U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:34 PM

277 posts, read 793,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I live in Oak Hill, a couple of miles past the Y. I like the country feel and easy commute into town. I like living on acreage.
And just to show the diversity of the area, I also live in Oak Hill, a couple of miles past the Y. But I live in a semi-custom tract McMansion. Wanted the space inside because I'm an artist who needed an indoor studio, but didn't want to have to spend my life mowing or weeding or worrying about who could creep onto my property without the neighbors knowing.

After being here a couple years and driving around some, I agree with another poster that the NW area of Austin up around Pflugerville is really pretty. We're here in SW Austin because it's a few miles from where my husband's work, but I'd go NW if I could live anywhere in Austin, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:38 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,413,976 times
Why I like where I live:

I know a lot of my neighbors, and we are front yard centered, meaning people are out mingling and not hiding in their backyards. I actually like the green after a rain out here. Driving the hillier backroads off of 79 is actually kind of peaceful, and smells fantastic after a rain. We can swim at the pool in the summer (or at Clay Madsen indoors in colder weather). There are concerts and movies in the park here now. There are festivals way out here that although are not like the ones downtown, have their own unique flavor. Although it's grown quite a bit in the last year, it still feels small town. I like the fact that it only takes about 30 minutes to get to town, especially with the toll road here now. It takes about the same amount to get to Georgetown. I like our little bitty old downtown. One side of it burned down near the turn of the century and was never rebuilt. (Although, now they are thinking about building on the other side to match). And if for some reason, we leave too late to go boating on travis, We can still have time to go to Georgetown, Granger, or Bastrop and toodle around a little bit. It's kind of a mixed bag living close to my sister, because most of the time I want to strangle her and not having our own grocery store stinks. Other than that, no prob's. Oh, wait...High Water bills!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,643,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
...I agree with another poster that the NW area of Austin up around Pflugerville is really pretty.
Pflugerville is NE, not NW, and it's not pretty by anyone's definition I've ever heard. Are you sure you're thinking of Pflugerville? South of east Round Rock, relatively treeless, windswept, with nothing but corporate developments sprawling over the slightly-rolling hills?

We might just have different tastes, so perhaps you did mean P-ville and only got the NW/NE thing mixed up. But it's really difficult to wrap my mind around the concept of "artist" and "Pflugerville" in the same sentence. I guess it's time for the anti-elitists to shoot me for being a severe snob. I'd prefer a ghetto to those car-dependent remote McMansions with no trees and no context. If nothing else, we need to consider the fact that oil prices WILL keep going up, it's a finite resource and the demand for it is increasing rapidly. Plus, long commutes have been shown by many studies to cause a number of problems related to stress, family happiness, wasted time and wasted money.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:09 PM

277 posts, read 793,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Pflugerville is NE, not NW, and it's not pretty by anyone's definition I've ever heard. Are you sure you're thinking of Pflugerville? South of east Round Rock, relatively treeless, windswept, with nothing but corporate developments sprawling over the slightly-rolling hills?
hmmm. I did mean NE and I did mean Pflugerville, I think. We went there when my mom went to look at mobile homes.

I was thinking of the old downtown with cute houses, not the new tract houses. I liked that it had its own little main street and that it was still reasonably close to Round Rock and Domain type shops if needed.

I only went there once so maybe I was seeing things. I prefer the little funky neighborhoods, but my husband works for a company that's always at least 15 miles outside of any downtown. We can relocate around the country, and that's how we got here, but when we move, we try to stay within 4-5 miles of where he works and right now that's Oak Hill.

To be absolutely honest, I haven't found that much in Austin to do. I tried SoCo but it's not quite my style. I like craft galleries, but I have only found two here. One is really tiny (on 6th) and the other is Clarksville and they disturbed me because they mix real artists with cheap copy artists. I do like Austin - like the weather, the trees and the friendliness of the people. I lived in Southern California for 35 years and it's been quite an adjustment. The jury is still out on whether this will be my forever home.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM

273 posts, read 905,653 times
I see tons and tons of new stuff on the RE sites, I was beginning to think Austin had plowed under all its older neighborhoods! glad they are there somewhere!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM

174 posts, read 277,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Wow, could either of the previous posters be more offensive to those of use who choose to live here in the "hellhole" we call Round Rock?

First, I have to believe that neither of the first two have ever set foot in a suburb outside of Texas - because Round Rock is very different from most other suburbs I have lived in, in both Virginia and Washington state.

Second, both are likely not married with children, and thus can't appreciate things like quality school districts or any of the other plethora of reasons someone chooses to live in a suburb of a city.

Perhaps some of us live here because we work here? Everyone complains about the traffic. Live where you work... and this household happens to work at Dell.

Finally, embrace diversity. Isn't that what Austin is partly about? Live and let live? Some people like the suburbs. Some people are different than you.
Whe I used to live on FM2222, straight across the road from Uncle Nicks Pizza (if you don't remember that, then you're too late), we used to go to Round Rock to have a longneck at a joint that was really an old house call "Our Place!" On I think it was 128.

AAHHHHHHHH. Great Memories!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,643,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
hmmm. I did mean NE and I did mean Pflugerville, I think. We went there when my mom went to look at mobile homes.

I was thinking of the old downtown with cute houses, not the new tract houses.
I see. Yes, both P-ville and RR have very cute downtowns, small though they be. I'm glad they preserved those old main streets and I hope they zone some area around their cores for similar type of development in order to preserve the original historical character.

Just so you know, my bias is heavily influenced by trees and lack of uniformity. Thus, more trees = better (I'm pretty simple) and more variety of homes = better. That equates to me loving the following neighborhoods most on a strictly aesthetic basis:
1. Travis Heights
2. Pemberton Heights
3. Brykerwood
4. Tarrytown
5. Clarkesville
6. Bouldin

If I adjust my list to take voting patterns, local businesses, type of people, funkiness and other factors into account, then Bouldin tops my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
I see tons and tons of new stuff on the RE sites, I was beginning to think Austin had plowed under all its older neighborhoods! glad they are there somewhere!
The pattern in Austin is that there is MASSIVE amounts of growth and new construction, but the prosperity has actually HELPED the older neighborhoods because people can afford to restore old houses, do upkeep on their trees, fight to preserve history and charm --- these are luxuries that are sacrificed to practical interests in places where people are struggling just to eat and pay the rent. It's an irony we have to live with in every city in the world, change always brings good and bad with it and we can only try to focus on the good and hope that we're not impacted negatively by the down side of growth and change.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,121,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
DUDE! Ever seen the "Smug Alert" episode of South Park?? I think you might also like San Francisco...
You're right. The sprawling cookie cutter McMansions furnished with beige and white are so much more sensible and attractive.

Those stupid hippies in central austin should grow the hell up, and move into tract housing.

Downtown Round Rock is nice... I just can't fathom why you'd choose the RR area *over* any other semi-rural, bigbox flanked part of central texas (or the country.)

And as far as schools go, the Travis Heights area schools did just fine for me.

The point I was trying to make is that central, south & east austin are what makes the town different than other cities in texas.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 PM

26 posts, read 94,434 times
Well, those of you who answered the question, thank you! We still have about 6 months to think about it, but I just wanted some opinions.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM

225 posts, read 589,865 times
WHUUUUU WHOOOO JENBAR..........I mean if living DT etc.... means being negative, glad I choose my haven up here, where my husband drives less then 10 min. to work and he has lunch at home with us and he spends quality time with his family-hmmmmm, that would be a great reason to live in a suburb, not to be somewhere were you have to compete with who is cooler then who???, WHY doe's there have to be a competion of how negative one can be about a place they choose not to live!

With all that being said I enjoy where I live, it has wonderful things for kids to do all the time, lots of NICE people, you can get a house for the money you earn and not have to have a fixer upper, you are never happy with, you can drive to the city in no time at all, that is if you choose to go on non rush hour times and leave all the traffic and stress behind and come to a peaceful spot in our little world in a home we are proud of!

GOOD LUCK, making the descion, I would definitely think of traffic as main issue, my husband worked DT at first and the traffic is awful to commute in, it seems to most places to live,from what I gather on this board......but we are traffic free here and loving it!!

Last edited by newrrmom; 06-05-2007 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin