Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times

Advertisements

I seriously wonder what our cats would do with such a creature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, I dig them too now. After the initial shock of seeing something that big in a spider shape, it actually gets kind of cool. They seem to have more of a small furry mammal demeanor than an insect demeanor. They definitely don't want anything to do with you or what is inside your house -- they just want to get back to their little spider holes or rock crevices in the yard/greenbelt.

Plus, they are really too big to try to smash or anything... so you just come to a mutual creature to creature agreement that it's better if they simply get relocated.
Yes - you are exactly right. They're just little furry wombats to us now. Totally harmless, slow moving, just looking for bugs and warmth. We asked the Bulwark man if the holes in our pasture with webbing over them were tarantula holes and he walked down and took a look at one. He took a stick, very gently pushed it inside a hole, and furry little legs reached out and grabbed the stick. He said "Yep" and just walked back to the house ... lol. Here I am now a couple years later and just as casual about their presence as he was.

Scorpions however are another story. They will be eradicated upon sight, no questions asked.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Yes - you are exactly right. They're just little furry wombats to us now. Totally harmless, slow moving, just looking for bugs and warmth. We asked the Bulwark man if the holes in our pasture with webbing over them were tarantula holes and he walked down and took a look at one. He took a stick, very gently pushed it inside a hole, and furry little legs reached out and grabbed the stick. He said "Yep" and just walked back to the house ... lol. Here I am now a couple years later and just as casual about their presence as he was.

Scorpions however are another story. They will be eradicated upon sight, no questions asked.
That's exactly how I feel - Spiders and I coexist peacefully (unless it's a brown recluse) but scorpions aren't quite the gentle or beneficial creatures that spiders are. I had the unpleasant experience of having one crawl across my face while I was sleeping and when, in my mostly sleep state, tried to brush it off, it stung me on the ear! No mercy for scorpions!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That's exactly how I feel - Spiders and I coexist peacefully (unless it's a brown recluse) but scorpions aren't quite the gentle or beneficial creatures that spiders are. I had the unpleasant experience of having one crawl across my face while I was sleeping and when, in my mostly sleep state, tried to brush it off, it stung me on the ear! No mercy for scorpions!
GAH! I'm such a freak about scorpions that I keep a little black light flashlight next to my bed and yep - darn near every night during spring, summer, and fall I take a quick scan before bedtime with the lights off and look for them under and behind the bed, the ceiling, and we always take a peek when pulling the covers down. We've only found one in our bedroom in two years though and he was on the floor, outside the bathroom, and was already half-dead. My husband still laughs at my 'extreme gooberosity' when it comes to scorpions but it sure makes me feel a lot better to be on the lookout for them.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I was stung in my sleep one time too. Not fun.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
I felt something on my arm so I held still and when I didn't feel it anymore I turned the light on and there was a scorpion on my pillow!.
Okay, that's just freaking me out.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
GAH! I'm such a freak about scorpions that I keep a little black light flashlight next to my bed and yep - darn near every night during spring, summer, and fall I take a quick scan before bedtime with the lights off and look for them under and behind the bed, the ceiling, and we always take a peek when pulling the covers down. We've only found one in our bedroom in two years though and he was on the floor, outside the bathroom, and was already half-dead. My husband still laughs at my 'extreme gooberosity' when it comes to scorpions but it sure makes me feel a lot better to be on the lookout for them.
This is a valid approach, and I am not knocking it at all. I do want to also explain our approach. The two times I was part of a scorpion's nightly foraging, our bed was on the floor, box springs and all. I was stung twice by the first one, and the second one missed!

As soon as we put the box springs up on the supports that came with the bed set, and made sure the Bed Shami was not on the carpet, we have gone 3 years now without a scorpion sting. They may be in the house, but I don't care as long as they don't sting us!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,434 times
There's more than one thread on this here on CD and I think one place most agree is that its just plain foolish to have your bed on the floor in TX. Unless you like the little guys.

Once the scorpion population that was there before your house was built is gone, either by extermination or a good stomp, you will see them less and less, and eventually, not at all. Keep your yard free of debris, rocks n such, and before too long this wont be a problem. Also , dont fool yourself into thinking you can seal them out of the house. While it may help a little, the young ones are simply too small to stop.
So, if they got in the house during construction, get the place treated, then control them outside by eliminating their habitat and perimeter spraying. Soon you wont see any and can even stop with the exterminating. They wont likely come back.
Poor lil guys get such a bad rap!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times
I have lived in Georgetown for 3 months and have already seen 2 scorpions on my porch and one in my kitchen. I've had the house and yard sprayed 3 times and I also have a dog and cat in the house. Moving to Indiana next week and I can't wait!!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
There's more than one thread on this here on CD and I think one place most agree is that its just plain foolish to have your bed on the floor in TX. Unless you like the little guys.

Once the scorpion population that was there before your house was built is gone, either by extermination or a good stomp, you will see them less and less, and eventually, not at all. Keep your yard free of debris, rocks n such, and before too long this wont be a problem. Also , dont fool yourself into thinking you can seal them out of the house. While it may help a little, the young ones are simply too small to stop.
So, if they got in the house during construction, get the place treated, then control them outside by eliminating their habitat and perimeter spraying. Soon you wont see any and can even stop with the exterminating. They wont likely come back.
Poor lil guys get such a bad rap!
Since this was already resurrected.

I moved here from Cali where I slept on the floor for years. Of course I did the same after moving here. One night, a few weeks after I moved here, I got up in the middle of the night to go potty. I walked back into the room and laid back down on the floor when I had one of those "hey, did I just see something large on the wall?" moments. I got up and turned the light on, and sure enough, there was a scorpion on the wall. Now coming from the Bay Area, where it's so expensive that most bugs can't afford it, this was entirely a new experience. The next day I went and purchased a bed, first one I've owned since I moved out of the house This is in an apt in NW Hills.

Agree about the "wood roaches", spray frequently and it keeps them to a minimum (but where I am, they are everywhere). An even larger "problem" where I am is actually geckos. They are cute little buggers and they put on a good show hunting all the insects right outside our windows. Problem is the little ones make it into the house. What's wrong with that you ask, well I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up in the evening and while strolling through the hallway in the dark I feel a "squish" under my feet. You'd think the probability of stepping on one, considering their small size and the available walking area, would be rather low, but I swear they commit little lizard suicide when they see me coming.

Oh and one thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned are the centipedes. I lived in a relatively new apt complex once and I'd see some monster huge centipedes. Now those buggers are nasty, they're very aggressive, though they are pretty cool looking (the ones I saw were often a brightish yellow with dark bands around their legs). I stay very far away from the centipedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin