U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:29 PM

4,968 posts, read 9,779,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What I do dearly love is what my husband and I call 'whoopdeedo's' in Austin. An example would be getting off 183 at 360. You can stay in the left lane and whoopdeedo around to the opposite direction without having to wait for a light.
I hear a lot of newcomers complain that this happens to them accidentally, then they have to figure out how to come all the way back around again. Use to happen to me all the time when I first moved to Texas in 1981. I'd be going laong in the left lane thinking I was about to make a left turn when all of a sudden I'd be forced into a U-Turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM

277 posts, read 786,742 times
I both love and hate the access roads. I like that I can drive a long way without getting on the freeway, being a stop-and-smell-the-roses sort. I'm rarely in a hurry and like side roads.

Then again, it makes a heck of a mess if you need to get 290 North access rd and you are on the 290 south access rd. It makes getting on and off the freeways a mess.

Over all, I do prefer the California freeways (um, minus the traffic), gotta say.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:46 AM

187 posts, read 597,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Who CARES, really????????????????????????? Can't we all just get back to eating BBQ and discussing the relative danger of scorpions? Seriously. This thread is so not indicative of the welcoming nature of most Austinites I've encountered.
Why does this thread need to be representative or reflective of your experiences in Austin?

I really care about this topic, actually, because I study vernacular architecture and landscapes, everyday places and spaces that we take for granted. That's my job. I'm really interested in local practices. I know many other people, whether they consider themselves to be historians, or folklorists, or anthropologists, all are interested in this "stuff." Language is a major component of a culture. And language changes over time.

As Austin continues to change and grow, with the influx of new arrivals such as myself, its local road vernacular may change. Maybe in twenty years there will be so many people from California in Austin that it will be "correct" to call 111 either "the Airport Blvd." or "the 111." Then again, maybe the local vernacular will rule and hardcore Californians will lose their old linguistic practices.

Who cares, you ask? I do. I really care a lot. I find this thread to be very interesting. Certainly more compelling than the thread about BBQ, because I don't eat it. (Although BBQ, too, is an interesting local practice, as are the debates surrounding it, as in wet vs. dry, etc. And my husband loves BBQ, so I'm supposed to care about it by proxy. But I don't.)

But I would never suggest that people stop talking about BBQ because I don't eat it or care about it. I find the suggestion to be rather "unfriendly" and feel that it reflects poorly upon the reputation of Austinites.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 AM

117 posts, read 364,207 times
Have you had good BBQ?
I must admit, I was completely prepared to try it and leave it for good until I had Rudy's(which isn't even supposed to be good)
I found myself thinking about it a week later....

On the freeways--last week in Austin my husband and I left our hotel near the Arboretum to go to Buca di Beppo(I know a chain but we were exhausted)and in the mix of Mopac, 360and 183 we somehow ended up at the Domain.??? I'm not sure how my husband managed it, but we went with it and ate at Jasper's.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 AM

3,142 posts, read 5,742,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
ooh.. here are a few more:

- Burnet Rd (pronounced burn-it)
- Gaudalupe (pronounced Gwada-loop)
- Bexar (pronounched bear or behr -- county where San Antonio is)
Bexar is pronounced the way it is because we gave up trying to educate all them "furriners" in the original pronounciation. Bey-Har.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 AM

77 posts, read 303,321 times
"Language is a major component of a culture. And language changes over time."

Schoenfraun, how very true. And how wonderful! My partner and I leave today for Austin, with a closing tomorrow on our future retirement home. When we finally get ourselves relocated over the next several months, we will bring with us a melting pot of culture from New Orleans, a city that will celebrate its 300th birthday in 2017! When Austin was born in the 1840s (I think?), New Orleans was already over 125 years old and was well on its way to becoming the international city it is today. There have been many bumps and bruises along the way -- and I will resist the temptation to discuss the most recent one -- but the greatest gift of all to our land has been the people who have made up this grand old City. Original French and later Spanish settlers; Creoles from the Caribbean; African slaves and gens de couler libre who formed the nucleus of the trades and the cuisine and the music; "furriners" from the emerging United States who established the beautiful Garden District and the Uptown areas and expanded maritime trade; Germans, Italians, Irish, Greeks, and Scandanavians came prior to 1900. Large numbers of Vietnamese settled here after the Vietnam War, joining other Asians who had arrived in the early part of the 20th century. Now Western Hemisphere Hispanics are coming to help with the rebuilding of the City. Each group has added food, street names, impossible surnames, cultural venues that have become icons, and that a nonquantifiable degree of being, of place, that makes NOLA, well, NOLA.

We are so looking forward to bringing our version of NOLA to Austin, whose current wave of newbies sounds like the 21st century version of NOLA in the mid-19th century. What a grand gumbo all those folks made! We're ready to share our version as we become Austinites (and maybe Texans one of these days, after earning our spurs, so to speak. Does it count that my partner was reared in Texas, has a bachelors from UT and is a lifetime member of the Texas Exes? Can this LSU Tiger/Tulane Green Wave tag along??!)

I guess my bottom line is that Austin will indeed survive AND prosper AND grow in sophistication, charm, and cachet as she envelopes all her newbies -- even those from Cali and elsewhere who are the "THE" folks! As for us, we'll just be lost for awhile -- and very thankful for GPS devices! Thanks to all who post on this forum -- you've really made Austin "real" to this Louisiana gal. Great info!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 AM

117 posts, read 364,207 times
Well put!

Pardon my ignorance, but what's NOLA?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 AM

1,902 posts, read 4,599,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystonefarm View Post
Well put!

Pardon my ignorance, but what's NOLA?
New Orleans, LA.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 5,189,676 times
Default Austin as folk song?

As a soon-to-be newbie from the Great Lakes region, I have continuously scoured this forum for any tips, suggestions and local idiosyncrasies I can find. NOT because I want to forget where I come from and transform myself overnight into a legit "Texan" but because I want to understand the place as best I can before I get there so I can become a good citizen. I admire distinct regionalism greatly and it warms my heart that there are still places in this country (quickly turning into a coast to coast strip mall) that have unique qualities. What's the point of ever leaving your house if everything everywhere is the same?

I also understand the dynamic of long-time locals fearing the "stylistic gentrification" of their city from "furriners". That's what the pride of being "from" somewhere means. But I do think there is a fine line between pride and elitism. As someone born and bred in the (formerly) great Rust Belt, it should make Austinites feel great that people find your city attractive and are willing to move there. Where I come from, people would be glad to have ANYONE come here to raise their families, buy homes, spend money, start businesses, create jobs and make the place more vibrant and diverse. While I think Cleveland is a pretty interesting place with great immigrant history, old ethnic neighborhoods, Deco architecture, pro sports etc...it's pretty much circling the drain. It depresses me that the region my where parents worked so hard and chose to raise their family is such a wreck financially, structurally and ideologically. While it has many, many loyalists(I'm one of them), I think the folks here would gladly welcome a discussion over the pronunciation of local streets and/or freeways if people WANTED to come here and live In Cleveland when someone relocates from another city, the first thing people ask is "why"?

I think Austin's unique qualities and sensibilities will survive the influx of new and different people. Like folk songs, it is the interpretation, sharing and mixing of new ideas that contributes to it's survival. The main reason my wife and I are moving there in the first place is because of Austin's uniqueness. It's certainly not for the affordability!

Anyway, in fairness to the original poster, he did state that it was a "pet peeve", certainly not a rant.

Great thread!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 PM

111 posts, read 232,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Anyway, in fairness to the original poster, he did state that it was a "pet peeve", certainly not a rant.

Great thread!
In all fairness, this is true.
I discovered that I am a little sensitive to feeling unwelcome. I was raised on Oahu. We moved there when I was 3 months old. I spent the next 21 years of my life hearing, 'Go home Haole'. As far as I knew, I WAS home.
I guess some wounds never completely heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin