U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,782,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I guess may real question would be, WHO LIVES IN SAN ANTONIO???? Are these people not aware that Dallas is just 4 short hours up I-35??

Are you not aware that San Antonio is the 8th largest city in the US? and not everyone wants to live in Dallas like you seem to think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Last edited by bgrn198; 05-11-2010 at 08:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM

702 posts, read 709,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ok, give me a break. This is in reference to yours and Quattro's post. Just because someone doesn't have a college education doesn't mean that they are not ambitious. I am a top tier college drop out, and fine with that. I make a great living and I'm still a relatively young 34. My skill set is portable. I can pick up and move to London and still be ok because as long as there are law firms there will be a demand for bright, skilled non-lawyer staff. My ambition made me get off my duff at 19 and get the technical training so that I could make a nice living. My ambition allowed me to parlay the $ I made to purchase my first home 12 years ago. If mediocrity means - family, nice job that fetches me a wage that I am totally fine with, owning our own home and not sponging off the government, then fine, I'm mediocre and proud. I don't need to live in a gated community, or a 500K house to have my good dose of happiness. I am totally fine with being middle classed and enjoying every bit of my hard earned money. My husband is a UT drop out, and I challenge the both of you to challenge his drive simply because he chose to enter the workforce. Seriously, I grow tired of posts like these.
He/She was referring to San Antonio as a whole, not individuals. Of course there are exceptions to every city but moving from a more Metropolitan city to SA, that is the feel I experience here.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM

12,365 posts, read 12,214,797 times
Quote:
I guess may real question would be, WHO LIVES IN SAN ANTONIO???? Are these people not aware that Dallas is just 4 short hours up I-35??
It seems that about 23 million Texans, including you, chose not to live in Dallas or surrounding areas. I guess it isn't nirvana for everyone.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM

560 posts, read 792,149 times
There's been a lot of talk about this recent New York Times article on the San Antonio forum, but I thought I'd post it here as well. It gives a pretty interesting overview of San Antonio, its history, and its social and political climate.

One of the most telling statements comes from Mayor Julián Castro (who is the topic of the article):

Castro knows that his future is a matter of constant speculation; given his age and his meteoric career path, it could hardly be otherwise. But talking about it is dangerous. “There’s a push-and-pull here,” he told me. “I’ve read about Bill Clinton, how he rose. Even Arkansas people who didn’t like him took pride in his success.” But in San Antonio, he added, “nobody likes people with big heads.”

The Post-Hispanic Hispanic Politician - NYTimes.com

Another very San Antonio-esque comment comes from his brother:

“When we went away to school, we didn’t know what to expect. At Stanford and Harvard, we were among all these people from the leadership class, people with fancy educations and pedigrees, and very often we were the only Hispanics in the classroom. But we listened to the people at Harvard, and I have to say, we were never overwhelmed.”

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,417 posts, read 20,513,221 times
Quote:
I guess may real question would be, WHO LIVES IN SAN ANTONIO????
Try posting that in the San Antonio forum and you'd get some answers.

San Antonio has its charms. I visit Austin for IKEA and Fry's, but every time I fight through the downtown Austin traffic on IH-35, I'm reminded why I have no desire to move there.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

12,365 posts, read 12,214,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Try posting that in the San Antonio forum and you'd get some answers.

San Antonio has its charms. I visit Austin for IKEA and Fry's, but every time I fight through the downtown Austin traffic on IH-35, I'm reminded why I have no desire to move there.
If you travel to Austin from SA - I highly recommend alternate routes. IH-35 is indeed awful in and through Austin. If I had to drive IH-35 everyday I would move.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 PM

3,009 posts, read 5,525,039 times
San Antonio is liking fine brandy you have to savor the taste of the most underrated city in Texas

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,701,901 times
Um ok. Did you forget this brandy was left out in the hot sun for 26 days before anyone noticed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio is liking fine brandy you have to savor the taste of the most underrated city in Texas

Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,782,416 times
Quote:
Um ok. Did you forget this brandy was left out in the hot sun for 26 days before anyone noticed??

These are the people that live in San Antonio the city you think is poor I wouldn't call these people poor all live in San Antonio.

Tom Benson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charles Butt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lowry Mays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red McCombs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Whitacre,_Jr.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,158,179 times
I think you're talking about the city you currently reside in.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin