Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times

Advertisements

Actually they are trying to develop a subdivision including multi family homes on both side of 1431 where Reed Parks is. 57 acres on one side of 1431 and over 100 ( I forget the exact number of acreage) on the other side. Needless to say when the citizens of Jonestown caught wind of this we all showed up at city hall the day the developers/investors were to pitch their plan to the council.

A committee of the people has been formed and is now involved with that. I haven't heard anything more of it in a few months.

Travisso will be the beginning of the end for sweet little Jonestown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 AM

88 posts, read 195,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The background behind the park....

Well first off you should know that because of the terrain, there are many valleys in the area. Almost every valley lies below the jurisdiction of the LCRA which means it is "open land" that you can hike on. That makes it rare among Texas.

For Jones Bros the community was making its own "rock dam" and they just decided to make it a park, since it was a de facto park anyway. The park is prone to flooding and it's alright.

You almost sound like a real estate developer.

Jonestown is an okay place if you want a family home that is cheap near the water, but don't expect the value of your house to increase very much. That's just the way it is and it's been that way.

If you plan to stay 10-15 years then yes it's probably a good investment.
I have a knack for it, but definitely not a developer myself haha. I’m actually just part of a young family. I wanted to find somewhere small, quiet, beautiful, and removed with great school districts and slower way of life to raise my kiddo in- but my husband works in Austin. That search for the right home with all those amenities- while still having to remain within reasonable driving distance to Austin was a nightmare. So it is literally a jaw dropping experience for me, as someone who lived in Spicewood back when it was still somewhat affordable, to find something like Jonestown. I don’t like big developments. I don’t need banks and restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance of my home- I feel like I’d be surrounded by parking lots.

What I’m saying is that I’m not unique for this. So many younger families are looking for those exact things I listed, but they feel trapped in Austin because of the commute. And most of them would be willing to drive out to dripping springs or Spicewood- some even will go to wimberley- but those places come with big dollar signs. For the families like mine, who can’t drop those kinds of bucks, a place like Jonestown is a real gem.

We hope to be here even longer than that, and even want to hold onto our little spot for our daughter to inherit. When I say the water is in walking distance, it’s no exaggeration. I def appreciate what the town has to offer. But I’m happy to hear that in the amount of time we hope to stay (30 at the least) our investment might actually be worth something.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Actually they are trying to develop a subdivision including multi family homes on both side of 1431 where Reed Parks is. 57 acres on one side of 1431 and over 100 ( I forget the exact number of acreage) on the other side. Needless to say when the citizens of Jonestown caught wind of this we all showed up at city hall the day the developers/investors were to pitch their plan to the council.

A committee of the people has been formed and is now involved with that. I haven't heard anything more of it in a few months.

Travisso will be the beginning of the end for sweet little Jonestown.
And this is why I always long to live in a small community. I’m happy to hear that Jonestown has a strong voice.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:21 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
It was quite a sight, I can tell you that! Comical at times too.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
It was quite a sight, I can tell you that! Comical at times too.
Did they decide to build that development??

Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
But all the crime seems to have dissipated. And with the kinds of school districts that the area is zoned to, it’s just not expected that this place be affordable. It's, at most, 15 mins from the nearest HEB. So it isn’t so removed from civilization. And only 20 miles from downtown Austin. Spicewood is 35. So many younger families that I know within the city of Austin would LOVE to transfer themselves and their families to areas that aren’t smack dab in the city, are close to the lake, somewhere near the hills, and on lots of land- all while avoiding those McMansion style developments. Spicewood used to be grungy seeming to people, but now trying to buy anything remotely close to the prices I can find in Jonestown is impossible. Plus- they don’t have the great school districts.

So I’m not sure what I’m missing other than the fact that, a decade ago there were meth heads cooking around the corner and the police force was new. Now. It seems like a quiet, peaceful place to me just waiting to be noticed. Plus that park, Jones Bros, is just amazing.
there are lots of areas like that with amenities, but undiscovered. Lots of people here have agents that take them to default master planned communities. They miss out on traditional neighborhoods with a lot going for them.

For example, around parmer and mopac are neighborhoods that are close in, good schools, and cheap - although they are being discovered now.

East austin was like that just 7-8 years ago. Most people follow the herd.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
there are lots of areas like that with amenities, but undiscovered. Lots of people here have agents that take them to default master planned communities. They miss out on traditional neighborhoods with a lot going for them.

For example, around parmer and mopac are neighborhoods that are close in, good schools, and cheap - although they are being discovered now.

East austin was like that just 7-8 years ago. Most people follow the herd.
I could never live in a master planned development. I hope, if the day comes for Jonestown the way it did for the eastside, that the master developments stay out.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Also: who are the utility providers in Jonestown? (Electric, gas, water)

Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
Also: who are the utility providers in Jonestown? (Electric, gas, water)
Do you want me to google that for you?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you want me to google that for you?
If doing that gave me the answers I needed, I wouldn’t have asked here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin