U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM

18 posts, read 52,705 times

Advertisements

Oh thank you, even more towns to look into! I can't tell you all how grateful I am for all your advice/suggestions. I really felt out of my element when I got this job as I have never before been to Texas and so had no idea how to even begin looking into a place to call home. So someone said Wimberley was part of the 'hill country' like it was something separate from all the other towns previously mentioned, but what exactly is the hill country? There was a link included, which I looked at briefly, but I'd much prefer to hear a description from an actual human being...also I'm sorry if I sound a little slow, but I've lived back east and way out west all my life and so my knowledge of Texas is woefully incomplete.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,463,087 times
A lot of the towns mentioned that are SW or W of Austin are in the "Hill Country". The Hill Country is a region that extends from San Antonio and all the way up close to Killeen and then pretty far west. It mainly just describes the geography of the area.

Bastrop, La Grange, etc...are also great little towns. My daughter and I had a great time at the Western Fest Bastrop had this summer (Cowboys, Indians(native Americans), Saloon Girls, Outlaws...). I liked that they were in costume and rode horses around. The River runs past town, there are some good restaurants and shops, etc...

Buda is o.k but IMO Kyle, even though it's a small town, just doesn't have the same type of feel as the other towns mentioned. Like, there's no real "draw" there like a great town square, legendary bbq places. I could be totally wrong, but it just doesn't feel that way to me. It IS close to those things though.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM

372 posts, read 701,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talulah22 View Post
So someone said Wimberley was part of the 'hill country' like it was something separate from all the other towns previously mentioned, but what exactly is the hill country?
Sorry, that was me. The hill country is the section of Texas that starts in West Austin and stretches west to about Junction. It consists of rolling hills with lots of Cedar and Oak trees. It is really quite beautiful. Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,797,265 times
You will probably be paying a little more if you live in a town which is considered in the "hillbilly country". I would consider those towns to be mainly west, northwest, and southwest of austin. Generally most of the cookie cutter communities such as Hutto, Kyle, Buda, and Leander are more or less exactly the same. Flat, and mostly treeless with subpar homes built 5 feet from one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
A lot of the towns mentioned that are SW or W of Austin are in the "Hill Country". The Hill Country is a region that extends from San Antonio and all the way up close to Killeen and then pretty far west. It mainly just describes the geography of the area.

Bastrop, La Grange, etc...are also great little towns. My daughter and I had a great time at the Western Fest Bastrop had this summer (Cowboys, Indians(native Americans), Saloon Girls, Outlaws...). I liked that they were in costume and rode horses around. The River runs past town, there are some good restaurants and shops, etc...

Buda is o.k but IMO Kyle, even though it's a small town, just doesn't have the same type of feel as the other towns mentioned. Like, there's no real "draw" there like a great town square, legendary bbq places. I could be totally wrong, but it just doesn't feel that way to me. It IS close to those things though.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM

16,527 posts, read 23,087,672 times
Just so you know, yes, there are subdivisions within those communities that fit eepstein's description. The communities he denigrates, though, are older towns that were towns long before the subdivisions got there and, if you do more than scratch the surface (like, actually spend any time there beyond driving by on the highway), are nice little towns.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,829 times
We moved to Bastrop this year from Austin, and LOVE IT! Wish we had "seen the light" sooner! Like "love roses" said there are lots of great small-town events, and a great historical downtown. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 67,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
No huge disagreement (although I love me some Railroad BBQ), but as almost a subset of Kyle, the OP might want to check out the subdivision (though it feels more like its own small town) of Plum Creek. I've lived here for a year and a half, and if it's a Mayberry feel that you want, we've got it in spades.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM

18 posts, read 52,705 times
OK so it looks like Georgetown, Bastrop, La Grange, San Marcos, New Braunfels and Taylor have a lot of 'votes' and possibly even Salado, although it was mentioned that Salado, along with Wimberley, were too touristy and perhaps not what I was looking for. What do we all mean by touristy? Is there not a decent year round population in these towns or is that most of the businesses are geared around a transient/tourist demographic? I don't know if I'm terribly dead-set against touristy, I've lived in touristy before and it brought in good business to the town which was great, although I'll admit it did have it's downsides...can anyone tell me more about these two particular towns: Wimberley and Salado?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM

8,642 posts, read 16,463,087 times
artist colonies People go there to shop at unique stores, galleries, etc...they are destination spots in the area. I think the regular population is steady though, not transient.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM

16,527 posts, read 23,087,672 times
Salado has a "regular" population and all the usual (their main grocery, a Brookshire Brothers, just opened a new location in December and thusfar it's awesome - I'll be heading that way as much as Austin for some of my grocery shopping now), but they also have shops, art galleries, and such that draw tourists. (They did originate as a stagecoach stop, after all!) There are events from the Gathering of the Clans to theater that draw folks from out of town (not just tourists, but Austinites) going on all year long.

Think Taos more than Santa Fe, in other words. (I've not been to either in years, but at the time, Taos seemed much more "real" than Santa Fe to me, less staged for the tourist crowd, if you get what I mean.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin