Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Why the hell would anybody move to austin - just to live in Round rock? Anything that far north is just so soulless and homogeneous.... why not just live in houston, or dallas - or any other stripmall/big box part of america?
Good schools, safe and affordable housing, lots of activities for my kids. The same reasons people live in suburbia all over the country. It's called parenthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
Anyone know about Georgetown, houses an ect Thank you.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM

659 posts, read 1,758,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I live in SxSW Austin. My "home" is central Austin. I loathe the suburbs and see no reason to live in them because they are not much different from suburbs of Dallas, Oklahoma City or any other generic place.

DUDE! Ever seen the "Smug Alert" episode of South Park?? I think you might also like San Francisco...

How refreshing to read about another S. Austinite's pride in their 'hood. I so rarely hear that from folks who live in that part of the city. I mean, I THINK those folks really like where they live, but I just can't seem to find any of them willing to open up about it and tell us how they really feel.

I DO see what you mean about that icky over-commercialized, superficial, capitalist-driven suburban Round Rock culture - it's SOOO passe... so 80's. If more of you SoCo'ers would just TELL us about your world - maybe we could BEGIN to get an idea of your unique organic, Earth-child culture so cleverly hidden in your half-million dollar homes furnished from Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.

Fortunately, you'll never have to worry about the peons from the 'burbs infiltrating your SoCo $350K + neighborhood - those dirty little working class families seem to revel in and even (gasp) ENJOY their "affordable" housing (SOOOOO narrow minded... they really should get out more - I mean GEEZ they get so defensive about where they live - you would think it was a mama bear protecting her "den" or something - I mean SERIOUSLY).

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalman View Post
Anyone know about Georgetown, houses an ect Thank you.
If you use the "Search this Forum" function and type in Georgetown, you'll find lots of threads that will probably answer most of your questions. When you're done reading, come back and start a new thread with specific questions you may have.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Back to the original poster's question...I live in NW Austin, up 2222 and west of 360. It's considered Austin, but most native Austinites would consider it the 'burbs. However, while we have plenty of the Walmarts and Targets and malls within 15 minutes, there are also tons of locally owned businesses (particularly restaurants). So I don't think of it as a cookie cutter area at all. I love this area because of the topography. I think it is the most beautiful area of Austin - the hills are big and the trees are plentiful. We are also only 20 minutes from downtown in non-peak hours, so it allows us to still enjoy all of the wonderful things about downtown while keeping our kids in a good school district and having a bit more room to roam around.

I think Austin has many diverse neighborhoods, suburbs, regions, etc. and there is something out there for everyone depending upon your life situation. You can still love austin and support Austin and local businesses and live in the suburbs. Some people don't...they just want to live in their area and have all of the suburban conveniences and that's perfectly fine too! If we all chose to live downtown and be "eclectic" then "eclectic" itself would become homogenized.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,758,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
I think Austin has many diverse neighborhoods, suburbs, regions, etc. and there is something out there for everyone depending upon your life situation. You can still love austin and support Austin and local businesses and live in the suburbs. Some people don't...they just want to live in their area and have all of the suburban conveniences and that's perfectly fine too! If we all chose to live downtown and be "eclectic" then "eclectic" itself would become homogenized.
Now THERE'S a reasonable, well thought out, articulate, intelligent opinion.

WELL SAID! And I AGREE!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I live in Oak Hill, a couple of miles past the Y. I like the country feel and easy commute into town. I like living on acreage. I like having a local small newspaper (Oak Hill Gazette) to help provide a sense of a smaller community, even though Austin is now a big city. I like that we usually run into people we know when we eat at local restaurants, again providing the illusion of living in a smaller community. I never encounter a toll road, except when I need to go to Round Rock. There are a lot of long-time Austin residents in South Austin, which I appreciate for reasons I can't explain.

All that said, I could be happy in any part of Austin. It's your friends, neighbors and community that make Austin a place great to live. That can be accomplished anywhere with the right attitude.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
All that said, I could be happy in any part of Austin. It's your friends, neighbors and community that make Austin a place great to live. That can be accomplished anywhere with the right attitude.

I 100% agree! This is what I love most, I think, about this area!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
DUDE! Ever seen the "Smug Alert" episode of South Park?? I think you might also like San Francisco...

How refreshing to read about another S. Austinite's pride in their 'hood. I so rarely hear that from folks who live in that part of the city. I mean, I THINK those folks really like where they live, but I just can't seem to find any of them willing to open up about it and tell us how they really feel.
You've done it again, got me laughing out loud twice this morning. Thanks for the reality checks. You're very good at putting things in perspective while being extremely entertaining. Ever consider writing a newspaper column? Seriously!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Back to the original poster's question...
Thanks for bringing us back on track

I live in the great hills area. I love it because we have hill country views and our backyard is the greenbelt, yet we are just a few minutes away from the arboretum and now the domain. We are about 15 minutes from downtown and 15 minutes from the lake (Travis). Even with rush hour traffic, it isnt that hard to get downtown (25 minutes).

The neighborhood really is a bunch of tract homes, but they are nice (new) tract homes that are very well built. A lot of the old neighborhoods that people love the charm of are really just tract homes from the 60's anyway

I like living on a cul de sac so that we dont have any through traffic and the neighbors are mostly young upper middle class professionals with growing families. We are having a cul de sac bbq on monday and the neighbors sit in their driveway everyday and socialize. In the summer everyone pool hops.

I cant wait until they make 360 a toll road, I love toll roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin