Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,515 times

Advertisements

I think you would have to travel to Houston or San Antonio before you would find any area even CLOSE to the crime levels that are found in Compton. The residents of Compton would KILL to have their neighborhood end up as good as the worst parts of Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Unless you spend 3-4 hours a day listening to single shot gunfire, automatic weapons fire and then you hear the sirens & police helicopters, it's nothing like Compton.

I used to live a few miles outside of Compton and my room mate and I would sit out on the balcony every night and listen to the gunfire, followed by sirens & helicopters. the gunfire would stop when the sirens started, then pick back up again after the police left. Amazing anyone was still alive there after riots...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,053 times
I'm the original poster of the thread and was just making a joke about the Compton thing.

Before I moved to Texas, I lived in the SF Bay Area and would have police helicopters flying over my apartment at least once a month or so out there too!

It almost felt like "home" here yesterday...sniff.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Round Rock will never be like Compton. Ever.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The residents of Compton would KILL to have their neighborhood end up as good as the worst parts of Austin.
Maybe if they stopped killing, then their neighborhood would be as good as Austin.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,634 times
I've never heard of Round RAock. But if you're talking about ROUND Rock, I would say that comparing it to Compton is crazy.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,299 times
...because a thug living in a 200K house in east Austin has no ability whatsoever to purchase a 200K house in Williamson county . Never say never. If north Austin keeps expanding the way it has over the last 10 years, it will eventually bleed over into Round Rock. It's already spread up to Parmer Ln with recent excessively violent acts of crime to attest to this phenomena. The first shiny suburb in Dallas circa 1980 was Plano. Everyone and their dog wanted to move there. Guess what's happened over the last 5-10 years? The housing stock has not been kept up, and the demographics and school performances have been sliding downhill to much hand-wringing of those who moved there at the peak. This is the eventual fate of all suburbs that have poor location. They are great when things are new and shiny, but if they lack good location, they are subject to suburban decay just like and other suburb in the U.S. I think that south Round Rock has about 15 good years left, but it's a game of hot potato, and it will be really important to know when to "cut and run". I know people in Wells Branch and south Pflugerville who are hedging their bets and doing just that due to changes they've witnessed. This part of town was alway destined to be the bad end of town, but the cheap land attracted tech companies and nearby housing. That line still exists, and north Austin is still a bad part of town as much as Round Rockers would like to forget. It will be interesting to see how that line between "good and bad" shifts with the 20-30 year old housing stock that's in place. I have no problem living next to low-income areas as long as I can live within 10 minutes to downtown, but for areas that have bad location, where people move to get away from "ghetto" they might need to keep moving.

Last edited by jobert; 01-19-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,053 times
Yeah, I started looking for houses out in Pflugerville, but quickly changed my mind...and found my home in Round Rock.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 PM

103 posts, read 211,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I can see the comparison.

Round Rock has trouble with the Swedes on the east side... and lord help you if you are caught in Ikea colors on the West Side. You can't make direct eye contact with ANYONE in RR, not on the streets or in the stores, or you're likely find yourself on the receiving end of an unwanted casual conversation. It can happen like that, just out of the blue, if you aren't on guard at all times.

Not to mention the Brushy Creek riots of '99. Those wounds run deep.
sorry...this was just funny. Made me snort laugh in a most unladylike way!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Yeah, I started looking for houses out in Pflugerville, but quickly changed my mind...and found my home in Round Rock.
and what is wrong with Pflugerville? Do you actually think, in the overall scheme of things, that Round Rock is so much better? Surely you jest mon frere. If the suburban decay prophecy holds an iota of truth, you bet your bottom dollar that it will affect Round Rock too. I can sleep at night with my investment in Pflugerville.

As for jobert's comment...yeah, ok. I've lived in my neighborhood for five years now...and if what I have is suburban decay (next to shopping, roads, low crime, yada yada..) then by all means, bring it. Austin ain't Polaris.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Round RAock has turned into Compton, Ca!
Have you also noticed George Will is turning into Snoop Dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin