U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 8,880 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

**For those of you who are planning to critique everything I have to say and repost 'quoting' my questions without a nice or useful reply, please do not bother and waste my time. Thank you!!

Quickly, here's the deal: My husband and I are in our late 20's, expecting our 1st baby this summer, he is a carpenter, I am a preschool teacher.. we love the outdoors, weekend road trips, things like that. Do not need to live in walking distance to EVERYTHING, but would like a few things nearby so I can go out with the baby without the car. Currently pay $680 + for a huge 2 bedroom/2 bath apt. with a lake and wooded view in North ATL, would want to pay similar price for something as close to that as possible if we were to move (I know that may not be possible, and we are flexible, but any neighborhood recommendations appreciated).
Looking for a change b/c:
1) Skilled Trade: ATL is AWESOME, but the carpentry field seems to be better in Austin (I know no where is perfect at the moment, but it does seem better), is this true?
2) Weather: The humidity here is brutal, I have heard although Austin is very hot, but the heat is different..is this true?
3) Activities: We love outdoor concerts and festivals, and heard Austin is the place to be for a simple day out listening to live music..is this true? We also like to option of just going on a picnic and jumping in a local river/lake.. is that pretty popular there to do?
4) Crime: we live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but still every once in a while a local teenager will break into someone's apt. or car.. and that is in the suburbs.. Where I am from on LI, NY, we never had to lock our cars, and felt safe leaving the front door unlocked, too.. we are looking for a neighborhood like that.. anything you can suggest in Austin?
5) Diversity: We love Thai, Indian food, and not a lot of mediocre hamburger places & fast food.. would you say there's a lot of culturally diverse places around? Also, as much as we love spanish culture, we do not neccesarily like everything around us written in spanish..would you say that is the case being so close to Mexico?

***Thanks so very much for any help you can provide We are checking it out for ourselves, but I wanted to gather as much info as possible before hand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,358,293 times
1 - Don't know.
2 - Far less humid...might get a tad bit hotter than ATL mid afternoon.
3 - Lots of festivals, lots of parks. check out austin360.com
4 - i always lock my car doors...but always feel safe.
5 - not alot of things "written in spanish" around us...but some. quite a few mexican restaurants & taco joints...which is a good thing.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 PM

4,052 posts, read 6,348,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgomom2010 View Post
Hi Everyone!

**For those of you who are planning to critique everything I have to say and repost 'quoting' my questions without a nice or useful reply, please do not bother and waste my time. Thank you!!

Quickly, here's the deal: My husband and I are in our late 20's, expecting our 1st baby this summer, he is a carpenter, I am a preschool teacher.. we love the outdoors, weekend road trips, things like that. Do not need to live in walking distance to EVERYTHING, but would like a few things nearby so I can go out with the baby without the car. Currently pay $680 + for a huge 2 bedroom/2 bath apt. with a lake and wooded view in North ATL, would want to pay similar price for something as close to that as possible if we were to move (I know that may not be possible, and we are flexible, but any neighborhood recommendations appreciated).
1) Skilled Trade: ATL is AWESOME, but the carpentry field seems to be better in Austin (I know no where is perfect at the moment, but it does seem better), is this true?
2) Weather: The humidity here is brutal, I have heard although Austin is very hot, but the heat is different..is this true?
3) Activities: We love outdoor concerts and festivals, and heard Austin is the place to be for a simple day out listening to live music..is this true? We also like to option of just going on a picnic and jumping in a local river/lake.. is that pretty popular there to do?
4) Crime: we live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but still every once in a while a local teenager will break into someone's apt. or car.. and that is in the suburbs.. Where I am from on LI, NY, we never had to lock our cars, and felt safe leaving the front door unlocked, too.. we are looking for a neighborhood like that.. anything you can suggest in Austin?
5) Diversity: We love Thai, Indian food, and not a lot of mediocre hamburger places & fast food.. would you say there's a lot of culturally diverse places around? Also, as much as we love spanish culture, we do not neccesarily like everything around us written in spanish..would you say that is the case being so close to Mexico?

***Thanks so very much for any help you can provide We are checking it out for ourselves, but I wanted to gather as much info as possible before hand.
0) tough to find a 2 br 2ba in a decent area for $680, not possible to find one on the water. Houses are a better deal to rent right now ,but still not on any water. The three main bodies are lake travis, lake austin and ladybird lake and they are all premium properties

1)dont know, but you will be competing with illegal immigrants so wages may be lower
2) it is pretty dry here, much less humid than atlanta
3) We have some, but it isnt like they are happening all the time. On weekends there is always some place and there are a lot of restaurants that will have outdoor live music. You can have a picnic by a river/lake and then jump in. We also have tubing.
4) very safe in most areas
5) lot's of food choices, ethnic food isnt world class but still very good. Very little if anything is written in spanish. We arent that close to mexico.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,767,521 times
Been in Austin a little over a year and lived in ATL for many years. Austin is far superior to ATL hands-down. It's a great place to raise kids and that's why we moved here.

I'm not sure why you think the carpentry field is better here -- seemed pretty strong in intown ATL. Guess if you're in Dunwoody or Alpharetta, it's a different market. The old bungalows in Grant Park and EAV ALWAYS need work!!?

Heat here is dry. This past summer did have some brutal triple digit weather but didn't phase us much. I never get sweaty and gross like I did in GA. Then again it's so hot here, maybe I don't spend as much time outside in July and August.

I do miss dining in ATL. I have not found a lot of diversity in the places local to my neighborhood. The few places I've made a special effort to go to haven't been anything to rave about. I've had decent Indian food, so-so Vietnamese and crappy Thai. BUT you have breakfast tacos here and they're super yummy. Also I have to say that I don't get to dine out much so maybe there are ethnic places but I haven't had the chance to discover them...

Crime isn't an issue. Just common-sense stuff. Don't leave crap in your car. Lock your doors.

Lots of music, festivals and activities.

Haven't seen lots of Spanish signage or Mexican influence. I believe San Antonio might have a bit more of that? Not sure.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks for getting back to me, everyone. I was asking about things in spanish b/c around here if you go through certain neighborhoods EVERYTHING is in spanish, from banks to fast food places to supermarkets..and obviously TX is much closer to Mexico than GA. Anyway, thank you again

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,767,521 times
I haven't seen a Buford Hwy here yet... hehe

Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,600,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I haven't seen a Buford Hwy here yet... hehe
I don't care WHO you are, that's funny right there!
(Inside Atlanta humor)

Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,769,768 times
I can't speak for the whole carpentry trade in Austin, but I can say that my brother in law, who is a finish carpenter, and well known in his area, has had a rough year and a half - not much work. Before assuming that there are more opportunities in carpentry in Austin, I would check it out with people who really do know about the trade in general, and how it is doing here.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM

471 posts, read 723,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgomom2010 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have two suggestions for you. First, make a trip to Austin and find out where there is some homebuilding going on and go out and talk to the crews and find out about the job situation. The framing/carpentry trades in Texas are dominated by Hispanics which is either good or bad for you depending on your individual situation. You can also check it out and see if you like the restaurants, people, etc. If you are serious about moving to an unfamiliar place, you have to spend the money and visit it. There is no substitute for looking at a place yourself.

Second, simply peruse Craigslist online to find out what rentals are going for in Austin. No need to ask on this board, you can find out for yourself by using what most people in Austin will use.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 01-18-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin