Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 136,122 times

Advertisements

OK, this is a total first world problem, but annoying nonetheless: my garage door opener (circa 1994 Sears, came with our house) won't shut using the opener. I've replaced the battery. Still won't. It works inside the garage (where you don't need it) but in general I have to park the car, go thru the house, use the button on wall, go back and start the car, drive in, etc.reverse for leaving. Pretty much defeats the whole purpose of having a garage door opener. Is it just time for a new one or is there something I'm not thinking of? This seems to have started, conveniently enough, with the cold weather, if that is a factor. Does anyone work on garage door openers?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Might try the automotive forum, too, for help. However, my first attempt to fix it would be to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a cheap replacement remote. Most can self-program, even to older units, although I am not sure about a 1994 unit. It could be that soemone has installed (maybe even youself) a new wireless device in the area - phone, baby monitor, wireless internet, etc. In that case, you may be out of luck (unless it IS your device) and may need to get a new unit with a variable frequency option.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
It could be the connections within the opener. I had one back in the 80s that I had to take in a few times to have the board inside the opener resoldered because the lines on the board would separate. I'm not explaining this very well but I don't know what those things are called.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM

103 posts, read 322,099 times
I just bought a universal remote from Lowe's for an older model and it works great. It was around $30

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
I have universal remote too - altho if I only knew how to program it.

I have an old Genie model.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Sears has a service department. Perhaps they could help.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
The remote might need to be paired up with the opener again. Usually that involves holding down a button on the opener and then on the remote until it blinks or beeps or whatever. The instructions might be on the garage door opener itself.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM

313 posts, read 786,284 times
You'll need to know what kind it is. There's two, the electronic kind that swap a bunch of keys and the switch kind where you have to set switches. Instruction on both:

How to Program A Garage Door Opener Remote | eHow.com

as an aside, the set bit ones can be stolen through listening to the signal. The newer key swap ones are much more secure. Not that your typical theif wouldn't just find it easier to just break a window, but its good to know.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
The remote might need to be paired up with the opener again. Usually that involves holding down a button on the opener and then on the remote until it blinks or beeps or whatever. The instructions might be on the garage door opener itself.
Yeah, we tried that. My sister got on a ladder and checked the Genie box on the ceiling and there wasn't any buttons to press or anything to match up for the Universal remote. So I guess I'm just stuck opening my garage door from inside the garage...bummer.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM

313 posts, read 786,284 times
if its from the mid nineties, look for a set of switches like the red thing in this picture with the glare over it. thats the old style, I think called "dip switch", here's a place that sells the remotes http://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/getr.html. You need to manually set the code in both the box and the remote. I think they switched mid 90s so if its from 94 its probably a dipswitch kind

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin