U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I found a great home for sale in East Cesar Chavez area of East Austin. Can any members that are familiar with that area comment about the crime there relative to other areas of East Austin. Would the level of crime there be good, average, or bad compared to the rest of East Austin?

Personal emails would be fine too at: flecktones1@mailcity.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,786,643 times
well, I hear the appreciation there is far better than the beaten path places in the burbs....that alone might make the choice a done deal.....just ignore the agents that will try to tell you that you "don't want east austin"!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,990,010 times
I bought a house recently near Chicon/E. Cesar Chavez. The area is still quite variable as far as the frequency and types of crimes that occur. When buying a home here I found places in 78702 that had between 28 to over 200 crimes over the same 18 month time period. Good resources are:

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/news/crimetracker/ - broken link)
" + theTitle + "

So far I've seen more nuisance stuff that is more up the alley of Austin Code Enforcement than anything else. This area is probably 50% gentrified versus other parts of East Austin, like Rosewood, that are almost 100%. And then there are areas further east like Airport and Springdale which are pretty much the way they've been for decades. There are still organizations like Push Up Foundation which introduce a different set of folks to the neighborhood mix, for good or ill. On the plus side this is not an area in which people close the automatic garage door opener behind them and never show their face outside the house unless doing yardwork. It is more personal here so for example I've had each of my new neighbors help out in situations like a leaky external pipe or my dog being out in the cold. Point is they are paying attention to what is going on in the neighborhood and are more likely to say something if someone suspicous comes around. Just like south Austin from whence I came its good to have a dog with a big bark who'll stand by you. PM me if you have any questions, even if about different streets in this area.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I bought a house recently near Chicon/E. Cesar Chavez. The area is still quite variable as far as the frequency and types of crimes that occur. When buying a home here I found places in 78702 that had between 28 to over 200 crimes over the same 18 month time period. Good resources are:

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/news/crimetracker/ - broken link)
" + theTitle + "

So far I've seen more nuisance stuff that is more up the alley of Austin Code Enforcement than anything else. This area is probably 50% gentrified versus other parts of East Austin, like Rosewood, that are almost 100%. And then there are areas further east like Airport and Springdale which are pretty much the way they've been for decades. There are still organizations like Push Up Foundation which introduce a different set of folks to the neighborhood mix, for good or ill. On the plus side this is not an area in which people close the automatic garage door opener behind them and never show their face outside the house unless doing yardwork. It is more personal here so for example I've had each of my new neighbors help out in situations like a leaky external pipe or my dog being out in the cold. Point is they are paying attention to what is going on in the neighborhood and are more likely to say something if someone suspicous comes around. Just like south Austin from whence I came its good to have a dog with a big bark who'll stand by you. PM me if you have any questions, even if about different streets in this area.
vbg is right....I live in east austin right now, and I prefer it because it has NOT been big boxed to death like NW Austin. Many areas still retain their local flavor, and don't have the non-stop traffic of the conventional areas. Yes, you have to be aware sometimes, in some places, but its certainly a safer gentrification than other cities. I've lived in rough chicago neighborhoods, and heard gunshots every week. I can't say I ever hear them in east austin, or really hear too much thumping of radios either.

Best thing is you are a 10 minute drive from DT, and can shoot right down 1-35 or local blvds......and there are some really nice little local grocery stores that you dont see in NW Austin, and thank god, not a HEB on every other street......its just a more real place, more neighborhoody, not antiseptic like the "better" areas....more of a "social commons" in east Austin, like you see in bigger cities...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,516 times
Thanks for the great replies!

The place im looking at is 1400 block on holly St. Is that intersection pretty decent? Seems like a nice neighborhood where people want to raise their families in a quiet nice place, and not a lot of gangs and stuff like that.

Any more opinions would be great. I've lived in some rougher places (NYC, Central America, Detroit) and this doesn't seem bad at all, just want to make sure im not getting into the worst place in East Austin though.

Thanks again!

Last edited by flecktones; 01-11-2010 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flecktones View Post
Thanks for the great replies!

The place im looking at is 1400 block on holly St. Is that intersection pretty decent? Seems like a nice neighborhood where people want to raise their families in a quiet nice place, and not a lot of gangs and stuff like that.

Any more opinions would be great. I've lived in some rougher places (NYC, Central America, Detroit) and this doesn't seem bad at all, just want to make sure im not getting into the worst place in East Austin though.

Thanks again!
E Austin is more a "checkerboard" of crime, than one where streets define boundaries, like in other cities, though the I-35 "divide" is heard often here. My best rule of thumb for you is to stay away from areas with lots of apartment complexes. By far best rule of thumb. The higher % of single family homes, the more neighborhoody and socially aware/commoms you have, and hence the safer...with complexes, the opposite....

good luck in EA! I think you'll really get a kick out of living there...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Looking at the crime viewer its probably about the same as my address near Chicon. Most of the crime in the Waller/Willow area happens on C. Chavez itself. This is normal as heavily trafficked roads will have more crime.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Looking at the crime viewer its probably about the same as my address near Chicon. Most of the crime in the Waller/Willow area happens on C. Chavez itself. This is normal as heavily trafficked roads will have more crime.
busy roads are major roads, and major roads have more apt complexes....thats really a great rule of thumb!

Apt complexes = crime
single fam res = far less crime

Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
busy roads are major roads, and major roads have more apt complexes....thats really a great rule of thumb!

Apt complexes = crime
single fam res = far less crime
That is true especially it seems for older complexes. I think retail attracts criminal element too as drug deals are made in parking lots and shoplifting occurs inside stores. Holly St is fine though.

This area seems to be about 50/50 hispanic and white. Also there is a huge discrepancy in the size, age and condition of homes. That is you can have a circa 1910, 600 sq. ft., falling down shack next to a 3500 sq. ft. contemporary with all the fancy landscaping. The neighborhood is constantly evolving yet at the same time clinging to the past. I find it fascinating.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
That is true especially it seems for older complexes. I think retail attracts criminal element too as drug deals are made in parking lots and shoplifting occurs inside stores. Holly St is fine though.

This area seems to be about 50/50 hispanic and white. Also there is a huge discrepancy in the size, age and condition of homes. That is you can have a circa 1910, 600 sq. ft., falling down shack next to a 3500 sq. ft. contemporary with all the fancy landscaping. The neighborhood is constantly evolving yet at the same time clinging to the past. I find it fascinating.
well, its real....and far more interesting than the cold conformity of the "safe" burbs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin