Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM

371 posts, read 886,949 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to move to Texas this summer. I know...a summer move to Texas is not a good idea. Well, I wanted to know if anyone has moved across the country? I also wanted to know what company you used to move? Finally, I wanted to know if you could share the cost of the move?

Thank you for all of your help.

Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 AM

163 posts, read 318,672 times
uship.com is by far the best outlet for shipping services. it's set up like an auctin. you post an ad on the site, and private contractors or movers will bid for your service. when people are bidding for your move, you ultimately have the upper hand in choosing the best provider for your needs.

every bidder's provided services will vary. some provide full service moving, some only provide the actual trip cost, while you move the items in and out of the location yourself. some movers provide ample amounts of padding, extra plastic, boxes etc, while some only provide the basics. and like in my case, the mover didn't state in his bid that he provided full service moving, yet when he came to my location him and his assistant moved everything out of the old house and into the new. i was absolutely shocked and amazed. i felt bad and ended up helping them move my stuff anyway, i just didn't like sitting back watching someone working hard when i easily could have been helping. laziness is an enormous annoyance to me.

check it out, nothing is set in stone on uship, as you can always cancel before the shipping date. each bidder may have seperate policies, so just be sure to read everything carefully. i paid about $450 to have a 2 bedroom sized apartment moved from northern indiana, to austin texas.

Last edited by absolutely; 01-18-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,142 times
We used Movers | Moving Company | Berger Transfer to get from Phoenix to MN, and they have hub in Austin. Best moving company I've ever seen by far.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM

48 posts, read 135,729 times
I used United from Memphis to Austin and it was a good experience.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM

67 posts, read 193,072 times
I used ABX/U-Pack for a Cincinnati to Austin move last fall. Moved a 3 bed house, and the costs including my packing supplies and help to load/unload was just shy of $5K. Much cheaper option than a full service mover - you only pay for the space you use on semi.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
One of the things that kept me up at night was the worry: how in the hell are we going to get all this stuff/junk from here to over 1400 miles away? I'd look around at what pack rats we were and cried. One word: donate.

What took my worry of the move away: MAYFLOWER

I would use them again.

The crew we had treated everything as if it were their own. They showed up when they said they would, they loaded and unloaded, put beds together, etc. Nothing broken, all accounted for. Once I made initial contact with them I slept better. One less worry.

I packed what I could. Whatever I could not pack, they did with utmost care. They wrapped things.

Your price will vary. However, if you have a large home, large family, expect to pay from 4k on up.

I saved some money by going to the local recycle plant and picked up some nice packing boxes. People drop off their used packing boxes once they move, (nice boxes too).

My other reliable: duct tape!

Good luck and remember to have fun in the process. My saving grace was I kept thinking about the people that traveled this country in wagons. Can you imagine?

We are so spoiled.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

48 posts, read 117,785 times
I've just finished arranging a move from MN to TX....Berger Transfer has good reviews on both moving websites and Angie's list, and they have offices in both places too. We ended up going with Mohawk as the estimate came back a bit cheaper and they also have good reviews (and offices in both Dallas and Minneapolis).

My research suggested getting at least three estimates, using places that have local brick-and-mortar offices (not just internet quotes, there are many internet moving scams), and getting a binding estimate based on weight. Don't know your plans but most places will give you estimates for load/transfer/unload only, or with partial packing, or full packing.

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 PM

371 posts, read 886,949 times
Thank you all so much. This information really helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: