Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 AM

22 posts, read 98,802 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is my first post, however I have been "stalking" this forum for some time.
I am currently finishing up my junior year of college (and hoping to graduate a semester early), I am majoring in Political Science, and getting a minor in Criminology. I want to move to the Austin area, and was wondering where would be a good place to look for jobs with my degree? Whether it be a lobbyist, or something in public policy, or any Government job of some kind, what is there in Austin that I could do with my major? I live outside of Texas; I've been to Austin a couple times though, and really loved it. Now I know that I can apply for any police dept. in the country, and most likely get a job easy enough. However I want to know/see what else is out there first. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 AM

43 posts, read 114,336 times
it all depends on where your degree is from

Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 AM

It is from one of the top liberal arts schools....are there any jobs relating to my degree in Austin? Government?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
Internship!

You need to have one and maybe two under your belt before you graduate. Internships give you real world experience and help you build a network of relationships. Your network and experiences will get you a job NOT your major!

Try to get an internship with a law enforcement agency and also perhaps (after the first one) try an internship with a government agency, politician, etc.

You can't just show up in a new city like Austin (one that this crawling with kids with new degrees) and expect a job to fall into your lap. You will face fierce competition. Use available resource at your school now (career center, resume writing, internships) to make yourself stand out.

Hone your writing skills. Your major field will not make you stand out or give you particular job skills (you are not getting a professional degree and that is okay), make sure that you have the skills of a liberal arts grad: excellent writing skills, ability to learn and analyze quickly, broad education).

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM

yes, I know what you mean about internships being useful! I already did an internship this past summer with my county's sheriff dept., and it was a good experience that got me some very good references. Anyone know of some good internships in Austin? If I did one in Austin, I would also need a source of money, since I do not live in Texas.
And I have taken courses in English composition, literature, philosophy, etc., besides all the courses for my major, such as public administration, research methods, public policy analysis, international relations, national security, and then all the courses for my criminology minor as well.

Also, I'm not getting a liberal arts degree, I am getting a B.S. in Political Science...it's just a liberal arts college, therefore they make students take courses in all sorts of areas, to be "well rounded"

Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
Don't ask us! Instead use every spare moment to pester the staff at the career center. Use every single resource that your "top liberal arts school" has, network with alumni of your school in Austin, squeeze every single free service out of them!

Do another internship where you are, think in terms of transferable skills, try to find alumni here in Austin, network, network, network!

Between UT, St. Edward's, ACC, Texas State San Marcos, and Southwestern University there are over 100,000 college students in the Austin area, there are no shortages of local students to fill internships in the area.

Your best bet will to be to leverage the alumni network of your school and hope that a connection there produces a lead in Austin.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,361,555 times
Try to get on as a staffer during the next Lege session (begins January 2011). Good luck...the first job out of a liberal arts program tends to be the hardest.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,292 times
I'm from the Austin area and I would look into doing an internship with either Austin Police Dept or The Attorney Generals Office, if you want to take it a step further you make look into getting your masters and possibly get an intern with a Federal entity.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,022,199 times
How is Polisci NOT a liberal arts degree?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
How is Polisci NOT a liberal arts degree?

I wondered as well. Here's the first discussion I came across(a few years old, admittedly):
B.A. vs. B.S. in Political Science? - College Confidential
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin