Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times

Advertisements

The "bark scorpion" is the feared scorpion in Arizona. It apparently has a very serious sting. It is light brown and it is described as small to medium size.

More:

Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The scorpion commonly found in Texas is the "Striped bark scorpion." It is similar in size and color to the Arizona bark scorpion. It has noticable stripes though head to tail in the body.

Striped bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:13 PM

680 posts, read 1,378,395 times

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

587 posts, read 1,414,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The "bark scorpion" is the feared scorpion in Arizona. It apparently has a very serious sting. It is light brown and it is described as small to medium size.

More:

Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The scorpion commonly found in Texas is the "Striped bark scorpion." It is similar in size and color to the Arizona bark scorpion. It has noticable stripes though head to tail in the body.

Striped bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for posting that! There would be my difference!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,454,733 times
I think nobody in SW Austin sees scorpions because they're all hanging out at my house ... lol. We see them on a regular basis, in and outside of the house. When we do see them inside the house they're half-dead and slow however thanks to Bulwark's every-other-month spraying here. My Schnauzer will report their location and they get scooped into a glass and flushed down the toilet. Never been stung by one and don't want to, so I take a few precautions to make sure I don't, like not putting my hands where I can't see them, shaking out towels and clothing that have been on the floor, and taking a quick peek under the sheets before I hop into bed.

Lately I've seen quite a few wolf spiders (as in 4-5 in the last month) on my front and rear porch. They creep me out. The tarantulas I don't mind a bit - they get a free pass. The wolf spiders get taken out with the closest heavy object, though.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM

97 posts, read 196,475 times
The reality is... ( As I live in the "Burbs" ) ...

Scorpions, spiders and carpenter ants... that's about it. All the others are just here and there and few and far in between. I found several of each in my house when we bought it brand new ( Had been sitting empty for two years with no buyers from the builder ) we sprayed the ants and spiders, and because we killed those, the scorpions left.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,514,276 times
Bugs?? WAY WORSE in Austin than Seattle. No competition. You haven't seen spiders until you have been to Texas. I thought the first wolf spider I saw in TX was a tarantula until I saw a tarantula up close and personal when my son who was 18 months old at the time was trying to pick it up. Made the wolf spider seem small. And loved it when my 2nd child (called Fear Factor baby by my neighbors) would eat June bugs. If you want to see enormous cockroaches? Hit the UT campus by the tower in June. Mercy, scary sized bugs. But really, just get pest control and you will be fine!! It's almost a necessity so budget for it.

I do have to add, I love hiking in the Seattle area not having to worry about snakes. I was a snake magnet in Austin. Was especially grossed out by the gigantic copper snake swimming next to our canoe in Town Lake...just a few weeks before I was going to do the Cap Tex Tri. Nice visual in my head during that swim. And fun hopping a coral snake on Barton Creek trail during a run. And getting the grass snake out of my neighbor's Expedition was a story to be retold again and again. Dropped out of a tree at our neighborhood elementary school onto her windshield, slip down into the car and eventually exited into a extra large ziplock bag strategically placed over her side mirror. With the aid of BBQ tongs, we got our little friend back to the wild. But only after every neighborhood kid got a turn running around with said snake in the baggie. Poor snake. Too many snake stories to count. Only saw 4 tarantulas in 12 years though. Too bad...I far prefer spiders to snakes.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 AM

197 posts, read 610,846 times
I love it!!! I would have paid money to be there for that snake!!! :-)

Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM

680 posts, read 1,378,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Bugs?? WAY WORSE in Austin than Seattle. No competition.
Amen to that. My main gripe is the mosquitoes. I love spending time in Seattle during the warmer months because people leave windows and doors open WITHOUT SCREENS because there aren't mosquitoes!

Every place in the eastern 60% of the USA has the same problem --- when the weather gets warm enough to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt, the mosquitoes are ready for dinner and you're on the menu. The exception to this is when you're in a large area where there isn't any standing water such as downtown or the UT campus, but residential areas and the greenbelts can be brutal.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,640,201 times
Before I moved here I would lay in bed at night and stress over the bugs that I thought I would find here. I was seriously freaked out. The first place we lived when first moving here was an apartment at 360/2222. There were huge tarantulas walking around the parking lot on occasion. I lost it the first time I saw one but then I thought it was kind of cool (this is coming from a person who is terrified by spiders). Plus, they didn't like me either. There weren't ever inside so no worries. When we moved into a house in Bee Cave we saw the occasional scorpion outside but they were much smaller than I had anticipated and lightly colored- not anything like those you see in pet stores. Now I'm fine and haven't seen anything as the neighborhood is more developed and they've moved on. I hate bugs more than anything and I hope I can reassure you that you have nothing to worry about. Welcome to Austin!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,273,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Amen to that. My main gripe is the mosquitoes. I love spending time in Seattle during the warmer months because people leave windows and doors open WITHOUT SCREENS because there aren't mosquitoes!

Every place in the eastern 60% of the USA has the same problem --- when the weather gets warm enough to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt, the mosquitoes are ready for dinner and you're on the menu. The exception to this is when you're in a large area where there isn't any standing water such as downtown or the UT campus, but residential areas and the greenbelts can be brutal.
I've still never seen mosquitoes in Austin. Even if they are here, they can't possibly be anything compared to what we got in coastal TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin