You can get up to 24 Mbps download if you want to pay for it. Also, with DSL I had to pay for a phone line I never used, with Uverse, you don't.

I use a VoIP service instead of Uverse's phone service, just because it is cheaper with other companies.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:37 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,058,689 times
ATT Uverse is pretty nice. If you're single or have only one kid it's awesome. If you're married with multiple TV's wanting to watch and record multiple things, sometimes at once...not so good. Internet was fast...phone was okay.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:59 AM

372 posts, read 1,144,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
ATT Uverse is pretty nice. If you're single or have only one kid it's awesome. If you're married with multiple TV's wanting to watch and record multiple things, sometimes at once...not so good. Internet was fast...phone was okay.
We have TWC and 6 tvs in our house. We have 1 hd dvr and 2 hd cable boxes. 3 TVs get basic cable with no box. If we wanted to get Uverse on all 6 tvs, we would have to have 6 boxes. This would cost alot more than we are paying now. I do like the idea of the multi room DVR from ATT. I wish TWC had something similar. Also, I believe you are limited on the number of HD streams that you can watch at one time on ATT Uverse. So multiple TVs can't be watching different HD channels at the same time. TWC has no restriction. We had DSL before but now we have Road Runner. We get short outages all the time with TWC's Road Runner. We never had a single problem with DSL.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,982,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
We had DSL before but now we have Road Runner. We get short outages all the time with TWC's Road Runner. We never had a single problem with DSL.
I've had the exact opposite experience. When I had DSL about 6 years ago, it would go out several times a week. Since I've had TW I don't think I've even had 2 outages in 6 years. I only remember one actually.

Unless DSL has improved, there was no comparison speed. TW is Ricky Bobby and DSL is your pee paw driving 45 on i35.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 PM

426 posts, read 1,667,084 times
I'm in the group that had absolutely no problems with DSL. I've had TWC Roadrunner, AT&T DSL and now have U-verse... U-verse and DSL were/are fine, no problems for 5ish years. I had Roadrunner (not by choice) on two different occasions and both times, both locations, had intermitant service with a couple of week+ outages. A lot of that (plus customer service) is why I'll never touch TWC again. Having to pay for a phone line to access the DSL (if you'll never use the phone line) is kinda a downer.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,030,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I'm getting ready to switch to AT&T. I plan on getting phone and cable. Can someone who has had cable internet and now has DSL tell me which they prefer and why?

I'm thinking of keeping the cable internet and getting the rest AT&T. I'm not sure if I should bother with DSL. If I did get it, I would get the Max version. Anyone have any advice?
I switched from TWC to att uverse. Although outages dont really bother me, in 7-8 years of TWC internet I had about 2-3 outages a year. With ATT uverse (about 1.5 years now) we havent had any outages.

We dont typically get the fast service as we dont do a lot of multimedia downloads. Mostly just email, reading news. shopping etc.

ATT uverse I dont think is their DSL but I could be wrong. We use ATT DSL for our corporate line and we have outages about 2-3 times a year.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,053,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I've had the exact opposite experience. When I had DSL about 6 years ago, it would go out several times a week. Since I've had TW I don't think I've even had 2 outages in 6 years. I only remember one actually.

Unless DSL has improved, there was no comparison speed. TW is Ricky Bobby and DSL is your pee paw driving 45 on i35.
ditto. my ATT DSL would have to be rebooted several times a day. this went on for three months. i was on the phone with ATT for 5 hours a few times. also on the phone with lynksys. even had them talk to each other.

i have never had this problem with Time Warner internet (earthlink).

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Quote:
We get short outages all the time with TWC's Road Runner. We never had a single problem with DSL.
Interesting to see that people have opposite experiences, would have to assume that it must be related to local events and not grid wide.

Anyway, we had TWC when my wife's company paid for it. She had had it for years, and had intermittent outages, typically for short periods of time, but quite often. We noticed them several times a year and suspect that they occurred other times when were not actually trying to use the 'net. When the paid TWC was dropped, we ended up switching to DSL (which I had had previously). Since then, we haven't had a loss of service that I have noticed (not that there may not have been some when we were not using it).

As for speed, we are not 'intensive' users, but do a fair amount of work via VPN and some gaming/video/music, and we cannot say that there is any difference in speed that we can notice.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 PM

729 posts, read 2,057,684 times
Does anyone know when Uverse is coming to Avery Ranch in NW Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin