Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM

37 posts, read 136,549 times

Advertisements

My wife has recently been accepted to a PhD program at UTexas so it looks like we have to plan a move ahead of the pending fall semester. Ideally would like to move in mid-summer so trying to get as much of a head start as I can.

I am looking for any recommendations for recruiters that may specialize in the finance/accounting fields in the Austin area (it would at least help to narrow down the endless results from google). I have a corporate finance background with varied areas of experience and overseas assignments, can provide more detail via PM if it helps for some reason.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
Most companies right now are trying not to use recruiters when hiring. Cost savings. Austin is not a corp fin type of town. Highlight your accounting experience and you may get nibbles at some of the big companies. Dell, Freescale, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. Actually to be a bit more specific to the above I am geared more towards defense contracting. So ideally someplace to capitalize on security clearance and contract capture experience.

I'm finding the big companies in the area easily enough (BAE, CSC, etc.), but in the gov't game there are tons of small businesses that can be easily overlooked. Fedspending.org is providing good insights into contractors in the congressional district though, guess I'll just keep plugging away at it.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
Consider San Antonio. It is a big military town. You could live in South Austin and not have too bad of a commute.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Congratulations to your wife! And good luck to you also!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM

37 posts, read 82,115 times
I disagree about the commute from S. Austin to San Antonio- that would be a 1 hr one-way commute, easily, and really far longer than that in the morning.

I have an accounting/finance background and have encountered a couple of great recruiters in town-- however, they rarely have roles with government contractors. Check out URS, however, they had a couple of finance roles recently and they deal with government contracts. Also, since you have government experience you could try pursuing state finance jobs as there are a lot in Austin, being that it's the capital of TX.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Belated reply, but one-hour commute, that's my typical day currently. I live about 35 miles from my office, couple that with this being a waterbound area so there are tunnels that need to be traversed and I'm lucky to do my drive in under 45 minutes.

I'm finding some interesting leads in the area, it's just a matter of time and I'll likely have to open up to other industries which is fine since I'm used to moving between roles/markets on a fairly regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: