U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Steiner Ranch: taxes, rental houses, schools, aircon monthly cost, waiver, experienced realtor

Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 6,094 times
Default UK to Austin

Im hoping to move (visa permitting) to Austin from London.
I have been over and interviewed, have seen Steiner Ranch, really impressed, but quite surprised about how high the taxes are.

I have 2 kids one elementary age and I liked the schools there, but looking to rent first before I buy. Can you rent houses in steiner?
If I rented outside steiner could I still get my kids to the schools there on the basis that I was looking to move there when the right house comes up?

Are there any other similar places like steiner around which are lower on taxes?

Also Im using Amelia Bullock as a realtor what are those guys like?

Whats the monthly cost for Aircon for say a 4 bed house out there? We dont have aircon in the UK because its so cold, I dont want any nasty shocks on bills when I move out!!!

Sorry about this and finally does anyone know of someone to contact about renting when I get out there?

thanks,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 AM

8,472 posts, read 16,838,133 times
Yes, there are rental housesin Steiner, although maybe not as much as some other places. It is a little on the expensive end for most people to buy houses to rent out.

As for living outside Steiner and going to school there - I suspect that there are a few houses that might feed to those schools, but not sure. If you do not live in an address that feeds into those schools, it may be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to get some sort of waiver to allow you to go there. Really, though, I don't know much about doing something like that.

As for lower taxes, yes, there are places with lower taxes, but they tend to be either further out in an unincorporated area or closer in to the city of Austin - i.e. NOT like steiner. Note that the taxes will not generally be low...they will just be lower. There may be small variations in taxes between places like Steiner and Avery Ranch, etc., but not a lot.

As for the realtor, I have seen the name around a lot, but have never worked with them for anything. My advice is try to get an experienced realtor, regardless of who you use, and be very up-front about your expectations. It can be incredible frustrating to 'break in' the new guy/gal. You may want to search the forum for some realtor advice, too.

In the city of Austin, our monthly utility bill probably averages ~$220/month, with lower in the winter and higher in the summer. That includes waste, water, and electric. Someone indicated that $0.10/sq ft is a good estimate for cooling cost. I am guessing that is not a bad ballpark estimate, but have not really tested the theory .

Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM

2,342 posts, read 5,822,065 times
Default We are moving there this week and found a rental through

the website....Austinhomesearch.com then look to the left and you will see a listing for lease search and from there you can tell the app what you want and it will filter to find you something. We are renting in the area that we think we want to be in for work and schools etc. Schools are pretty tight to get a transfer into in the Leander Schools and I think that is what Steiner is in. I can pm you the name of our realtor that does mostly rentals and she was very nice and even we took a lot of time up she was very nice about that fact also!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 AM

5 posts, read 6,094 times
Default Thanks thats great

Cheers chaps, that gives me a really good idea of what to expect,

I really appreciate your time in replying and helping me out,

Thanks,

Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin