Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 39,394 times

Advertisements

hi my name is josie im a kindergarten school teacher in phx arizona i have a bachlors 2 master degrees i have 14 years exp. as a teacher arizona is cutting full day kindergarten so i was thinking of moving my family to texas after the school year i was wondering if anyone knew if they are in need of kindergarten teachers in texas does anyone know what districts are hiring any info would help thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM

103 posts, read 211,167 times
If you go to Google and type in "teaching jobs in Austin Texas"...you'll get lots of sites that can give you info. (that's always a good first step anyhow...just to see what pops up!) My friend teaches Kindergarten in Round Rock. From what I understand there has been a hiring freeze for awhile within the school districts and teachers who are unable to get their own classrooms are taking up assistant teaching positions. Teaching is not the "can get a job anywhere" profession it used to be unfortunately.

At the very least you can get your resume together and send it out and see what happens. You might be surprised!!

good luck!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
What are your areas of certification and in what areas/fields are your degrees? Are you bilingual (English/Spanish) or SPED certified? Either of these might help your job prospects. Many elementaries have bilingual rather than ESL, so bilingual would help more if you are only available for elementary positions.

The job outlook is not...overly awesome, to say the least. However, if you are seriously considering the move, you should look at the state board of ed. website regarding certification - transferability, testing requirements, etc. as the process can take some time. Many districts also have online applications, so you could start filling those out even before you have your Texas certification. Some districts start hiring in around April when letters of intent are done, but many jobs don't open up until summer when the official deadline for teachers to resign occurs.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM

116 posts, read 362,301 times
Unfortunately the job outlook isn't that great. I just graduated from Texas State (one of the best teaching colleges in the United States) with my elementary education degree. I believe that in the December graduation there were about 200 of us. There will be more in May, more in August, and so on. And that's just one college. There are a lot of new graduates and certified individuals going back to work to compete with. Teachers aren't leaving the classroom in the numbers that they used to. There are far fewere positions available and just as many if not more people looking for them!

-Districts will cater to those who did their student teaching and graduated locally.

As others mentioned, you will have better luck if you are ESL/Bilangual or SPED certified. Also, you may want to be looking in the Houston area. During the job fair this fall at Texas State, I had school districts from that area emailing *me* asking me to apply and come work for them. Houston isn't the place for me though.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,392 times
i think i saw that leander isd was going to hold a job fair this year (last year as the job fair date got closer they cancelled, so stay on top of it) leander is an austin suburb with a great school system. leanderisd.org

Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,558 times
Default Teaching position available at summer camp

Hello! I am offering a teaching job and need someone asap!

You would be teaching 4th-5th grade students (approx class size 15) through summer. M-F 7:30 - 3:30. Would prefer someone who can work until August 13th when camp ends, but will consider applicants who will work at least 1 full month at a time. Are slightly flexible with schedule conflicts about the 7:30-3:30 time frame - contact me directly if you have concerns.

This is an academic summer camp with curriculum in Math, Science, Reading, and Social Studies. We have on-site tutors that work with the students one-on-one outside of class time as well. The camp is called Camp IW2H, or Camp "I Want 2 Help" and it centers around service-learning, helping others, and volunteering.

The camp was founded by our non-profit, [url=http://www.iwant2help.us]I Want To Help Austin Texas[/url], which has been going strong for 4 years now. Email us if interested, may attach resume, to [email]summercamp@iwant2help.us[/email] or call us at 512-554-8687.

Thanks!

[LIST][*] Location: 4600 Manchaca Rd[*] Compensation: $9-$10/hr depending on experience[*] This is at a non-profit organization.[/LIST]

Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,017 times
Where the hell do you see Texas State as a top teaching college???? Really you are telling me Texas State is up there with Vanderbilt?? Or Boston College? Or NYU? Columbia??? The only school in Texas that has a high teacher ranking is University of Texas at Austin. I can name a 100 schools that are higher ranked than Texas State.. I worked for the State of NY teachers and now I work for the State of Texas teachers and I have NEVER ever heard anyone say Texas State was a top teaching college. We look for students from schools up north before Texas.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
since no one knows what the state of texas teachers might be--I think your indignation on a post that is 18 mo old is a little out of whack--
Texas State started as a teachers' college primarily--that is where the US President LBJ got his degree and he even taught for short time in the Valley
there are plenty of people who have gotten teaching degrees there and been hired all over the state

and why do you need to curse on this forum for something so minor???

Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyPrez2081 View Post
Where the hell do you see Texas State as a top teaching college???? Really you are telling me Texas State is up there with Vanderbilt?? Or Boston College? Or NYU? Columbia??? The only school in Texas that has a high teacher ranking is University of Texas at Austin. I can name a 100 schools that are higher ranked than Texas State.. I worked for the State of NY teachers and now I work for the State of Texas teachers and I have NEVER ever heard anyone say Texas State was a top teaching college. We look for students from schools up north before Texas.

Yeah ummm Jenny I think they are speaking within the state of Texas....Yes UT Austin is a better school.... So is Texas A&M ( not sure about the teaching program there but it has to be good since it's such a great school) but I know plenty of TX State Teachers at some of the "top TX school districts...." Vanderbilt is a top ranked school, however I am not sure how many teachers graduate from TX high school, travel there to teach and then come to TX to teach..... Since if you want to teach in TX you would most likely wanna get your license in TX 1st if you can... And most teachers I know graduated from TX schools in TX........ not from up north.... don't be so RUDE.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin